ATF: MPG - Bulging roof repair

mcota

We recently had an ice storm that seems to have caused the roof to now sag slightly under the AC. The ceiling is also "sagging" inside. I'm concerned that, since this a seamless roof, it is not a typical repair. Where should I take it to have it repaired? Is this something my local RV dealer can handle or should I take to a Heartland dealer? Insurance adjusters are coming in few days to look at it.

I've attached a few photos.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 98
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 93
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 88

HornedToad

They sell patch kits to repair tears in the roof. To replace the roof is about $20 per sq ft and if it is sagging you probably have additional damage to the decking and interior ceiling. Your insurance adjuster should be able to recommend a local shop that can handle that type of repair, but ultimately were you choose to have the work done is up to you.

danemayer

If a falling branch damaged the roof such that the interior ceiling is sagging, that's probably a pretty major repair to the roof. Local dealers can probably handle, but you might want to ask the insurance adjuster for a recommendation for a large vehicle body shop that has experience with RV and motor coach roof repair.

Replacing the roof can be very expensive. The A/C units, fans, skylights, vents, and ladder all have to be removed. When the rubber roof material is removed, it tears up the luan underneath. The surface needs to be refinished and new luan and new rubber roof installed. There'll be a seam at front and rear caps because they probably won't remove the caps to put in the new roof. (At the factory, the roof is put on before the caps, so the material extends a couple of feet. The new seams will need particular attention as part of your regular maintenance to ensure you don't have leaks.

If the roof was pushed down, additional work may need to be done to the roof structure and ductwork may need to be examined to make sure it hasn't been deformed.

To me, it doesn't sound like a patch job.