F350 bed height and Gateway 3200

shurack24

Is anyone towing a fiver with a F350 SRW?
Taking delivery of our new Heartland Gateway 3200RS in about 3 weeks, and experiancing some anxiety over the height of our truck bed. My unloaded bed height at the tailgat is about 62".
The Gateway measures about 60" under the front area, as best I can tell parked in a gravel lot.
I know the truck will sag under the pin weight, and I am planning a "test" hookup (nothing like a real work test), but haven't been able to do that yet.
I also believe that I can swap the 4" axle riser blocks with the 2" blocks from the F250, but I dont have a desire to do that if I dont have to.
Is anyone towing with a stock F350 SRW and a simliar height fiver, and have you had to make and mod to the truck in order to keep a reasonable amount of clearance above the bedrails and keeping the unit basically level?
We are very impressed so far with fit and finish of all the heartland units.
Thanks in advance

brianharrison

I tow with a 2008 F350 SRW and Landmark - I don't believe the running gear is much different on the Gateway so should be "similar" height. I do not have any issues with bed height and towing level with the stock blocks on the truck.

My pin box is on the second lowest adjustment - I have one more set of holes that I could raise the pinbox up (effectively lowering the front of the trailer when towing). I have sufficient truck box rail clearance and the trailer overhang. I use a Reese Signature Series 18K hitch with slider.

Hope this helps,
Brian

Eddhuy

I tow the GW 3200 with a 2013 F350 SRW SB. The FW sits a little high in the front but not bad and no problems.

I tried to upload a picture but a no go.

shurack24

Thanks for the quick replies; most appreciated.
We're going with a Curt Q20. Thinking I'll set the Q20 to the highest setting for now, and try a test to see how much the truck squats under load. Then adjust the hitch down after checking the clearance.
Thanks again

Eddhuy

I have my Reese Elite hitch set to the lowest position to keep the FW more level. The bed rails are not going to be an issue, they are standard height. What you want to see ideally, is a level FW when connected the hitch. I plan to install Independent Suspension on the 3200, that will raise it about 1.5 inches and should be close to level.

jnbhobe

I was a little nose high till I put on the IS, They added 4 in to the frame. I had the pin box up all the way and the hitch down all the way, I have air bags for levelingand I have no clearance problems.

donr827

I have a 08 F350 and tow level after adjustment to the hitch. I have read that with some of the newer trucks have a higher bed height. Do not have any personal experience with this.
Don

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
You have to be aware that until your GW is loaded for travel you will not have away to guage the adjustments needed for your GW to set level.

shurack24

Right, acknowledge all points about keeping the rig level. I was mostly looking for feedback so I have an idea whether to expect the trailer to be nose too high when we take delivery in the next couple of weeks.
so, Eddhuy; have you found anything you are disappointed about with the 3200RS?

Garykcpa

I just purchased a 2014 gateway 3500RE. I tow it with a 2009 F350 super duty srw 4x4. My truck bed height is 57 inches stock. I have over 5 inches of clearance even with weight added for personal stuff. I was worried about the clearance until my first hookup. I have a curt 16k slider hitch. It chugs a little bit on city streets but this is my first 5th wheel so I am getting used to towing it.

pegmikef

I have a 2013 F350 CC DRW Long Bed 4x4 and when hooked up loaded I have almost 8 inches clearance with my BH3010RE. I have the 18k Reese Elite hitch with the factory prep for the fifth wheel and airlift airbags. Works fine.

shurack24

Thanks to all for the repsonses to my original query; most appreciated. We took delivery this past Saturday, and everything went well. We end up having almost 7 inches clearance and the 3200 is perhaps 1.5 inches high in the nose. Personal stuff will bring that down a tiny bit more; but essentially close enough to level to be called level.
Overall, i remain quite impressed with the Gateway 3200.

Eddhuy

The only thing I am disappointed with so far are the locations of the heat registers. The movable island will break them if not careful. I have replaced them with metal ones that look nicer from Home Depot.

We are extremely pleased with the GW 3200. For our needs, I don't think we have seen a nicer FW anywhere.

1_oldgoat

My '07 dodge 1 ton srw with a b&w turnover and anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch hooked up to our 3500 RE squats a bit more than it did with our bumper pulls, there is 8 plus inchs clearance and no need for a ficth wheel tail gate, i was a little worried as our property sits down quite a ways off the road height so pulling out i was expecting i may hit, no such trouble and the trailer is level, kind of worried that will chang when i install air bags but can adjust the hitch some so should be fine.