Bad timing I guess

ntsailing

Hello all,
We just picked up our new 2014 21FBS last week that was built in Sep. 2013, kind of getting an early jump on the next year I guess. :confused: With temps getting into the 20's tonight we had to go ahead and winterize. I guess we'll just have to take it out and not use the water systems and just use the bath houses. Anybody else buying this time of year? Usually I like winter but now I can't wait for spring.

GOTTOYS

Just carry a five gallon water container or two and use that. We start or Winter camping season that way when we head South. Pour some in the toilet to flush, make coffee, use it for washing and cooking. Dump the tanks when you're done. If you are running the furnace it most likely won't freeze anywhere. There is enough room in the tanks so if a couple gallons did freeze in there it wouldn't hrt anything...Don

sengli

We love to camp this time of year. The parks aren'y crowded, and the cool air is crisp and clean. we just stayed 5 nights at two different parks up this way, we were the only people in the entire park camping. But up here our state parks only keep bath houses opent till the end of November and thats it. We have dry camped several times before. Just pack you long jons! We bought both of our heartland fifth wheels new in october.

ntsailing

Thanks for the tips. I do believe we'll be carrying some water along. We do have a campground out on the lake that's open year round so we'll probably start there. After Thanksgiving, we should have a chance to get out away for a weekend.

noobee

"Pour some in the toilet to flush,"

I'm from the Great White North... when winter RVing we use windshield wash to flush ... liquids only, using the bathhouse for other stuff.

Lynn1130

I have elk hunted/camped with temps down to 15 F. With the exception of the low point drains nothing froze. The low point drains froze back up to the T in the line and stopped water flow but a little heat on them opened things up. I then insulated those and had no further problems. The threat of below zero finally drove us out but we had tagged out anyway so no big deal (we were just drinking Jamison and playing poker anyway). With a little prep you can avoid freeze issues.

Last edited:

ntsailing

I'm probably being a little over cautious being a newbie to this and all. But I am going to get out and start using it even it's in the 20's.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We go in the winter . . . we just don't use the plumbing in the trailer and rely on the campground for the shower and other stuff.

We have water jugs that we fill and use for cooking and coffee . . .

Campout2012-PC250007.jpgCampout2012-PC260022.jpgCampout2012Kitchen-PC270045.jpgCampout2012-PC270054.jpg

Now, pulling the trailer in the snow may not be the brightest thing I've ever done . . . :p

Baltbirds

We are heading out to Winchester Va. Thanksgiving week to camp with family. Were staying at Candy Hill. They have a freeze cut off when it gets to 32 degrees or less they turn off the main water valve so it does not freeze up. When we get there I will fill up my fresh water tank since I have a feeling it will get below 32.