Bighorn 3160EL

dcwettstein

We have not seen this layout except on the internet. This is a new model, does anyone have one or even seen one? I feel we are getting a great deal from our local dealer but are hesitant due not seeing a unit. We feel it would be nice because you can sit directly across from the TV when watching. Any Comments? Would you purchase a floor plan you never seen except in a different brand fifthwheel?

DougS

Doug S
This floor plan was at the Tampa show last week, and I understand it is the only one to exist. I was told they are going into production in February. My friend is very interested in the floor plan and would like to see it in person. I took quite a few pictures for him and he liked what he saw. I might also be interested, since my goal has always been to get a live-able floor plan near the 35 foot length.

Bryced15

I really like this floor plan also. My only gripe with it is that it only has a queen bed. Wish it had the king size bed like the 3260EL has.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
We saw one this weekend. Nice layout and you can get to 1/2 of the fridge with the slides in but nothing else in the LR. Mama likes it, so here we go. A king bed would great, but I think we could live with the queen. I am going to call HL....cause I dont understand the GWR of the 3160 EL (15500#). Its 1500# pounds heavier than the 3260EL (14000#) which is a foot longer.

K

karykatz

bob and Patty, yes you can access half of the fridge when the slide is in. Also, the reason for larger GVWR, the 3160 is built on 7000 lb axels where as the 3260 is built on 6000 lb axels. However, starting 2/11/14 all bighorns will be built with 7000 lb axels. I hope this helps

dennych1

I saw this unit Friday in Sarasota and we loved it. It does max out my gmc 2500hd so I am considering wether to take a chance and go for it. It is a great floor plan.

mobilcastle

We changed our floor plan to have recliners across from TV- much more comfortable IMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SeattleLion

We have not seen this layout except on the internet. This is a new model, does anyone have one or even seen one? I feel we are getting a great deal from our local dealer but are hesitant due not seeing a unit. We feel it would be nice because you can sit directly across from the TV when watching. Any Comments? Would you purchase a floor plan you never seen except in a different brand fifthwheel?

I saw one at the Seattle RV show last week and bought it. It was the only one in theNorthwest. More are coming.

JanAndBill

Saw this one at the Tampa RV show last month. Like the layout with the kitchen flipped, but the lack of the King option is a killer for us. Kary why the increased axle rating is the 3160 heavier than our 3260????

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Saw this one at the Tampa RV show last month. Like the layout with the kitchen flipped, but the lack of the King option is a killer for us. Kary why the increased axle rating is the 3160 heavier than our 3260????

I think I saw a post recently where he said all Bighorns will now come with 7k axles standard. My guess is, competitive demand + streamlining assembly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K

karykatz

Jan and Bill, The only reason we changed axels is so that we could streamline purchasing and production. Allows us to stock only one axel at plant. I hope this helps

Thejones

How's the mileage with the 3260el, I LOVE it, considering buying one.

jimtoo

Hi The Jones,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. You will find lots of information and lots of great folks here with suggestions and helpful answers.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

danemayer

Hi Thejones,

Mileage will vary considerably depending on the tow vehicle. Since the 3260EL GVWR is 14,000 lbs, you should get better mileage than if you were towing a heavier trailer.

SeattleLion

I thought this thread was about the 3160 EL, not the 3260 EL. The 3160 EL is about 12,015 lbs dry. The 3260 EL weighs 11,845 with its 6,000 lb axles. It is heavier than some of the others because of the 7,000 lb axles I was told. Ours is in prep now and we may get it next Saturday if all the stuff (slide toppers, new control for the leveling (the one from the factory is cracked), and a 2nd battery) are installed. We love the floor plan and yes, I like a king size bed, but the queen means we will just have to sleep closer. We love the large bathroom, so if our bed is 6" narrower, we will cope. We will be towing it with a diesel Ford F350 short bed SRW. It's a giant investment for us, but the quality is very good. There are a few build problems on our coach. They aren't terrible, but one is clearly a workmanship issue: the pantry door is hung crooked and doesn't close properly. That should have been caught at the plant.

We were in our old camper today getting things ready for the trade. What a difference in quality! Heartland uses premium materials. Of course, the 27ft Kodiak cost less than half of the price of the 3160 EL, but still we feel that we are really moving up. If you like the 3160, I am sure you will like the owners club and the Heartland staff. They have been great to us even prior to delivery.

dcwettstein

We ordered a 3160 last Friday. Went to the factory the week before just to see one. they look great. We ordered ours with thermal windows, electric cord reel, fire place, Yette package, and a bunch more options. Don't know how long it will take to get it but we are hoping mid April. Want to full time in 1-2 years. I will be putting solar power on the rig so we can boondock with all the comforts except the air conditioner.

We were just informed that the rig will go on line 3/26/14.

When we were at the factory we were told that all Bighorns are now being built with the 7000 lbs axles. I would assume that would also include the landmarks and Big Countries because they are built on the same assembly line.

Last edited: