Silverado - Directv

rayeckles

We just purchased our Bighorn Silverado. Can't wait to take it out. My question is. We want to set up the satalite dish. We want to have bedroom and living room access to different channels using two boxes. How do we go about this? I have heard mention splitters. Then one of the associates we worked with said that line is for cable only. I think she doesn't have a clue. Others there state we can do a splitter. What do you all think?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Rayeckles and welcome to this great forum.
I moved your thread as you are more likely to get the answer from a user that has already dealt with this scenario.
A little more information would be helpful. Is the dish that you want to set up a portable cube type, dish on a tripod or a roof mount? What model floor plan do you have?
The only way you will be able to use a splitter is if your system is going to be set up using SWM.
Is this going to be SWM? You will need a power inserter if that is the case.
I, as well as others on this forum have set up these systems using both multiswitch and SWM.
Please provide the additional information and help will be on the way.

Peace
Dave

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Rayeckles, what Direct TV system are you planning on using? Either old or new should work and the set up depends on which system. The newer/newest receivers, Genie and client use the items Cookie was mentioning. The older systems have fewer use fewer doodads but it's still doable.

rayeckles

The system I am using is the tripod / direct tv

Hello Rayeckles and welcome to this great forum.
I moved your thread as you are more likely to get the answer from a user that has already dealt with this scenario.
A little more information would be helpful. Is the dish that you want to set up a portable cube type, dish on a tripod or a roof mount? What model floor plan do you have?
The only way you will be able to use a splitter is if your system is going to be set up using SWM.
Is this going to be SWM? You will need a power inserter if that is the case.
I, as well as others on this forum have set up these systems using both multiswitch and SWM.
Please provide the additional information and help will be on the way.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

Some (all?) 5'ers come pre-wired for satellite but I'm not familiar with the Silverado setup. I've attached a drawing of the satellite wiring in the UDC of our Landmark. If this is what you have, running dish output to separate receivers is simple. You connect the coax from the dish to the left-hand connector for the room you want to reach.

If you have only 2 coax connectors marked satellite in the UDC, you probably do not have rooftop pre-wiring and the two connectors likely go to living room and bedroom. I

f there's only 1 connector marked satellite, it probably goes to the living room.

=== connecting the dish to the UDC ===========

The type of dish/LNB makes a difference. If you have a Slimline 3 or Slimline 5 oval dish, the LNB on the dish will have either 4 coax connections or 1 coax connection. If 4, it's the older multi-switch LNB. If 1, it's the newer SWM LNB. If the dish is round, it probably has a single coax connection and is for standard definition signals - no high-def.

=== if the dish has a 4 connection multi-switch LNB ============

If you have 4 coax connectors in the UDC, run a separate coax line between the dish and the left of each connector pair as shown in the diagram. (Keep in mind that sometimes things get hooked up or labeled incorrectly, so if it doesn't work, you might have to try other combinations.) o

If you have 2 coax connectors in the UDC, run a separate coax line between the dish and each connector.

If you have 1 coax connector in the UDC connect the dish to that and you'll get signal to one receiver.

=== 1 connection SWM LNB ============

SWM requires a splitter and a power inserter. The power inserter uses 110V AC and sends a low power DC signal down the coax, through position 1 of the splitter, and into the SWM LNB. The power inserter can be located in the living room, in-line to the receiver. The splitter can be located in the UDC. The one wire from the dish goes to the input side of the splitter. The splitter outputs feed the coax connectors in the UDC, same as you would if you had the multi-switch described earlier. The unused connections on the splitter need to be terminated with a screw-on cap.

=== Round Dish with a single coax connection ============

The round dish can be connected to a satellite coax connector in the UDC. If you find an appropriate splitter, you may be able to split the signal and connect to a 2nd connector in the UDC. The round dish will only produce standard definition TV which offers a lower-quality picture on large digital flat-panel TVs.

=== 1st time setup =============================

It's always a good idea to connect the dish directly to the receiver (not using internal RV wires) the first time you go to set things up. It can be difficult to aim a manual dish and you can also run into receiver configuration issues. You don't need to complicate the setup with the possibility of a wiring issue.

Good luck.

Attachments

• Rushmore UDC COAX Wiring.pdf
    10.9 KB · Views: 23