Ram 3500 Factory Air Suspension

DesertThumper

Here is another piece of information I received from Nick at Chrysler who is involved to some degree with the air suspension deployment for the 2014 Dually models. The air suspension can only be installed at the factory level due to various wiring harnesses for inter-connecting to the air suspension equipment including behind the dash work. So it will not be available for dealers to sell or install as an option. Nick said it would cost extensive time and labor and to be installed during each custom truck build order only.

GeoFish

I am not claiming to be an expert, but I have heard storiesabout air bags failing.
If you have an aftermarket system you still have yourfactory springs.
This came out of the Ram 2014 brochure;

The engineeringemployed by Ram 3500
SRW and DRW models is specific to
the task: a single leaf spring replaces
the multi-leaf spring, with air springs
mounted on top of the axle; additional
links on each side of the rear axle allow
the air springs and leaf springs to work
in tandem for load carrying

So now you only have one leaf spring.
If an air bag fails it tow time.
I am ordering a new Ram 3500 this week and I do not want a systemthat could leave me stranded.

GeoFish

dave10a

Air bags is a great option and are not prone to failure. If the air spring does fail there is no safety risk because of built in safety stops. If there were a risk many 18 wheelers, buses and motor homes would be pulled of the road. I think GM and Ford will adopt air bags because they make sense and their time has come. This will turn out to be another example as to why competition is a good thing.

ramdually4100king

People didn't want power windows and locks 20 years ago either.....:rolleyes:

Power windows will do you no good when you are upside down in an irrigation ditch (I will take roll up windows any day). Same with air suspension it will do you no good when you have a leak and are stopped on the side of the road while I blow buy you with leaf springs (though it is a rougher ride).

dave10a

I could still drive my motor home if the air bags failed and I suspect the same will be true for small truck air springs installed by the mfg. BTY my TrialAir hitch allows me to pull the trailer without air pressure as well. I fail to see why people could possible be against something that is beneficial like air springs.

porthole

Retired
My truck has the firestone kit which is very similar to the Dodge system. And from looking at the Dodge sites, it sure looks like Sanluis Rassani & firestone were involved in the development.

I can tell that with my truck, an air bag failure does not mean you have to be towed, But the ride does suck.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
I could find all kinds of things to worry about.

I am concerned that my air filled tires will begin to leak leading to a blowout causing me to veer across the road hitting a bus full of children. So for that reason I have switched to solid rubber tires. Now I am concerned that my headlights will fail me so I have added an additional 20 lights to my pickup.

It seems silly for the reasons given why the air bags are a bad idea. Look at the success that every semi has had. Now think how many you have seem parked with the chassis sitting on the axles because the bags failed??

This is the best deal from Dodge since a Diesel engine was first put in a pickup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

Not sure what the deal is with Firestone air bags and why there is no mention of Air Lift air bags? We just installed Air Lift 5000 with the built in solid dampner and love them. Concerning air bag failure with Air Lift there really is not a concern if the bag fails the enternal solid dampner will remedy the problem. Until Firestone incorporates this in their air bag, (dampner) we will stick to Air Lift. As far as Ram 3500 trucks riding stiff when empty, yes they do its a 1ton for crying out loud. Honestly,I would be concerned a bit if a 1 ton suspension in any truck was a soft ride. Glad Ram is going to offer air bags at the factory. For the diy folks after market is another great option and they are not hard to install. When we ordered our air bags we also ordered the air compressor with the wireless control and air gauge, we sent that back to the factory, decided to use our portable compressor.

emm4273610re

Heard from my local dealer that the factory rear air suspension is now available, cost is 1,600. for those who are waiting just thought I would pass on the news !! :)

porthole

Retired
Heard from my local dealer that the factory rear air suspension is now available, cost is 1,600. for those who are waiting just thought I would pass on the news !! :)

That aftermarket version of that kit is around $2300. Good price on the option.

This page has been updated. Air suspension is slated for April 4th.

http://www.donlen.com/production-trucks-chrysler.aspx

Interesting reading on that link, a 3.0 Inline 4 and 3.0 V-6 diesels are listed

hoefler

Which truck?? I had heard the 2500 could be ordered and possibly the 3500 SRW, but not the dually.

emm4273610re

Sorry I forgot to mention it is for the 3500 Dually . The 2500 has been available for a short time now according to my dealer.

scottyb

That aftermarket version of that kit is around $2300. Good price on the option.

This page has been updated. Air suspension is slated for April 4th.

http://www.donlen.com/production-trucks-chrysler.aspx

Interesting reading on that link, a 3.0 Inline 4 and 3.0 V-6 diesels are listed

That's interesting that the 3.0L V6 in the 1500 is not scheduled to begin production until 5/1. The salesmen are saying that they will be on the lots any day. Sounds like they meant any day in August.

driver311

air ride to 2500 only for now . 4/1 for 3500
1600 for 2500

kelgerman 1400 and not controlled through the radio. i have it and it is great

loudounrv

So does this mean after 4/1 you can order a 3500 with the air suspension? My dealer doesn't know anything about this option, so I'm trying to learn as much as I can. We went through the options for a special order and they never asked me if I was interested in the air suspension.

If I'm understanding this thread correctly, it sounds like this would be a nice option to have for TV, right?

alex00

So does this mean after 4/1 you can order a 3500 with the air suspension? My dealer doesn't know anything about this option, so I'm trying to learn as much as I can. We went through the options for a special order and they never asked me if I was interested in the air suspension.

If I'm understanding this thread correctly, it sounds like this would be a nice option to have for TV, right?

We are pretty close to the order point. They should be starting production in about a week. I understand it's going to be about a $1600 option. They use one leaf spring and rely on the air to carry all the load. It is supposed to be a very soft ride. Having put just over 1200 miles on my 14 3500 I am impressed with the ride. It is plenty soft. I got tired of waiting and pulled the trigger in December on an order. I'm sure the new suspension will be nice but I'm not sure about $1600 nice...

I added firestone airbags and an on board it compressor for half the cost of the factory option. I have a smidgen more functionality but unknown ride quality difference.

loudounrv

We are pretty close to the order point. They should be starting production in about a week. I understand it's going to be about a $1600 option. They use one leaf spring and rely on the air to carry all the load. It is supposed to be a very soft ride. Having put just over 1200 miles on my 14 3500 I am impressed with the ride. It is plenty soft. I got tired of waiting and pulled the trigger in December on an order. I'm sure the new suspension will be nice but I'm not sure about $1600 nice...

I added firestone airbags and an on board it compressor for half the cost of the factory option. I have a smidgen more functionality but unknown ride quality difference.

Thanks for the additional info, Alex00. If the firestone product offers a little more functionality for less cost, are there any benefits that the factory option might offer to make it worthy of comparison? Or do you think I'd be better off with the firestone option? In the next few weeks I hope to place an order for 3500 DRW Diesel and I'm shopping for trailers in the same weight and size class as the Cyclone 4000. Congratulations on your purchases, by the way! If you're picking up your trailer this Sunday, I'm sure this weekend can't get here quick enough! Good luck!

alex00

The way I see it, if the factory option was available, I probably would have done it. I really just didn't want to wait anymore. The added functionality is that I can use my on board air for air tools and filling tires. You can add on-board air for $350, or find a way to tap the air tank in the Ram OEM system for a few bucks. The big promise on the OEM air is the ride. Coming from my '05 3500 I expected a harsh ride in the '14 3500. That is not the case. The ride is still truck like, but very smooth. The advantage to the OEM system is that it will automatically air the bags to compensate for load. I don't know if there will be a user over ride to the height setting, though.

I don't know that the firestone system is an apples to apple comparison. $800 gets you all the parts (tank, compressor, bags, fittings, etc) but that was a self install. If you pay to have it done add $500. Now you are really close to the OEM price, with the addition of warranty. This is a long way of saying that I'd probably order the OEM air, and find a way to tap it for an air chuck. However, I have no complaints about the aftermarket system.

Thanks for the additional info, Alex00. If the firestone product offers a little more functionality for less cost, are there any benefits that the factory option might offer to make it worthy of comparison? Or do you think I'd be better off with the firestone option? In the next few weeks I hope to place an order for 3500 DRW Diesel and I'm shopping for trailers in the same weight and size class as the Cyclone 4000. Congratulations on your purchases, by the way! If you're picking up your trailer this Sunday, I'm sure this weekend can't get here quick enough! Good luck!