ATF: Bighorn - Coax schematic for 2014 3160

SeattleLion

I've found and reviewed the posted schematic but it doesn't correspond to our new RV. There are two f-connectors in the bedroom closet. They aren't in the drawing online. There appear to be additional f-connectors near the living room tv. Is it possible to get an updated drawing?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Call Heartland customer service, seen on the left hand side of the main forum page. Have your vin # handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

SeattleLion,

Can you explain what you're trying to do and maybe post pictures that show the connections you have in the Living Room, Bedroom, and UDC.

SeattleLion

SeattleLion,

Can you explain what you're trying to do and maybe post pictures that show the connections you have in the Living Room, Bedroom, and UDC.

I received updated schematics which are helpful to a point. I am working on doing a satellite install. I know everything I need to know about that. There are two RG6 jacks in the bedroom closet (sorry no photos yet, at the service department right now getting prepped). These don't appear on any drawings as far as I can tell (including the 1/20/14). There is a RG6 jumper between them. I am trying to find out where they go. There is a little installation issue of satellite in the bedroom. The only place to put a receiver is on the dresser. This isn't very secure and I would hate to mar the finish by putting velcro on it. I am not sure where others have placed their receiver (photo attached of the location). I have a 3160 EL. Just bought it and apparently it is a brand new model.

If this is the biggest issue we face, I will be ecstatic.

2014f_bh_3160_el_35.jpg

danemayer

What you probably have is a single coax connector near where the TV mounts in the bedroom. The other end of that coax is in the closet. In the closet, there are probably 2 additional coax connectors; one for bedroom satellite and the other for antenna/cable. The antenna/cable connection will probably also have a signal booster push button/light. ON/Lit for antenna, OFF/unlit for cable.

The jumper is likely installed between the antenna/cable connector and the connector that goes to the TV. When you hook up to satellite, you move the jumper from the antenna/cable connector to the satellite connector.

The satellite receiver can go in the closet if you like. If so, it's helpful to have an RF option on the remote and receiver so line of sight isn't necessary.

SeattleLion

What you probably have is a single coax connector near where the TV mounts in the bedroom. The other end of that coax is in the closet. In the closet, there are probably 2 additional coax connectors; one for bedroom satellite and the other for antenna/cable. The antenna/cable connection will probably also have a signal booster push button/light. ON/Lit for antenna, OFF/unlit for cable.

The jumper is likely installed between the antenna/cable connector and the connector that goes to the TV. When you hook up to satellite, you move the jumper from the antenna/cable connector to the satellite connector.

The satellite receiver can go in the closet if you like. If so, it's helpful to have an RF option on the remote and receiver so line of sight isn't necessary.

Actually, that wasn't the question. All that is no problem. What's new is that there are two RG6 connectors in the bedroom closet, not near the bedroom TV. All the expected cable TV / antenna stuff is behind the bedroom TV as you describe. The Satellite cables are accounted for and, at least according to the latest schematic, are routed just the way they are in the 2013 drawing available on this site. From what we understand, the only wiring routed to the bedroom closet is the control cable for the Traveler on the roof. The RG6 from the roof to the UDS go, as you mentioned, to the two duplex RG6 plates in the UDS. In the 3160, the cable TV input is no longer on the back wall inside a duplex RG6 plate. It is now by itself on the right wall of the UDS. According to the drawing I have, the cable tv goes from the UDS to the bedroom. Then behind the bedroom TV, it goes to the switched amplifier. Coming out of that, it splits and one branch goes to the basement TV jack and the other goes to the livingroom.

The satellite feeds originate on the roof (2 cables). Both go to the UDS.

danemayer

Maybe it's just a pass through so you can locate the receiver in the closet. Pictures of all the locations may help clarify.

SeattleLion

That would be cool except the output of the receiver isn't coax; it's hdmi. I think a 15 ft run of hdmi would be a little long.

donr827

I have that jumper in the closet of my trailer. The dealer's mechanic that installed my rooftop sat dish explained the jumper to me but the old brain has not found that information yet. I do not have to move the jumper when moving from sat to cable. My receiver is in the closet and my HDMI cable, 12 foot I believe, gives me no problems.
Don

SeattleLion

I have that jumper in the closet of my trailer. The dealer's mechanic that installed my rooftop sat dish explained the jumper to me but the old brain has not found that information yet. I do not have to move the jumper when moving from sat to cable. My receiver is in the closet and my HDMI cable, 12 foot I believe, gives me no problems.
Don

That's really great news! I was sweating how to manage the receiver. I already have an infrared repeater so I don't need the receiver in sight. How did you route the HDMI from the closet to the wall where the TV is located? Thanks so much for the response. If you do remember what those RG6 connectors with the jumper are for in the closet, please let me know.

donr827

That's really great news! I was sweating how to manage the receiver. I already have an infrared repeater so I don't need the receiver in sight. How did you route the HDMI from the closet to the wall where the TV is located? Thanks so much for the response. If you do remember what those RG6 connectors with the jumper are for in the closet, please let me know.

I drilled a hole in the closet frame at the same height as the top of the window, your floor plan might be different, to where our TV sets on the wall. Held the HDMI cable in place with cable runners.
Don

GlenStMary

I put our sat receiver on the dresser and it has not moved 1/2 an inch in our travels. I bound the power cable with that small flex conduit and left only enough to reach up to the ceiling outlet. I also made up a short coax just long enough to go from the back of the receiver to the coax outlet on the ceiling as well. The receiver sits on a piece of that rubber shelf liner that you would use to line a toolbox shelf and along with the short cords doesn't allow much more than 1/2" or so of movement side to side or back & forth. That may work for you as well.

As far as the coax from the closet... one jack supplies the signal from the closet to the jack above the TV. The other is signal from down in the UDC and can be run through the TV antenna amp for OTA signal or with the amp turned off, cable from the campground cable outlet. What I did was to run the cable from the TV amp (the sat in) from a SWM splitter I mounted behind the wall in the storage bay to get the sat signal from the dish to the bedroom closet. When we want to watch sat TV I turn off the amp and install a jumper from the sat in on the amp to sat out up to the TV. I hope I explained this sufficiently.

GlenStMary

I purchased a power HDMI cable 40' long from Monoprice.com to get signal to my outside TV. You may need to look into one of these Redmere cables.

SeattleLion

I purchased a power HDMI cable 40' long from Monoprice.com to get signal to my outside TV. You may need to look into one of these Redmere cables.

That's amazing! I just checked on the cables. Perfect for those long runs. I figure I need no more than 15 feet to cross the camper and somehow route to the bedroom TV. I love the active cable idea.