Propane Bottles

As an option on the Extended Stay 5th wheel units (36 ft or longer) Big Country, Big Horn, ie. to make make the compartment tall enough to accommodate 40 lb. bottles, or make it a standard feature with these units.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Are you sure you want to be muscling 40lb. propane tanks around? I'm not weak by any means, but wrestling the 30lb'ers into the compartment or the bed of the truck is difficult enough.

Westwind

I agree with John, I would much rather muscle a 30lb tank then a 40lb. What's worse is that I'm sure the manufacturers would sandwich them into the compartments just to make it easier LOL. If I had a wish it would be for someone to make an accurate gauge so we knew how much was in the tanks. To me it would help running out of propane in a tank. I really don't enjoy the guessing game. Fortunately where we are staying this year fill up is right across the street.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
I prefer to carry a 20# tank as an emergency backup. I already have one for the gas grill so no additional expense is required and the total amount of propane is more or less the same!

Speedy

Two 30 or 40 lb. tanks are better by far than what Open Range puts in their 5ers. Four 20 lb. tanks all mounted in the front compartment.

I understand their reasoning but I think it's amateur design at best.

olcoon

Was at a dealer yesterday looking @ Big Countrys & Big Horns & salesman had us look at an SOB. It had 3, 20 pounders in it. He said that way when you run out in the middle of the night you can to to Walmart or a gas station & get another one. I told him I was a Boy Scout long enough to know how to avoid that problem. Personally I think the real reason they do that is they are too cheap to put the bigger tanks in their rigs. BTW, we didn't like the coach at all, & he says it's their # 1 seller!!!

bsummit

Arkansas Chapter Leader-Retired
The 2014 3585 Big Horn compartments will accept 40lb bottles. I don't know about all the other models. I had one 40 and made a swap with a local dealer for another one. As for the difference in weight, one is bad as the other.

danemayer

2-40 lb tanks are convenient if you're running the furnace a lot. On the other hand, a 40 lb tank weighs 72 lbs full. The guys who fill the tanks don't ever offer to put them back in the truck after they're filled.

I have a folding hand truck for situations when I have to carry the tank to the refill station - like when we haven't unhitched.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We have the 40# bottles in the Landmark...like that they last quite awhile, especially in the temps we're dealing with now in TN, but I was able to pull and replace the 30# tanks in the Bighorn when needed...don't think I can handle lifting a full 40# tank...DH is on his own!!! Hope I don't need propane when he's gone...

JonV

Two 30 or 40 lb. tanks are better by far than what Open Range puts in their 5ers. Four 20 lb. tanks all mounted in the front compartment.

I understand their reasoning but I think it's amateur design at best.

A neighbour at a campground we've spent the last 5 years in has an Open Range. He's in getting on in years and cannot manage 30lb tanks. To him the 20lb tanks are important. I'm sure he's not the only Open Range owner to feel that way.

If it can help someone stay on the road and active then, to me, it's a great idea.

scottyb

Curious why some of the bigger full time rigs don't have large built-in tanks like most Class A's. You could have propane delivered and filled by a truck.

ILH

I prefer to carry a 20# tank as an emergency backup. I already have one for the gas grill so no additional expense is required and the total amount of propane is more or less the same!

That happened to me on my last trip of the season last year. About 6am and I woke up to a very cold RV. A quick trip outside confirmed both tanks were empty. Thank goodness my BBQ had a half full 10 lb tank that ran the furnace until morning.

JonV

Curious why some of the bigger full time rigs don't have large built-in tanks like most Class A's. You could have propane delivered and filled by a truck.

I'm guessing the reason is simply price and the time it takes for installation. They gotta make a price point.

jimtoo

I think it has something to do with safety laws or RVIA regulations that all propane must be portable/removable. Different from motor homes. If your set up on a permanent or long term site most of the propane companies will install a larger tank for you.

Birchwood

We have 40 lb tanks on our Landmark.We never have to worry about propane but they are heavy when full.Could we get by with 30 lb tanks....yes but we never boondock.We mostly use space heaters when cold.

jbeletti

Charles,

Bighorn now does come with space for 40# tanks. This change was based on feedback from owners wishing they could upgrade. Wish granted. Not sure about Big Country.