Screen door and a 1-yr old

TxBanks

Newbie here! We recently purchased a 2012 26F Trail runner. Before we took it out, we were inside the camper with our one year old grandson and had the outside door open with the screen door closed. He loved looking out - but it did not take long for him to push the screen out. Has anyone put a guard on the screen? Something to keep it from being pushed out? We have had the camper 1 month, and have already taken one trip and going again next week. I know he's going to be trying to push on the screen again!

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Yes - you can put a guard on the bottom section that you can get from camping world. We have dogs and decided to add Plexiglas on both the top and bottom section, cutting it to fit in the grooves of the screen door. With a little one, not sure if glassing the door is the best route because we used only small screws in a couple of places (top and bottom) just to help secure it and making it ez to clean but might not be strong enough for pushing from a little one. Sorry I would post the website for camping world but the site is down for maintenance right now.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I used a modified expanded metal screen door pet guard from Home Depot. HERE
I had to cut it down to fit and screwed it against the bottom half of the door frame from the inside, so it would be difficult to push out. It also allows a good breeze to come through, unlike plastic panels.
I don't know why it got mediocre reviews, it worked great for us. Trace

Last edited:

wdk450

Here is my previous thread on the subject:
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...e-for-Small-(Grand)Kids?highlight=screen+door

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
We bought a piece of lexan and had it cut to fit the lower screen. I installed it with white velcro on the inside of the screen. It keeps our 100# puppy in and has not fallen off or broken in 3 years.

TxBanks

Thanks for all the suggestions! We just got back from a 3-day trip with our one-year old grandson. My husband ended up using a plastic grid made for a light cover, and cut it to fit the door. It worked great! I'll post a pic as soon as I am allowed.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
One a different note, if little kids figure out how to open the screen door, you can install a barrel latch on the inside of the door to make it more difficult. The typical screen door plastic latch can be pushed open without a lot of force, if it's not fully engaged. Our big cat figured that one out last summer.

TxBanks

Weather here has been nasty, so I have not been able to get a better shot of the screen door fix. But in this pic (my grandson is mad because his Pappa was outside and I would not let him go out!) you can see how my husband fixed it so he can't push the screen out.
IMG_2007.JPG

jbeletti

Looking good. His material choice gives you the security you need and still provides ventilation and the boy can still look through it (sort of). Thanks for sharing.