Shower Drain Issue

DesertThumper

Hi Everyone. Before I get my dealer involved and take a few hours to hook up, tow and drop off, I wanted to post my question and get your opinion. The last two weekend trips with our trailer, we we would use the shower, the the water would not drain very well compared to our previous Fifth Wheel. It drains very slowly. Is there a quick remedy to check and or fix? I looked at the plumbing pipes below in the UDC and the piping seems ok but the tubing kind of looks strange how it is retrofitted. It's and up and down pipe setup where I see the water could plato in certain parts of the PVC pipe. I don't want to quickly judge and make drastic moves so your suggestions and experience would be helpful.

Thanks!

Al

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
You said that this has been happening in the last two times out.
Has it ever been good?
I would look closely for a clog in the drain.
Pull the strainer out and look below that.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

Have you checked for hair in the drain? The shower drains often have a screen with 3/16" holes. If you carefully pry the screen up (probably has 3 tabs giving it a friction fit), you may find a bunch of hair just underneath it.

DesertThumper

We just checked the drain again with the screen off. Completely clean as a whistle. I pulled the panel off and notice a small elbow that dips down 3-4 inches then back up to the remaining sewer. I'm wondering if that could be causing the backing up of water. Anyone else experiencing this or is it only me?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Based on your user name, DesertThumper, there is a chance that your P-trap is clogged with sand. :)

Peace
Dave

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The "P" trap is easy to remove (well maybe). Take it out and see if something is in it. The "P" trap needs to be there. If you removed it...you would get a nasty smell in your coach. All your plumbing in your house has them. The vent is a good idea to check also.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
It should be right below the shower pan.
I suspect less than one foot.
It is basically a horizontal S in the drain line.

Peace
Dave

DesertThumper

It should be right below the shower pan.
I suspect less than one foot.
It is basically a horizontal S in the drain line.

Peace
Dave

Thanks Dave. I just wanted to double check to make sure. If I don't ask, then shame on me. I was wondering about that particular area of the plumbing pipe when I pulled off the panel yesterday. The P trap seems foolish to be installed there where they could have just eliminated that and do a return pipe. That's just my two cents. I will pop off the cover in the UDC again and see if I can loosen it up and inspect.

rjr6150

Al
if the drain is slow purchase an item called blow bag. It attaches to your garden hose and sends a jet of water through the drain line to clear the obstruction. Used them many times when I owned a plumbing shop. They come in different sizes for the drain your drain should be either 1 1/2" or 2". See photo below sorry for some reason came out upside down

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    371.7 KB · Views: 51