Tumbling Trailer

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Today on our travels, we stopped at a rest stop. An SUV pulling a bunkhouse trailer pulled into the space ahead of us, and the family piled out to use the facilities and walk their dogs. Then, they loaded up and headed out, before we did.

About an hour down the road, a sheriffs car cane speeding past us, lights flashing. I mentioned, "looks like he's headed to a wreck."

Sure enough, we came upon an accident scene. Unfortunately, the SUV was hanging on to a tumbled trailer. The SUV did not appear to be damaged, but the trailer did not fair well. See pics I snapped as we passed.
yzejyre6.jpg
yzu4ejeb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speedy

Could it have been the strong winds that were forecasted? I know several RVers stayed until Sunday for the wind advisories to be dropped.

scottyb

I agree. Looks like a long trailer, short tow vehicle. Not a good combination...Don

Yep. Salesman tells them that it will tow 8K. I see this a lot towing boats where I live. They do OK until they hit the hills and curves.

One of my friends bought a TT toy hauler to pull with his SWB Denali. On paper, it was on the high side of the specs, but it fit. On the 100 mi trip home from the dealer, he changed his mind and decided he needed a Super Duty. That was w/o his two Harleys loaded in the back of it. The Denali had factory passenger tires.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
There was no wind to speak of. I don't think there were injuries, looked like wife and kids were sitting in the SUV, as a large tow truck was assessing the situation. There were skid marks in the left lane, but they ended up off the right side of the roadway.

Maybe a blown tire on the door side, caused a fishtail? Don't know.

The trailer was from Vogt RV dealership in Ft. Worth, TX. We were a few hours west of there.

caissiel

A friend tipped his light weight TT while pulling it with his GM 2500 HD CC long box while the truck was loaded.
I told him to get a heavier trailer if he wanted to tow safely.

All the hype about light trailers will only cause more sights like these

The trailers are built to light for the space it occupies with the walls.

Sent from my U8666-51 using Tapatalk 2

priorguy

The trailer was from Vogt RV dealership in Ft. Worth, TX. We were a few hours west of there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Anything to make the sale right. Guess it'll be a double when they go back with the insurance cheque.

sjs731

This happened just west of Wausau today. Not many details yet.
aqeretym.jpg

Steve and Carrie
HOC# 2252
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch
2012 Sundance 3300CK

Mizmary

Someday either RamDually or I will post about the travel trailer incident in Maine. It very nearly was as bad as either one of these photos. Drive safe everyone! Slow and steady may not win the race but just getting there alive is good for me!