Thread: Full body paint wash

1. Print this Post   #1

Full body paint wash

Checked out the manual for the full body paint, but it was dated 2010 so didn't know if the same paint was being used now verses then. The manual said not to use a bristle brush to clean with. On my other rigs, I have used a brush designed for rv's with the soft bristles, it is green in color for those who might have one. So, what is everyone using to wash with? Have looked for a microfiber mitt that you could put an extension pole on but haven't found anything that was bigger than 6" diameter, need something bigger.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW CC King Ranch
    2014 Landmark Savannah

2. Print this Post   #2

Re: Full body paint wash

Dave uses a lambs wool pad on a pole that he found at Camping World. You might check with them.

Pat
    David and Patricia Hole
    Mr. Sherman and Miss Mandi (woof, woof)
    Florence, OR
    2011 Landmark Grand Canyon
    2016 Ford F450 Lariat

3. Print this Post   #3

I think they want you to not use a stiff bristle scrub-type brush that could scratch the paint. I use a brush with hundreds if not thousands of very soft long bristles that does not scratch paint. I've used it on my last four painted rvs and it does not harm the paint. I'm more concerned about using something like a mit that could hold dirt against the paint and scratch it. Whatever you use keep flooding the surface to get the dirt away.
    Marv & Connie Marcy, Polson, MT
    2012 LM Key Largo
    2001 Volvo class 7 hdt, ISX 450/1650, Super 10sp, ET air hitch
    Mostly MT, CO, NC & Key West
    USAF Retired
    Rvers since 1979, fulltime since 2000

4. Print this Post   #4
    New York Chapter Leaders - retired murry135's Avatar

I use a soft bristle brush on both my TV and coach and have not found any issues of scratches. Dawn with my bristle brush and a few hours and it looks good as new.
    Darling wife "Colleen"
    3 wonderful kids; Rinne, Jaimee and Joe
    Faithful Companion; Samson (Rottie) RIP-Hanna 2003-2017
    2012 Ford F350 SD DRW Lariat Ultimate Package, Golden Bronze, Crew Cab, 6.7L Diesel 4WD, American Truck Workbox Bed Cover, Air Lifter 5000 Air bags with wireless remote fill, Reese Elite Series 18K for Ford factory prep 5th wheel in bed package, MOR/ryde HD Hitch, MOR/ryde IS w/Disc Brake package,Thousand Trails member

Rallies:
    2014 - April Summit Outting, NJ Rally, National Rally Urbanna VA, Ontario Canada Chapter Rally, Northeast Region Rally, PA Rally, MD Rally and NY Rally.
    2015 - Spring Kickoff Rally Lancaster, National Rally Goshen IN, Maryland Rally Woodbine MD, Northeast Rally Copake NY, NY Rally Verona NY.
    2016 - Spring Kickoff Campout Lancaster, Mifflinberg PA, Ontario Canada, Cherry Hill MD, Northeast Region Rally New Holland PA and Lake George NY.
    2017 - Gettysburg PA, National Rally Elkhart IN,

5. Print this Post   #5

I also use a very soft bristle brush on the end of the hose so water continually flushes the dirt away. Works well for me and never has scratched the paint. Good luck.

Larry & Marilyn
    plus
    Buddy (White Westie)
    F-250 Ford Closely Followed by a 29 MK Heartland Greystone

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body,
    but rather to skid in sideways
    Whiskey in one hand - Cigar in the other
    body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming
    "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"

6. Print this Post   #6

I use a soft, extendible handle "RV" brush and a large bucket with water and a good quality car wash soap (like McGuiars gold, or similar). Lots of dunking the brush in the bucket to keep the bristles clean.

I also wax once a year which takes out any swirls or scratches due to washing. Good practise to keep the clear coat protected from elements, but also makes washing a lot easier - crub comes off easier.

Brian

PS - I believe it is still the same painter - Precision Painting - and my unit has Sikens paint, plus clear coat - I am sure the manual is still valid. It is the clear coat on the top that is in contact with the soap/wax/brush. The brand of paint under the clear coat could change without affecting the care instructions, IMHO.
    Tow: 2008 F350 6.4L King Ranch Crew 4x4 SRW, H&S Tuner, AFE 4" Exhaust DPF delete, Ride-Rite, 51 gal underbed Titan tank SOLD
    Towed: 2011 Landmark Grand Canyon SOLD

Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470, 400ISL Cummins
    Toad: 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd (yes, it has a Hemi)

Where I have RV'd