Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hydraulic Front Landing Gear Issue

1. Print this Post   #1

Hydraulic Front Landing Gear Issue

I just bought a 2007 Heartland Landmark Monticello and have an issue with the hydraulic front landing gear issue.
    As I push the "extract" part of the switch the landing gear goes down, as I push the "retract" part of the switch the landing gear goes down. I cannot get the landing gear to extract (go up). The landing gear is now almost completely retracted, too low for me to get it on the hitch and take to a dealership.
    This is my first time pulling a fifth wheel - I've always been a Class C owner. I did a stupid newbie mistake and drove off after I unhitched everything, but.....the emergency break-away switch....that got pulled out. I replaced it. Could that have done something to the landing gear?
    Thank you in advance for any/all help.
    Steve

2. Print this Post   #2

Re: Hydraulic Front Landing Gear Issue

As long as you can retract the front landing gear you can always get a couple of bottle jacks under the front frame to raise your rig so that you can hitch up.
    If you have hydraulics, it sounds like there may be a stuck valve, or the switch is bad and not sending the correct signal.
    Hopefully someone with knowledge of that particular rig will chime in and have some helpful information for you.

Peace
    Dave
    Dave and Mary
    and C. J.
    2011 Bighorn 3585RL

2013 RAM 3500, CC, DRW, Aisin
    Heartland Owners Club
    Member #1026

Owners Club Membership is now free! Click here to learn more

Check out our Owner-written User Guides and Troubleshooting Guides

3. Print this Post   #3

The switch is toast, pull it out and go to an autoparts store for a replacement. Before disconnecting the wires, take a picture.
    If you aren't in trouble or causing no trouble, you aren't having any fun!! And I am having a blast!!!
    How about you??
    2019 Ram Limited Crew Cab 3500, 6.7 Turbo Desiel, 1,000 FTPD of Torque, Aisin, 4.10's, Max Tow, Towing Technology
    "Classic" 06 Landmark Mt. Rushmore, Mor-Ryd, Trail Air Air Pin, Disc Brakes, 17.5 Wheels & Tires ( 6,000 lb Cap @),
    Dishwasher, Induction Cook Top, and a few other improvements

4. Print this Post   #4

Dave: Thanks. Funny thing is that it extracted find when I lifted it from the hitch area --- after that it only would retract. I'm not a hydraulics guy, but I guess I better start learning fast.

Steve

5. Print this Post   #5

Thanks hoefler. I'll try that. I'll let you know if it works (or not).

Steve

6. Print this Post   #6

Part of the problem of me fully understanding is just like when Linda says "please turn the a/c down". But no matter I believe I understand that your pin is lower than the hitch.

I would get two bottle jacks and then jack up the front as high as they can go. Then take wood and put it under the frame being carefully not to put it under any lines etc.

then back lack off the jacks and let the unit sit on the wood braces.

Then put put wood under the jacks and jack up again then brace again and continue till the jacks can just barely move the rig to the right height.

Then hook up.

PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THIS PROCESS CAN BE REALLY DANGEROUS!

i would not use a single stack of wood and brace the wheels really well. Since you have to "push the unit backwards" while you hitch you want to have lots of bracing so you have some braces lest if one stack gets knocked over.

AND really make sure the jaws are closed on the hitch and don't remove all of the wood before you do the pull test.

Good luck.
    Gary Powell

2013 Bighorn 3010 RE
    2015 Chevrolet 3500 SRW Diesel

7. Print this Post   #7

From another post about the landing gear switch, I recall the suggestion to 'borrow' the switch from the stabilizing jacks and replacing the bad landing gear switch with it.
    Ted
    Member #1700 expired

2011 Ford Lariat 6.7PowerStroke CC LB 4x4

8. Print this Post   #8
    Original Owners Club Member jmgratz's Avatar

Be sure there is fluid in the reservoir. The fluid is transmission fluid. If the fluid is low you may have a leak. Also there are circuit breakers that auto reset that are located in the battery compartment. You can manually operate the jacks by looking at the rear of the hydraulic motor. You will see a fitting that you can put a socket in to operate it with an electric drill. Hope this gives you some direction. If all else fails you can raise the from of the RV using bottle jacks under the frame at the front. Good luck.
    Jim & Sheila Gratz - owners club #1018 Workamping as Sales Associate with SE Publications Certified RV Walk-through Technician [/I] 2013 Landmark San Antonio - full body paint - Fulltimer pkg, Yetti pkg etc., Mor-Ryde IS with never lube bearings and disc brakes. --previous 5er - 2007 "Classic" Landmark "Golden Gate" Replaced 9/20/13 2012 Ford F350 King Ranch Crew Cab fx4 dually, 6.7 L Husky Trailer Saver TS2 hitch "visit TEXAS - it's like a whole 'nuther country" Rally Site 414

9. Print this Post   #9
    Founders of SoCal Chapter Bob&Patty's Avatar

I would use the words "extend and retract" instead. At least thats what my switch states.
    Bob (Old cranky), Great wife Patty, 5 great kids, 11 grandkids

Callie the wonder dog (we are still wondering) and 1 crazy cat "Baby" (RIP at 18 years old). Callie misses her Kitty.

2013 GMC 3500 HD DRW C/C L/B with all the goodies (the grey ghost). AirLift 5000 with auto leveling. 34 gal custom auxillary in bed tank. Spray in bed liner and rubber mat. 16K Husky hitch.

07 2955RL BIG HORN #5103

58 Belair 2dr hardtop, low and slow custom.

HEARTLAND CLUB MEMBER # 1056

10. Print this Post   #10

Bob: Yes...you are correct - it is "extend" not "extract". Thanks.

Steve

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast