Dodge RAM 2500 - 3500 Factory Steering Recall - 1 Million Trucks?

Sajo

Fantastic......Have a 2012 Dodge Dulley 3500. We're heading Gulf Shores, Al. for Thanksgiving pulling a 3650 Big Country. I'm calling the local Dodge dealer tomorrow morning and hopefully they will help before we head south.

sajo

GOTTOYS

Thanks for the update. Hope and pray that no one else gets injured or killed.
seven crashes, NO deaths, two injured...Out of the many thousands of these trucks on the road, I'm not too worried. I have 74,000 miles on 2010 and it hasn't fallen apart yet. I'll just get it fixed this Winter when I'm in Texas....Don

wdk450

seven crashes, NO deaths, two injured...Out of the many thousands of these trucks on the road, I'm not too worried. I have 74,000 miles on 2010 and it hasn't fallen apart yet. I'll just get it fixed this Winter when I'm in Texas....Don

This was my thought on how responsible Dodge is being in doing this massive recall. Remember the Toyota debacle about cars uncontrollably accelerating (including an off-duty California Highway patrol Officer) and how Toyota fought fixing this tooth and nail in the courts.

MdMike

Got mine the other day for my 2500.... Gotta decide whether to do this and the next pm stuff or just get the new truck.....

Sajo

Talked to the local dealer last week...they hadn't seen any parts yet.

Received my recall notice from Dodge and called local dealer for appointment. Was told no parts available until Feb. even though recall stated repairs starts Jan.6.... Oh well, we're home for another month anyway. Local dealer did say they had checked many and the only bad rod was on a truck with 220,000 miles. I'll probably be "cracked" too when I get that far along.

Sajo

caissiel

It still do not fix the weak frame the steering box is attached to. The after market has the proper fix.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
When I was a Dodge tech it was not unusual to receive the recall info and not have parts right away, especially for the smaller dealers.
It was also not unusual to receive parts for a recall we had no information for.

And initial parts were usually shipped based on sales.

wdk450

It still do not fix the weak frame the steering box is attached to. The after market has the proper fix.

Cassiel:
I think many of us would like further info on this, and a link to the aftermarket fix, please!

On Edit: Looking through the aftermarket steering box mounting bars offered on E-Bay they all seem to be listed for 4 wheel drive trucks. Is this mainly a 4 wheel drive problem, or is the same bar usable on both 2WD and 4WD??

Last edited:

porthole

Retired

The first recall for steering that I "recall" involved steering box to frame issues (late 70's-early 80's IIRC). Learned some important lessons doing those jobs.

readytohitheroad

To All:

We have a 2012 Dodge 3500 DRW. Just got it back from dealer after we lost power steering while hauling a load of firewood. Very scary situation. Not sure if our loss of steering was caused by same issue as this recall.

I would highly recommend that if you own a vehicle under this recall that you PARK the truck until it is fixed.

GOTTOYS

To All:

We have a 2012 Dodge 3500 DRW. Just got it back from dealer after we lost power steering while hauling a load of firewood. Very scary situation. Not sure if our loss of steering was caused by same issue as this recall.

I would highly recommend that if you own a vehicle under this recall that you PARK the truck until it is fixed.
Park the truck?? NONSENSE..This is a tie rod end on the left side, has nothing to do with power steering not working at all...Why make people panic when you don't know what you are talking about? The parts are now delayed and won't be available until about April..I talked to Chrysler Customer Service on an unrelated matter and was told this the other day. This is not an emergency situation or Chrysler would tell you to park the truck, not somebody on the internet. Chrysler doesn't want to assume any liability related to this, nor do they want to put people in a panic mode. The sky is not falling. I will have mine fixed when it's time...Until then I'm heading to AZ. trailer in tow...Don

Gaffer

Called the local dealer last week. Said they were ordering parts according to what popped up with my VIN and will call me when the parts arrive. I am pushing 100k on the clock.

caissiel

It has been called the death wabble and here in the north it has been a cash cow.
My son and his friend had to fork out $2000 front end repair on their 2007 Ram 3500 SRW 4 x 4 at less then 80k miles.
As I think about it a loose rod could cause front end wabble.
Great that it can be done for free.
But a lot of Ram owners must have been caught by the problem prior.

I had front brake hose problem on a 76 Volare that I repaired properly. Received a recall for the problem and after an other 20k miles the new hoses failed again. So I remodified it again an drove the car an other 150K miles with no Issues. Just because it's a recall does not necessarily fix the problem.

We had the Toyota recall. I still get caught with the foot on the brake and gas paddle and l raises the engine RPM. The problem is the brake paddle goes down to far and with big boots both paddles are pressed. We have a standard and the clutch is usually pressed at the time. We drive all standards and it's the only one I have to watch.

gebills

Just got back from the Arlington WA Dodge dealer and a 30,000 mileservice Friday. They stated they had onerecall service bulletin for our truck, and that was to change the wiring plug onan oxygen sensor, which they performed in addition to the 30,000 mileservice. I’ll give them a call in themorning to verify no other recalls exist on our rig. Do appreciate the notice though. gebills.