PDI of used Big Horn

Rob327

What should I expect with a used Big Horn upon picking up from dealer? I want to check for problems, but how extensive should I go through the list?

jimtoo

Hi Rob,

I would spend a lot of time checking it out. Do just like it is a new unit, check everything from top to bottom, front to back. Try to have it hooked up to water and also drain so you can run water and make sure all the drains work. Just take your time.

Jim M

donr827

Do not forget checking the tires and see how old they are and if you see any damage to them.
Don

Garypowell

I would get the vin and call heartland.

I was looking at a Bighorn once and dealer told me it was 2008 and the 2009's were not out for a while. Heartland confirmed it was 2008 but added the 2009's had been out for several months. I went to another dealer as you might guess. If someone is not trustworthy in the small things.....watch out for the big ones. That dealer is now out of business.

I bought a 2009 but still used the 2008 price as a bargaining point and got a good deal.

It would seem heartland should be able to tell you the service history of the unit you are looking at....and if it has a history of problems at least you are aware of what they are and factor that into your decision.

A variation on this theme would be to ask them if any parts where shipped on this vin number. I have been very blessed that I have never had to use a dealership to fix a problem on a HL unit....but things have still broken. I fix them with parts supplied by HL.

An example from my rig is they shipped me a door for the upper left cabinet from the back of the rig. You might be able to guess that maybe I damaged that door when closing a slide. This would lead you to double check my wort, look for scratches in that area, and examine the slide and the facia board for any damage. HL might even tell you why the part shipped so you would not have to guess.

Good luck! If you get a good unit you can enjoy it for years!

pegmikef

Hi Rob,

I would spend a lot of time checking it out. Do just like it is a new unit, check everything from top to bottom, front to back. Try to have it hooked up to water and also drain so you can run water and make sure all the drains work. Just take your time.

Jim M

Here is a very comprehensive checklist someone posted a couple of years ago. It will give you an idea of what kind of things to check even if you don't use it in its entirety. IMO if the tires on it are Tow Max, I would replace them immediately without worrying about their age or history.

Attachments

• pdichecklistexample1.pdf
    303.8 KB · Views: 50

mobilcastle

Have them pull the hubs and check to see if their is grease on the brake shoes. Sometimes when people use the easy lube system the seal fails and grease winds up on the brakes. grease and brakes don't work well together.:cool: Have bearings repacked when they put them back together with a new seal. Good luck

Hoosier Wolverine

Definitely check the plywood floors of the slides for delamination and water damage Many have experienced this issue including me. It can be an expensive repair.

StephenKatSea

I've mentioned this one before. Determine the location of the "vacuum breaker check valve" on the black water jet system. If it is encased withing a wall, have them relocate it. And not above electrical units which may be below it in the basement area.

Rob327

Thank you for all of the suggestions. We purchased the unit, and the dealer is taking care of all the items we brought up.