Fried Front Jack Fuse Holder Replacement

floridarandy

It had to happen at some point. Last trip out we hit the top of the front jack travel and burned out the 40 amp fuse. Trouble is that the fuse holder is also fried and will need to be replaced. The holder, as I assume most of you know, is connected to the wiring block and then to the switch that controls the front jacks. The run to the block is quite short but the run to the switch is longer and bundled with other electrical lines making it necessary to disassemble these wire bundles if the entire run of wire is replace with the fuse holder.

My question is whether the entire wire run on both sides of the fuse holder must be replaced or whether I can simply splice in a new fuse holder itself?

Thanks in advance.

Randy in FLorida

Netem

I see no reason you can't splice in new wire of the same size but I would soder it and use shrink tubing

GOTTOYS

Just splice in a new one. Be sure the replacement has at least the same gauge wire. You can use some heat shrink wrapped butt splices to easily install it. Just crimp them in place then heat the shrink tube on them for a good weatherproof seal. Put a mark on the legs and release the switch before the legs bottom out and this won't happen again. Many people replace the fuse with a self resetting circuit breaker. Some say this is not a good idea as the circuit breaker takes longer to blow and could result in damage to the gearbox. You can decide whether to do that or not. I use one but I always stop about an inch short of bottoming out the legs on the stops...Don

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Most of those type fuse holders allow up to a 30 amp fuse. Did your replace you 30 amp fuse with a 40 amp?

floridarandy

don't recall changing out for 40 amp fuse. previous owner may have but will replace with 30 amp.

anyone know by chance what gauge wire heartland uses for jack switch wiring?

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
don't recall changing out for 40 amp fuse. previous owner may have but will replace with 30 amp.

anyone know by chance what gauge wire heartland uses for jack switch wiring?

This photo of my landing gear power wire may be like yours........I added another 30 amp automatic breaker inline with the fuse wire. My fuse still blows if I retract the legs to far up. (painting a stopping stripe on the landing gear leg fixed my fuse blowing issues)

Attachments

• 30ampBrak.jpg
    30ampBrak.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 37

floridarandy

So the only fuse holders I could find in town were at West Marine and are rated for 30 amp fuse, BUT use #12 wire. I can't tell for sure but what's on the rig looks bigger (#10 or #8?). I did find #10 fuse holders on Amazon and will just have to wait a few days and use the #10. Anyone know for sure the wire size on the landing gear circuit?

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Heat shrink tube works but I have found liquid electrical tape at both Lowes and Menards, Much easier to use and can coat areas that heat shrink tube cannot. It is waterproof and fills gaps pretty well when built up. It only takes a couple of minutes to dry.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
So the only fuse holders I could find in town were at West Marine and are rated for 30 amp fuse, BUT use #12 wire. I can't tell for sure but what's on the rig looks bigger (#10 or #8?). I did find #10 fuse holders on Amazon and will just have to wait a few days and use the #10. Anyone know for sure the wire size on the landing gear circuit?
The fuse holder wire is larger (#10) than the system wiring and has more insulation. I looked at the motor supply wiring and it looks like 14 ga or at the most 12 ga so IMO stay away from a 40amp fuse.

GOTTOYS

The fuse holder wire is larger (#10) than the system wiring and has more insulation. I looked at the motor supply wiring and it looks like 14 ga or at the most 12 ga so IMO stay away from a 40amp fuse.
I think mine is a # 12 wire, could even be a #14..I don't have it here to look at. #10 wire is pretty big and will easily carry twice the load you need it to carry. If you splice it in the wire will be so short that it should have no problem carrying the load. Use a 30 amp fuse or breaker and it will work fine..Don

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
12 guage wire will be just fine for a 30 amp fuse. If use too long of a larger guage wire that is larger than OEM wire......it could cause a problem as Don stated.