Loosing water from fresh water tank

HTWT

HTWT
Has anyone had any problems with water leaking out the fresh water tank drain tubes. I fill up at home and when we get to our destination we have only 2/3 (or less) of a tank left. At home when I fill, the water gauge shows full and the overflow runs, can’t put anymore in it. Additionally, it seems like the water pump is not as strong as it once was, water just seems to come out very slow. Shower works well after I changed the head.

jbeletti

HTWT,

I had water leak out of the drain tube when I was refilling the tank and forgot about it. It was not coming out the filler port, just leaking from under the trailer.

Sorry, I never checked the gauge, I just assumed it read full. I rarely fill the fresh water tank full but but I will check the gauge the next time I do.

Jim

HTWT

HTWT
Thanks Jim, It's just those few times when we boondock or drycamp, when we want to get-away from it all that I think I need all the water I can carry. I'm well set-up for it with the twins (2 honda eu2000i generators) but I'm always concerned about water, can't seem to go a day without a shower. Thanks again.

elwaller39

Evans & Lana
We have the same problem with a full tank at home and when we get to our camp site which may be 200 miles away the fresh water tank is only 2/3 full. We have notice that the over flow tube is always running out water when you go up a hill. Is this what we have to live with or is there something I am over looking. I would hope I am over looking something and can have a full tank of fresh water when I get to my camp site. Evans & Lana

Scott

One way that tanks empty...

What happens often with fresh water tanks as large as ours if that the owners hook up their water hose to fill the tank and then walk away and wait for the overflow tubes to start kicking out water to let them know their tank is full. While this may be more convenient than waiting and watching the monitor panel to monitor the water going into the tank, it often results in a "reverse vacuum". What happens is, the tank becomes full, and the water begins to flow out of the overflow tubes, but that overflow is not able to keep up with the amount of water coming into the tank from the hose. The result is, the tank begins to swell. (Note: there have actually been some who have caused their tank to swell so much that it caused damage to the coach).
Typically, a person stops the flow of water into the tank when they notice the overflow system kicking in - however - the tank may have already swollen up which means they can now have the reverse vacuum that I mentioned. It is very similar to cyphoning, in that the pressure now is going to go the other way, creating a vacuum, and emptying the water back out of the tank through the overflow lines. If a cyphone or reverse vacuum situation is created, it can actually keep going until the tank is 2/3rds to half way full before it stops. THAT is why some folks have problems filling their tanks up all the way.
The answer: ALWAYS be sure to keep an eye on your monitor panel when filling up your fresh water tanks. This will dramatically cut down your chances to create the reverse vacuum effect and loose the water that you were waiting so patiently to put in to the coach.

ST

Scott

Another Possibility

Concerning those who noticed some water coming out of the overflow tubes while traveling up a hill - even if you are not traveling with full tanks, when the coach is on an angle, yes, the water can get itself all to one end or the other and reach the top of tank and thus result is some water going out of the overflow tubes which operate through gravity.
One thing I will point out is that if at all possible, it is advisable to travel with very little water in your fresh water tank. This increases your cargo carrying capacity, your fuel mileage, and just makes the coach easier to tow down the road. Just a helpful hint.

ST

M

meanderingman

Loosing fresh water

This thread has been running since April 2005 and the company keeps making the fresh water tanks the same dysfunctional way. Why?

mnelms

yes why? What is the proposed fix from the factory? I followed the advise above, but still lose my H2O.
Mike

ChopperBill

Better put some valves on those three rouge vent tubes and rely on the one by the filler opening (if it isn't pinch off like mine was) like everyone else does. However, you had better make sure your tank has the proper added support.

Uncle Rog

I am having the shop turn the 90's from the tank to the vent lines from 3 o'clock to 12 o'clock and am adding 5' to each line with a valve on the end of each, then cable tying to the drain lines for easy access. I lose 5 gals of water from the fill station to the camp spot now......

jpmorgan37

Roger;
That sounds like a great idea and a solution to the "watering the highway" problem. Please do a followup post after you verify the effectiveness of this mod in "Ask the Factory".
Thanks,
John

ChopperBill

Rog, I bundled mine up and moved them to the area where the drain is so I wouldn't have to crawl under the trailer to turn them off. Only had to lengthen one line to get them all together. If you turn one off as it starts to spew water you are really don't have to turn the fitting up 90 degrees at the tank. When the last one starts to spew water you know you are pretty full.

Uncle Rog

Chopper, that is even a better idea, I think I will use your plan it is a lot cleaner than mine........

donabel

I am loosing 2/3 of a rtsank every time I travel. I took it back to my dealer after making an apointment 5 weeks ahead and sending them pictures of items needing fixed. I left it 9 days ( tough thing for a fulltimer with a dog) and when I came to pick it up and asked about items submitted for fixing, the answer was similar on all counts, "I looked at it and it looked OK".
1 of numerous items fixed(half fast) (slide issue) and I am now out of water and can't even flush the toilet. I came into town to buy bottled water in order to flush. Even wrong answers would beat "OK", which is what I have been getting from Heartland, the dealer, etc.
frustrated with the process!!