2013 22fbs

989kipper

We are considering buying a used 2013 North Trail 22fbs from a dealer is there anything we should pay special attention too when we inspect it? We presently have a small travel trailer but this is our first experience with North Trail. Thanks in advance for any information Kip

danemayer

Hi 989kipper,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. We've got a lot of friendly and helpful people here who are quick to share what they've learned. I'm sure you'll get a bunch of advice shortly.

Let me start. You'll want to have a thorough walk-through to make sure you understand how everything operates and that everything actually works. If you can have the dealer do this with a full hookup, he can demonstrate the water system and show you the winterization controls.

It's a good idea to check the exterior carefully for condition of caulking, evidence of bumps or bruises, and even tire wear.

The original warranties don't convey to a 2nd owner on the trailer or any of its appliances, so whatever the dealer promises should be in writing. If you are considering a 3rd party warranty extension, read the fine print carefully to understand what is covered and what isn't, deductibles, and claims procedures.

mbopp

My first question would be "Why are the owners selling a 1-year old trailer?" Problems, or just trading up?

Danemayer hit the high points - especially checking the roof and tires. Even though it's only a year old if it smells musty, has water stains, or the floor feels spongy, run. This goes for any used trailer.
We looked at a used TT on a dealers lot but even though it was a year old they weren't even offering a 30-day warranty, it was being sold "as-is." We passed on it.

The 22FBS is a nice floor plan for 2 people, it's basically a stretched 21FBS with a couch. Easily towed with a properly-equipped 1/2 ton truck or big SUV. It probably comes in at 5,000# empty. My wife likes the big bathroom and all the storage space. I think the straight kitchen sink has more usable counter space than the angled one in our 21FBS.
We had the dealer make 2 changes - add gas struts to the under-bed storage, and convert the pedistal dinette table to free-standing using legs we saw in a Trailrunner SLE22. I made a few more mods here:

http://s1114.photobucket.com/user/starmaster1953/library/North Trail 21FBS

One pic I don't have is where I swapped the cabinet doors over the bed side to side, this put the hinges towards the inside of the bed so access is easier from the side of the bed.

There were a few minor issued I fixed myself, nothing that required a trip to the dealer. Overall it's worked out nicely for us.

I don't know if it's true for the 22FBS, but in mid-2013 there was a running change to the 21FBS slide. It went from a shallow, raised one to a deeper, flush slide. To do this the whole trailer was raised and it went from 2-steps to 3-steps on the outside.

One feature I wish it had was a slide topper. I'll be looking into one this spring.

pegmikef

Dan mentioned it, but I want to emphasize closely inspecting each tire looking for abnormal wear, cracking, tread separation, bubbles and anything else that doesn't look right, My NT came with Tow Max tires which did not turn out well. If you find any problem at all with them then make that a negotiation item if and when you make a deal.

d_fergie

I've had mine since July with no problems other than self inflicted, mine does have the 3 steps as mentioned above, check your dump valve levers / knobs for tightness, I had one work loose my first trip out.