New GM for Landmark

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I guess weighing 170 lbs. has it's advantages. My ladder is fine and I use it regularly during the summers. To safely use a ground ladder to access the roof would require one at least 16 ft. long and a means to secure or "foot" it. Any shorter and you risk a lesson in gravity,

mobilcastle

I have been up and down mine many times and have had no problems. I about 180lbs. Who knows what the future will bring.

lindaw

Florida Chapter Leader - Retired
I will see what I can do to find another ladder manufacturer. I've looked at several and they all to appear to be built the same way. I don't think the ladders are designed to be used on a regular basis. We recommend getting on the roof maybe once a year to check for dry or cracking caulk, caulk voids, and debris. While we are on the subject - please don't walk on the slide roofs at any time. I'm sure most people know this but it never hurts to remind.
In florida we have to get on the roof more than twice a year because of needing to clean more often but we use a ladder to access all but last two steps at top, however over the years and many rvs never had a ladder break, so I don,t see a problem.
LindaW

porthole

Retired
I will see what I can do to find another ladder manufacturer. I've looked at several and they all to appear to be built the same way. I don't think the ladders are designed to be used on a regular basis. We recommend getting on the roof maybe once a year to check for dry or cracking caulk, caulk voids, and debris. While we are on the subject - please don't walk on the slide roofs at any time. I'm sure most people know this but it never hurts to remind.

The new style ladder on the Cyclones appears to be much better then the previous versions (folding version)

I would venture to say, most of the RV ladders are menat for a max weight of 175, which many are not.
And as far as once a year - I think you will find many owners that are keen on their trailers will most likely be up on the roof more like once a month.

porthole

Retired
Tom
I walked into a SOB (one you are very familiar with) and besides looking at all the obvious stuff, I looked in the not normally seen areas.

One example was the front closet. Inside the closet the finish was the same grade as all the "visible" finishes.
Looking in the same areas of the Landmarks I saw raw and unfinished wood in some areas, in particular the cubby that is added for bedside storage.

Not a real big deal, but when two trailers are nearly side by side at a show and the price point is similar ...............

And I really like the idea of the rear outside storage trunk showing up on some the rigs (under the back window)

Greengas

Jim (sorry about that)

Is the new GM also over the section that works warranty issues for Landmark?

Last edited:

jbeletti

Tom

Is the new GM also over the section that works warranty issues for Landmark?

Ronn,

Tom is not over the service/warranty area for the brand he manages. We have a Director of Customer Service who administrates warranty matters and manages the customer service team.

Speedy

Tom,
Please look into a new ladder manufacturer, not a supplier. Spec out a real ladder, up to the task of being used several times a month. Have it custom made for Heartland and have it on the LM, BH and BC to lower the cost over three lines.

As far as walking on the slides roofs I was told, shown and toured mine with Heartland Techs when our roof as being repaired. Has something changed?

MTPockets

This is the reply from Atwood when I expressed my concerns about their ladder step ends breaking and the safety.
....... Atwood obviously doesn't get it. And, there are many who never complain, they just keep on fixing and ignoring this because it's the RV industry.

"Terry-

I do apologize but that is the only end cap we offer and the only solution is when they break is to replace them if you do choose so. We build thousands of ladders a year and unfortunately there may be hundreds that are complaining on forums like you say but there are also thousands of customers that do not have a problem.

Thanks,

Kara McAfee
Atwood Mobile Products
1120 North Main Street
Elkhart, IN 46514
(574)266-4842
k.mcaffee@atwoodmobile.com

Greengas

Jim

How do I contact that person? I am going to be bringing my rig in to finish up the warranty service and I want to have all the issues settled before I do. There are still several outstanding items where according to Camping World, they are in disagreement with HL.

jbeletti

Jim

How do I contact that person? I am going to be bringing my rig in to finish up the warranty service and I want to have all the issues settled before I do. There are still several outstanding items where according to Camping World, they are in disagreement with HL.

Ronn,

Call 877-262-8032 and ask for your service rep. If needed, ask for the service manager. Doubt you'll get to the director but your service team and if needed the service manager should be able to assist you.

Greengas

Jim

I've been down this road with the service manager, etc. That is what caused my frustration back in September. I would much rather discuss this via PM or other method then rehash it again in open forum.

Greengas

Ronn,

Call 877-262-8032 and ask for your service rep. If needed, ask for the service manager. Doubt you'll get to the director but your service team and if needed the service manager should be able to assist you.

Jim

I called today. Interesting. I spent almost 10 minutes explaining to the Colorado area service manager what the issues where. When he finally understood he forwarded my call to Ian who I am told was the original service writer. Left a voice mail for Ian. My issues are down to really just two, the dimples in the floor and the water damaged sub floor in the kitchen. I figure that HL already has all the photos, etc., from the dealer when it was in for service back in September so now it should be just coming to an agreement on what to do. The last input from HL was to simply put down a new layer of vynal over the entire floor. My input is that there is documented sub floor water damage and it needs to be replaced first. As for the three dimples that no one has been able to identify the cause of, my slide has been out since October and the three dimples are still there. That tells me that there is a problem with the sub floor. Should be interesting to see how this conversation goes :)

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

I have never walked on my slide roof but I was told by several on this forum and by rv repairmen that it is okay to walk on the slideout roof if necessary. ??????

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

FYI - Many owners who do not have slide toppers have to get on their roofs prior to leaving a park to clean leaves, pine needles and other debris off the roof. This means they may be using their ladders times a week. Also it seems many use the ladders to carry bicycles, lawn chairs and other items when traveling. Thought you out to know this. Also I have noticed on both of the Landmarks we have owned at least one or more screws seemed to be stripped out so they do not tighten adequately.

Greengas

Jim

I called today. Interesting. I spent almost 10 minutes explaining to the Colorado area service manager what the issues where. When he finally understood he forwarded my call to Ian who I am told was the original service writer. Left a voice mail for Ian. My issues are down to really just two, the dimples in the floor and the water damaged sub floor in the kitchen. I figure that HL already has all the photos, etc., from the dealer when it was in for service back in September so now it should be just coming to an agreement on what to do. The last input from HL was to simply put down a new layer of vinyl over the entire floor. My input is that there is documented sub floor water damage and it needs to be replaced first. As for the three dimples that no one has been able to identify the cause of, my slide has been out since October and the three dimples are still there. That tells me that there is a problem with the sub floor. Should be interesting to see how this conversation goes :)

Strange quoting my own post but here we are, almost a week later, and no call back from Ian. Frustrating, you bet. I simply don't understand why this has to be so difficult. So, at this point, I have done as requested, I have called HL, had my vin number ready, spoke to the Colorado Area Service Manager. Got transferred to the person who was the original service writer. Left a message. No response. Come on Heartland, you have a reputation for much better customer service than this. Now is the time to show that the reputation is well earned. Heartland already has all the information they need based on the last time my rig was in for service. Nothing has changed. It comes down to what HL says the problem is versus that both the dealer and I agree is not possible to have caused the problem. In the other case, it comes down to HL wanted to simply cover up the problem with a new layer of flooring versus fixing the problem. My goal, is to resolve these issues now so that when my rig goes back in for warranty service at the end of March it does not have to stay for a month or more while we hash it all out. How about it Jim. As the Director of Customer Interest, what do you recommend I do next? Am I asking too much to try and resolve these issues? I am open to suggestions as to how to resolve this issue.