ATF: MPG - Lippert Hybrid axle bar for MPG

jearnest

Has anyone installed the " Hybrid" axle bar provided by Lippert as a replacement for their 3500 # axle on the MPG coach? Did it correct the tire wear on the inboard portion of the tires. No the unit was not overloaded. Everything that went into the unit was weighed and/or accounted for at full capicity (fresh and hot water tanks, propane tanks, etc.).

bigmaho

I haven't installed the axle bar, but I did have the inside wear problem and Lippert replaced the axle under warranty. I originally went through Heartland and they really didn't deal with the issue. Fortunately someone on this board suggested contacting Lippert directly and they were on it in an instant. I probably have 7000 miles on the new axle and no sign of inside wear. The trailer also tracks MUCH better. I had been having sway issues prior to the new axle and those problems are gone too. If your axle is still under warranty (2 years?) contact Lippert asap.

bigmaho

Curious how many people have had the axle problem with their MPG's? Besides for the mechanical issue, it's also a safety issue. I had 2 serious sway events that nearly threw me and the rig off the road. I'm wondering if Heartland should be more on top of this and possibly issue a recall if it seems there was a bad batch of axles. As I've said a number of times, when I reported the problem, Heartland told my repair shop, that it wasn't an axle problem and didn't authorize any repairs (without explaining why I had 2 tires bald on the inside after 6000 miles). When I called Lippert directly they immediately said it was and replaced the axle which solved the tire wear and sway problems. How many other MPG owners have had the problem?

jearnest

Thanks for the reply. I did contact Lippert and they will supply the Hybrid axle bar as a goodwill but will not pay for installation. My coach was built March of 2011 and I purchased it new in March of 2012 therefore no warranty. Looks like the warranty should start with the purchase date but that's another subject. The fact that customers must deal with the individual suppliers to Heartland makes the matter a bit of a problem. About the sway problem. Before I left for a 9000 mile trip to Alaska over the summer, I took the MPG fully loaded on a test run to the desert. With the water tank fully loaded (300 + pounds) I could not exceed 52 mph without severe sway. After the test run, I added a antisway bar and did not experience any sway on the entire trip. Love the MPG but have reservations about the axle.

bigmaho

I also added a sway bar which helped, but I still had one bad instance after adding it (on a long downhill I hit 70 without realizing it). Since my axle change I haven't had ANY sway issues. If any of your tires are showing severe wear on the inside, I strongly suggest changing the axle. If you reported the problem before March 2013 I think you can get Heartland to honor the warranty. My MPG came with a huge warranty book, but curiously, it didn't include the Lippert warranty. Are you sure the axle warranty is only 1 year?
btw, like you we love the MPG. Great little rig!
Billy

jearnest

Marc, I have no idea what the term "Hybrid" axle means. The term came from Lippert. I was told that at some point in time Heartland changed the specifications and/or design of the 3500# axle used on the MPG 180. The axle was out of warranty but as a goodwill jesture they (Lippert) were kind enough to send me the replacement axle. I have not had time to get it mounted but expect that to take place next week. Hope to try the new axle out sometime in January. Will post a thread on how it performs. Hopefully it will perform as well as bigmaho"s.

Ant

We bought our 2011 MPG from Mid West RV in St.Louis, this is our first RV love the trailer. We notice that the axle was slanted out and had asked the dealer to fix this issue. After they did some things like tighting the hub and check the tire, which by the way had inside tire wear. I took the trailer in again and had it winterized, I explained that this should have been taken care of when we purchased the trailer. They finally came back and said they would have to replace the axel, and Heartland would pay 65.00 for each tire. This seems to me that they new there was issues with the axel, Like I said I am new to RV's, not sure what kind of axel they are putting on. How many type are there?
Thanks.

danemayer

Hi Ant,

Generally, there is one axle type specified for any particular trailer model. Axles can be damaged during towing, including towing done by the transport driver on the way to the dealer. On occasion, axles, like anything else that is man-made, may have a manufacturing defect.

If you noticed a problem when taking delivery, the dealer should have fixed it correctly (new axle) before you took delivery on the trailer. And if there was uneven tire wear showing at the time of purchase, that would have been a good time to get tires replaced at no charge.

If the dealer didn't fix the axle problem correctly at the outset, perhaps they'll pick up the rest of the cost to replace the tires.

jearnest

Just returned from a short outting with our 180 MPG after having the axle replaced (see post dated 12-02-13). The new axle weighs about 40 pounds more than the original one. Hopefully the added strenght of the replacement axle will correct the problem with the tread wear that was occurring on the inside portion of the tires. At least now it does not look like the rear tires on an old VW car. Thanks to all the service people at Heartland and Lippert for their help. Pat and John

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
My Brother is looking at the purchase of a used MPG 180 - I believe I know the answer to this Question but Ill ask anyways - Does Lippert Warranty the Axle for 1 or 2 years and if 2 years is it only for the original owner? I will be getting the VIN number tomorrow - and calling the factory to determine if the heaver axle were install on this unit - or whether this one will be in need of an axle replacement. That would definitely alter the offer price on the trailer in my opinion.

Kevin

jearnest

Kevin, I believe that the warranty from Lippert is for two years from the date of manufacture. I was ask by Lippert to send them the part number for the axle which is located on a sticker near the center portion of the axle. My axle was slightly beyond the two year warranty but as a gesture of goodwill they sent me a replacement but I was respondsible for the installation. I bought the unit new so I do know if the warranty extends to the second owner. I suggest that you call Lippert direct with your question. We put over 9000 miles last summer on a trip to Alaska and were very pleased with the 180 MPG but the extra 8 square feet provide by the slideout sure would be nice at times. John

SLOPETE

Interesting to find at this late date, that I'm not the only one burning thru tires. My RV repair called Lippert regarding the axle. They were happy to sell me a new one and ship it for $500 to California. We are looking elsewhere as I do not have much faith in a Lippert product let alone their customer service. I bought the 181 used with little or no mileage on it with new tires. The left tire went bald on the inside on the first trip. Now the left one is doing the same.

GEZ

I bought a 2 year old MPG last spring, noticed the inside tire wear but did not know what it meant. Found out I needed a new axel, like many others. Sent the info the Lippert and they did send a new axel (no shipping charges to Canada either), and paid about half the install and half of new tire costs. Yay to Lippert and boo to Heartland...

They did did not care if I was the original owner or not.

I just purchased a mpg 182 last month It has been used twice since 2011. I just noticed the axle is tilting the wheels to the inside edge of the tires. I guess I have a Bad axle too. After spending the money to buy the unit I wonder if the company will still accept the responsibility for the bad axle. Now what do I do to resolve the issue.

Curious how many people have had the axle problem with their MPG's? Besides for the mechanical issue, it's also a safety issue. I had 2 serious sway events that nearly threw me and the rig off the road. I'm wondering if Heartland should be more on top of this and possibly issue a recall if it seems there was a bad batch of axles. As I've said a number of times, when I reported the problem, Heartland told my repair shop, that it wasn't an axle problem and didn't authorize any repairs (without explaining why I had 2 tires bald on the inside after 6000 miles). When I called Lippert directly they immediately said it was and replaced the axle which solved the tire wear and sway problems. How many other MPG owners have had the problem?

jimtoo

Hi dkmillette,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Call Heartland Customer Service, 574-262-8030 or 877-262-8032, have your VIN when you call and maybe even pictures ready to send. Don't know what they will do, if anything, since you are second owner and way out of warranty.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

PapaMikey

Hello... I own an MPG 181 and a neighbor down the street owns the 183 model (or whichever one has the bunks in it). They stopped by to tell me that they had a little incident with their trailer during our recent Easter Break. The wheel on the driver's side fell of while they were traveling down a highway. Luckily for all, they weren't going very fast at the time. They stated that the wheel and brake assembly all came off and rolled to the side of the road without hitting any other cars and causing any accidents. It is currently in the shop getting repaired, but the mechanic stated to them that it was caused by NOT GREASING THE WHEEL BEARINGS. Not sure if that is all true, or caused by a faulty axle that others seem to be discussing here. They said that they will let me know what the results were. I am sure that there must have been some damage also to the undercarriage and plumbing on that side of the trailer. I will update as I learn more.

jbeletti

Hello... I own an MPG 181 and a neighbor down the street owns the 183 model (or whichever one has the bunks in it). They stopped by to tell me that they had a little incident with their trailer during our recent Easter Break. The wheel on the driver's side fell of while they were traveling down a highway. Luckily for all, they weren't going very fast at the time. They stated that the wheel and brake assembly all came off and rolled to the side of the road without hitting any other cars and causing any accidents. It is currently in the shop getting repaired, but the mechanic stated to them that it was caused by NOT GREASING THE WHEEL BEARINGS. Not sure if that is all true, or caused by a faulty axle that others seem to be discussing here. They said that they will let me know what the results were. I am sure that there must have been some damage also to the undercarriage and plumbing on that side of the trailer. I will update as I learn more.

Do you know what model year their MPG is and when it was built? Did they tell you if they'd ever inspected the wheel bearings during their ownership thus far?

Hello PopaMikey, A lot has happened since I wrote last. Let me Start where I left off. The Axle problem has been resolved, Lippert replaced the axle with a new Hybrid axle at no charge plus an allowance for installation. When the axle was changed I had all the other components inspected and the bearings greased. The company sent new grease seals and other misc. parts. So far so good. the trailer is towing great and tracks well. If you have aluminum alloy wheels like we do you have to recheck the lug nuts on a regular basis. Some times they loosen up and will cause a problem. My trailer is a mpg 182 and we are having a good time with it, we go to Florida State Parks most of the time, the fee is half price for seniors and veterans. Let me know how your friend makes out with the repairs, and how many miles does he have on the trailer. Thanks for writing.

jearnest

Glad things worked out for you. We haven't had a problem with our MPG since I had the Hybrid axle replaced. jearnest