Enlarged Kitchen Drawer

Garypowell

We certainly like the cabinetry of our 3010 but sometimes the kitchen drawers seemed a little too small. After elongating the drawers in the bedroom closet I thought I might try one of the kitchen drawers….well two in fact. After looking it seemed it would not be too difficult to remove two drawers and simply replace them with one deeper drawer.

In the sequence of pictures below you will see:

1. The old look of the drawers
2. The two drawers opened
3. The cavity created with the drawers removed. You’ll see a framing piece in the middle that has to be removed.
4. Cutting out this piece with a hack saw blade.
5. I outlined where the drawer face fit on the old drawer to help align it on the new drawer.
6. Shot of the drawer front with the drawer removed
7. Side by side comparison of one of the old drawers (3” deep) and the new bigger (10” deep)
8. I stained the middle section of the new drawer since with the two smaller drawer fronts there would be a gap.
9. New drawer installed.
10. Finished look

I ordered the drawer for $31 (plus shipping) from www.barkerdoor.com. Great quality but it takes about 3 weeks for your drawer to arrive.

The doors are made from ½” material instead of the 3/8” (my guess) that HL uses so they are heavier than the original. I had originally thought I would use both of the drawer guides but the fit was just too close.

I made a mistake in measuring. Being greedy I ordered a drawer that was 22” deep while the original drawers were only 20”. I thought there was room. There was not as I discovered when I first put the drawer in the glides. Turns out there was a hardwood frame member that was interfering with the back left hand corner…..by about ¼”. I marked where the interference was and notched out that corner about ½”. After that the drawer fit perfectly and I gained the 2” extra inches as planned.

This now makes for a great Tupperware drawer now!

Attachments

• 1 Old Front View.JPG
    1 Old Front View.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 220
  • 2 Old drawerd open.JPG
    2 Old drawerd open.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 193
  • 3 Cavity before cut.JPG
    3 Cavity before cut.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 193
  • 4 Hack Saw Cut.JPG
    4 Hack Saw Cut.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 191
  • 5 Outline face fit.JPG
    5 Outline face fit.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 173
  • 6 Outlined drawer fit.JPG
    6 Outlined drawer fit.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 165
  • 7 Side by Side Comparisson.JPG
    7 Side by Side Comparisson.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 175
  • 8 Stain.JPG
    8 Stain.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 165
  • 9 New drawer.JPG
    9 New drawer.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 197
  • 10 Finished look.JPG
    10 Finished look.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 180

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Nice work. As Red Green says, "If the women can't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy!"

priorguy

And if a woman finds you handsome and handy. You better marry her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Gary - nice work and you can't tell any difference from the after picture.