Using dometic absorption refrigerator as a residental refrigerator

lordmetroid

I am going to need living for many years in my newly acquired caravan. I got a Dometic RMD 8555 refrigerator unit and wonder how are the build quality of these units? Can I expect the unit to continuously run on AC for say 10-15 years without any problems just like a normal refrigerator?

danemayer

Hi lordmetroid,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

The main active parts are the electric heating unit, the thermistor, and although the cooling unit is passive, it has to maintain its integrity.

I don't know that a lot of us have 10-15 years experience with a single refrigerator to be able to answer definitively. That said, I think the chemicals used in the cooling unit are corrosive, so as the unit ages, it's possible you could develop a leak in the cooling unit before you get to 15 years. Residential refrigerators can also develop leaks in the cooling system in the same time frame (probably from vibration), so I'm not sure it's any worse.

Seals will likely need replacement, just like on an aging residential refrigerator.

If you do have a failure, it's not that hard to get a Dometic refrigerator repaired or replaced, although it can be expensive compared to a residential refrigerator.

Pizzadigger

I just sold my 1996 Jayco TT . Complete with the original Norcold fridge. I lived in this unit as I traveled and worked construction . In all those years I replaced one electric heating element in the fridge.

marvmarcy

I would not consider using an rv refrigerator in a house for many reasons, but mostly because of the great cost difference, size and life expectancy of the cooling units. Home refrigerators use a sealed compressor system with freon 134 gas. RV refrigerators use a sealed adsorption system with ammonia gas. A home unit can last 30+ years (I know one that has run over 80 years without cooling system repair). An rv unit typically lasts 10 years. These numbers are based on personal experience, and actual numbers may vary.

dave10a

the modern home refrigerator is micro-processor controlled that is sensitive to voltage spikes and the compressors are sealed and the working parts submerged in oil. The compressors last a long time but the electronics are sensitive to real world power spikes. People who don't have whole house or other spike suppressors seem to have more break downs and repairs. RV absorption refrigerators are electronic controlled and depend on chemistry to work. The electronic part is sensitive to voltage spikes (or mores so) as home units. The chemistry part I don't believe is as reliable as an oil submerged compressor which can theoretically last indefinitely. I don't believe the absorbation units were designed for the same duty cycle as a compressor unit-- I may be wrong about that but the point is the application of use is much different so I would not want to compare their reliability.

wdk450

There is an entire other market for ammonia adsorption refrigerators - cabins and people who prefer to live off-the-grid. Supposedly Amish dairymen are a big user, hence the birth and growth of the Amish Refrigeration Company that makes cooling units reputedly better than the originals, sold by RV Cooling Unit Warehouse. The Amish expect things to work well for a long time.

dave10a

--- and many RV manufacturers are going to compressor driven stuff using ac/battery/inverter over absorption ac/dc/electric/gas. I am not sure why but I suspect they are more efficient and cool in the hot weather better. Absorption have a hard time achieving colder than 40 deg differential and need extra cooling fans for the coil while compressor doesn't. I can't say about reliability, but I suspect the compressor technology has a leg up. If my absorption fridge gives out, I will upgrade to a compressor unit/residential style because its better at cooling in hot weather.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
--- and many RV manufacturers are going to compressor driven stuff using ac/battery/inverter over absorption ac/dc/electric/gas. I am not sure why but I suspect they are more efficient and cool in the hot weather better. Absorption have a hard time achieving colder than 40 deg differential and need extra cooling fans for the coil while compressor doesn't. I can't say about reliability, but I suspect the compressor technology has a leg up. If my absorption fridge gives out, I will upgrade to a compressor unit/residential style because its better at cooling in hot weather.

Here is something to think about if you want to learn how to repair your absorption refrigeration system. Check out this link..http://rvrefrigeration.com/