Air Bag fix

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Hope this might help someone. I have Firestone Air Bags and the Air Lift 72000 Wireless controller with compressor. The other day I tried to add some air to the airbags and got a COM ING message on the remote. For some reason I thought this meant connecting to the compressor. After it not working I called Air Lift technical help and was told that message means the compressor is not working. To troubleshoot I should connect the compressor directly to a 12 volt source. I connected the compressor to the battery and it worked fine. I called Tech help back and they were of no help and I suggested it might be the relay??? and I was told that was a possibility. I was told the relay is a standard GM 30 amp relay. I went to the local NAPA store and bought a 30 amp GM relay with 5 connections and replaced the relay. (only 4 wires are used). I tried the system and it is working fine now.

The moral is tech help sometimes doesn't have a clue. Air Lift does not sell parts to you (at least in this case) and sometimes you are better off trouble shooting it yourself. Posting this as a possible help to others who might have the same problem.

porthole

Retired
Jim, that relay is used for everything! You can get them up to 80 amps and various types of protection up to fully waterproof. Radio shack also carries them.

If it goes out on you again I would suggest spending a bit more for the Hella brand, and or bumping it up to 40-50 amps.
Your not increasing the load going to a higher amperage, just the load capability.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Jim, that relay is used for everything! You can get them up to 80 amps and various types of protection up to fully waterproof. Radio shack also carries them.

If it goes out on you again I would suggest spending a bit more for the Hella brand, and or bumping it up to 40-50 amps.
Your not increasing the load going to a higher amperage, just the load capability.

Thanks for the info I will keep that in mind. I did not get a waterproof one so I taped it up real good and hope it won't get wet. If it goes out again I will get a waterproof one. The NAPA store I went to in Huntsville, TX didn't have a waterproof one.