New GM for Landmark

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Jim,

Speaking only for myself, and I've had both items you mention, I've not had either for many years over many coaches and I really don't miss them. That said, they both have value. We just need to do our best to gauge that value e to the consumer versus the cost, just as we do and will continue to do for all feature adds/changes. Thank you for the feedback Jim and keep it coming.

If you have ever had a water leak that cannot be fixed right away (like we did once) it was sure nice to be able to isolate the leak and turn off the water to that one area while still having water in the rest of the coach. That is a real value i.e. having water available while waiting to get the leak repaired and not having to turn off the water to the entire coach. As far as the toilet sprayer, how much does that add to the unit's cost, maybe $20 at the most. MHO

jbeletti

Landmark will likely look like the Redwood, don't ya think? Which, by the way, looks pretty sharp, to me.

From Tom Montague:
My goal is to make Landmark the best selling, residential, full-time fifth wheel on the market. To accomplish our goals we will need to:
  1. Listen to our customers
  2. Build product our customers actually want and can use
  3. Set the standard for Quality
  4. Back it up with the best Customer Service in the business

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I'd like to see Landmark get its own plant. That way, more customization would be possible.

porthole

Retired
Jim,

Speaking only for myself, and I've had both items you mention, I've not had either for many years over many coaches and I really don't miss them. That said, they both have value. We just need to do our best to gauge that value to the consumer versus the cost, just as we do and will continue to do for all feature adds/changes. Thank you for the feedback Jim and keep it coming.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say most never had the sprayer to miss it.
We had it on our first TT (2003 model). Haven't had that trailer since spring of 09 and I still miss the sprayer.

I "see" real value in that feature, especially considering how RV heads work.

Now a macerating head like we have in the boat would be a great option, albeit pricey.

dave10a

the thing that struck me most at the Tampa show last week is how flexable a manufacturer is for adding or making changes. I am a extended timer that switched from a Class A pusher to a Fifth wheel. Needless to say I have learned a lot about 5th wheels. The trailer/manufacturer that impressed me most for full or extended timers is the Life Style trailer. They seem to be the most willing to build to my specs and they build a solid trailer the really will work for full timers. My only concern is pulling one with a F350 SRW TV. The Life Style is a tad heavier than my Land Mark which is technically (by Fords specs) the max for my truck. Of course the sales person claimed that it would be no problem with the new TV's and many are pulling them with 1 Ton SRW TV's. We all know that we can trust sales people :) Anyway manufacturer flexibility, quality of build and engineering/workmanship is at the top of my list. Seems like all manufacturers like glitz and some put glitz over quality. I suppose they think that is what sells and are unwillingly to change their marketing model.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Another thing I miss in our new Landmark is the soft touch ceiling. The soft touch ceiling was very easy to clean with just a damp cloth. It also looked more expensive (probably was).

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
As long as we're giving opinions, mine as a potential "upgrade" customer, is that the Landmark should be a step above the other HL products. After all, it is the flagship. I can remember walking into one at the RV show back in 2008, just after we bought our first travel trailer, a 21fbs North Trail. I was so blown away at the quality and class in that Landmark.

Over the years, in the effort to be affordable to more people, it seems that simplified construction, less attention to detail in assembly, cheaper components, and trying to 'cookie-cutter" the assembly line with BH and BC, to produce more units faster, the Landmark has gotten a little "watered down." Like many have said, it's hard to see the difference in these 3 models.

A phrase we use from the printing industry may apply. "Cheap, Fast, Good. Pick Two."

Maybe making it the flagship again puts it out of reach for too many folks? I guess that begs the question! If Landmark really was "top of the line" with the quality and all the bells and whistles like we suggest, would we pay more for it?

dave10a

There are people who buy Lincolns and Cadillac's that can afford them and would say the same goes for mid to high end RV's. Building Ford or Chevy and then badge it as a Lincoln or Cadillac a little disingenuous and the people who want and can afford the higher end units will buy a Mercedes or Lexus instead.

RoadJunkie

For me, quality is my number one priority. And quality is designed in, that is integrated, and not lashed on. Often time flagship models are built up from a base model. That approach is transparent and easily spotted by the savy consumer. There must be significant upgrades beginning with construction, lamination, insulation, and weight-saving principals, that rise above base models. Improve what can't be seen; it should not be embarassing to showcase the plumbing and wiring. Improve air flow for HVAC, it should not be necessary for the end user to install tent-in-a-vent to get efficient, balanced, air movement. The external vent on the range hood could be more sophicated so that it doesn't flap in the wind and latched/unlatched from the inside. I'm sure you will get all sorts of feedback on this request for input.

Greengas

I am looking forward to seeing changes and improvements, especially in the QC area. That said, if he really wants to show that he can tackle a problem, let him take on the rear ladder issue.

hogan

Past Mississippi Chapter Leader (Founding)
Donna and I visited with Tom at the Tampa RV show and came away much impressed with his openness to our ideas and wishes. Obviously, manufacturers must carefully walk the tightrope between adding amenities and features to showcase their product and losing margin from the increased costs, but Tom struck me as the guy to get this done. I think he will prove to be a key addition to the Heartland Family, which by the way, we are quite proud of.

MTPockets

I am looking forward to seeing changes and improvements, especially in the QC area. That said, if he really wants to show that he can tackle a problem, let him take on the rear ladder issue.
My last Ladder post was moderated and was told "I" couldn't bring up the flimsy ladder issue any more.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
It's called "beating a dead horse", which is not allowed...you made your point...now move on to another subject!!

MTPockets

It's called "beating a dead horse", which is not allowed...you made your point...now move on to another subject!!
We discuss many topics repeatedly; DRW vs SRW, water leaks, quality control, and others. Can't see how this is any different. Besides, I'm generally not the originator of the ladder posts, just a contributor of opinion as many others are. Can't understand the sensitivity about this particular subject. Fix the ladder and it won't get brought up.
P.S... I'm sincerely just trying to be helpful. We love our Big Horn and bought it after extensive research into the overall quality of several brands.

T

TomMontague

Let me ask a ladder question since you brought it up - We don't make the ladder we buy it - is there another ladder on the market you feel is better? I'm always open to making improvements but on items we don't make in-house it would help to have some suggestions.

thanks,
tom

MTPockets

Let me ask a ladder question since you brought it up - We don't make the ladder we buy it - is there another ladder on the market you feel is better? I'm always open to making improvements but on items we don't make in-house it would help to have some suggestions.

thanks,
tom
Thanks for asking.. There have been many posts regarding 2 things: 1)the plastic ladder rung end caps breaking, and 2) the flimsy mount. Most notable is the. Ladder support which makes it sag when you step on it, making for a very uncomfortable feeling climbing a ladder that sags as you climb. I added two sets of supports to mine which cured the sag, but the plastic end caps still occasionally break. Atwood told me via email, they didn't get enough complaints to correct the problem, but sent me a bag of new end caps. From this forum, some others have rec'd the same, while some have to buy replacements.

donr827

We discuss many topics repeatedly; DRW vs SRW, water leaks, quality control, and others. Can't see how this is any different. Besides, I'm generally not the originator of the ladder posts, just a contributor of opinion as many others are. Can't understand the sensitivity about this particular subject. Fix the ladder and it won't get brought up.
P.S... I'm sincerely just trying to be helpful. We love our Big Horn and bought it after extensive research into the overall quality of several brands.

You are right MTPockets, How about Towmax tires.
Don

T

TomMontague

I will see what I can do to find another ladder manufacturer. I've looked at several and they all to appear to be built the same way. I don't think the ladders are designed to be used on a regular basis. We recommend getting on the roof maybe once a year to check for dry or cracking caulk, caulk voids, and debris. While we are on the subject - please don't walk on the slide roofs at any time. I'm sure most people know this but it never hurts to remind.

MTPockets

I will see what I can do to find another ladder manufacturer. I've looked at several and they all to appear to be built the same way. I don't think the ladders are designed to be used on a regular basis. We recommend getting on the roof maybe once a year to check for dry or cracking caulk, caulk voids, and debris. While we are on the subject - please don't walk on the slide roofs at any time. I'm sure most people know this but it never hurts to remind.
Seems I'm on my roof a lot. Cleaning roof, vent covers, A/C hoods, caulk, antenna lube, cutting back tree limbs in many campgrounds, etc... The roof strength was one of the selling points during the factory tour.

clubmgr

Heartland Owners Club Manager
Staff member
A phrase we use from the printing industry may apply. "Cheap, Fast, Good. Pick Two."

Erika: I had to laugh. We used to be in that business too and that quote is SO true. You just can't have everything. Pick two;)