Ideal Trade Cycle

JanAndBill

Not that we are planning on trading anytime soon, but is there any "rule of thumb" on when you should trade up to a new model. Besides the obvious "new model fever". I was told once, that 3 years is the ideal cycle.

priorguy

I'm sure you want to take resale depreciation into account as well as increased price of newer units. But a good deal is always a good deal no matter how long or short a time you've owned a trailer. With trailers it's more about 1 foot'itus as my dad always said. Or the latest and greatest new gadgets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I don't think there is any rule of thumb when it comes to trade in or upgrading.

I am actually amazed at how often many here seem to upgrade their trailers.

We bought our Trail Runner a year and a half ago and will probably keep it at least 10 years or longer!

We owned our last trailer for 12 years.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I don't think time is as big an issue as is the condition of the unit being traded....We traded our 6 year old Bighorn last year. We got $7 k less than we originally paid, and still received almost 28% off the MSRP on the new one.

The unit was in excellent condition, with lots of upgrades we'd done over the years...so much so, that it sold off the dealer lot in less than two weeks. It all depends on if the dealer can or cannot turn over the trade quickly...IMO.

happykraut

Model years we've owned are 1997, 2002, 2007, 2012, 2014. Now I think we're done for a long time, maybe forever.

MCTalley

I overheard some discussion recently regarding the age of the unit and after some point where it would get difficult for a new owner to get any kind of financing due to age, thus rendering the unit fairly useless to a dealer for trade-in and difficult to sell outright. Can't remember details, though.

Personally, we had planned on keeping ours a long time (8-10 years?) before considering another.

priorguy

Loans in Canada are probably different but it's 20 years minus the age of the unit. So a 6 year old trailer could be financed for 14 years. They go by model year not build or service date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MCTalley

The conversation I overheard may have been discussing tow vehicles, which would make more sense.

Interestingly, I punched in the information on my BC in the NADA RV used value website and it came up with values higher than what I paid for it 16 months ago.

scottyb

I've recently learned that 1-1/2 years is not a good interval. The dealer's NADA guide is different than the one we see on the internet.

TXTiger

A lot depends on how much you have spent on upgrades. I replaced my TowMax with XPS Ribs. Maybe when its time to buy new tires again I may trade up instead? I had an aunt who always bought a new car when the tires were worn out and never bought new tires, lol lol lol ! If I break down and get the 6 point level up I will be keeping this rig for a long time.