Cyclone 3110

bkmoney81

I am new to this forum, and have questions on the Cyclone 3110. What are current owners using to tow this size toyhauler? Dually? Single rear wheels? I am trying to get the DW sold on the idea of trading in our current TT. Thanks in advance.

jimtoo

Hi Brian and Cynthia,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

You have found the right place to get some questions answered. We have folks that will give you their opinion and what they tow theirs units with. I, personally would recommend a dually of your desire. It will give you more load capacity and with the duals... more stability.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

DW_Gray

Looking a some potential pin weight numbers for the 3110, at best the pin weight could be about 3,100 pounds and at worst, it could be up to 3875 pounds. Most stock 3/4 ton pickups won't take that kind load for the potential range without modification of the rear load carrying springs or using an Automated Safety Hitch System. Some add aftermarket overload spring and or an air bag system. But since you may be in the market for a new truck too, a 1 ton may be a better option. As for a dully, that's up to you. My personal opinion is any trailer under 17K GVWR should be fine with SRW. But there will be many other opinions about that.

jeffdee

I have a 3110 I purchased last summer. I am using a 2010 F250 Super Duty Lariat SRW 2WD. The towing capacity for the truck is 16,000#. The RV has a gross weight rating of 16,000#. I have not weighed the rig loaded but I do not believe it is any where near full load weight. The truck pulls it well with no issues. However on the first two trips I did not like the "surging" I experienced at times. So I installed Firestone airbags. This eliminated any bounce or surging. I only need to air the bags to 25 psi. The truck now handles towing this RV even better. I have been only making hauls under 100 miles one way.

With all this said, I will tell you that when I replace my truck in a few years I will be getting a one ton, DRW 4WD. With this setup I will be getting a lower geared rear axle and better traction in non-pavement situations. Also I believe it will be more comfortable towing with DRW over longer distances.

I am in south Louisiana and we camp at a nearby resort. The Cyclone 4100 is very popular here. However, the locals like pulling them with F350 SRW 4WDs. I feel any Cyclones 18,000# and up should be pulled with a DRW. The Cyclone 3110 is easily pulled by a 3/4 ton SRW, but this vey close to the truck's maximum capacity.

Ladiver

We have the 3100 and seriously considered the 3110 (Same GVWR). We are towing with a GMC 3500 SRW. No problem at all. I would recommend a one ton rather than 3/4 if you are buying new anyway. Mine is also a daily driver, hence the SRW. If it were only for towing, I would have a DRW.

Hippy

I have a 2014 3110 HD Cyclone w/just about every option to include the 6 point leveling system.
I pull it with my 2010 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 crewcab shortbed w/Firestone airbags.
Started a 300 mile trip to Valley of Fire for a 5 day stay with My 800 pound Harley In the cargo space to include additional 200 pounds of mix items. 50 gallons fresh water and 35 gallons fuel.
Today we packed and drove another 260 miles to Lake Pleasant Arizona.
My Dodge truck pull the 3110 Cyclone with no problem up hills and decel very well with just about no breaking.
Lowest speeds climbing 50/55mph.
The only problem I have is the fuel tank (34gallons) is to small. Eventually I'm going to change it to a 56.

Hippy

I forgot to add, I agree with ladiver, I would go with a 1 ton even though my truck is doing well in my mine I feel max out. Time will tell if I upgrade.

DW_Gray

I forgot to add, I agree with ladiver, I would go with a 1 ton even though my truck is doing well in my mine I feel max out. Time will tell if I upgrade.

The only difference between your 2010 Ram 2500 and 2010 Ram 3500 (with the same gear ratio) is the axle assembly and springs. All the other components in the drivetrain are the same, therefore the power available to tow is the same. The only thing you may find different is the added towing stability of dual wheels.

bkmoney81

Thanks for the information. I am planning on keeping my TV, 2013 Ford F250, crew cab, powerstroke, single rear wheel. This is a daily driver. I am looking the Cyclone 3110. The way it sounds the single rear wheel f250 may be overloaded for the rear axle with the 3110. The power of the motor is not my concern, but the pin weight on my truck. What is better firestone airbags or timbrens? Thanks again for all the info.

porthole

Retired
Thanks for the information. I am planning on keeping my TV, 2013 Ford F250, crew cab, powerstroke, single rear wheel. This is a daily driver. I am looking the Cyclone 3110. The way it sounds the single rear wheel f250 may be overloaded for the rear axle with the 3110

We towed our 3010 (same size as the 3110) for 2 seasons with a GMC 2500 shortbed with no real issues. I put in Air Lift air bags, better shocks, stabilizer and a bigger fuel tank.

Worked "OK".

I now use a DRW.

The only difference between your 2010 Ram 2500 and 2010 Ram 3500 (with the same gear ratio) is the axle assembly and springs. All the other components in the drivetrain are the same,

So only GM and Ford at least offer bigger brakes when you go up?

Hippy

DW,
I have not had any issues with stability on this trip with mild winds of 15 to 20.
I feel comfortable ( 1 hand ) and not have to grip the steering wheel.

jeffdee

BK,

When I took delivery of the 3110, my 2010 F250 had no problems towing it home 70 miles. It did not feel overloaded. It did not squat the rear springs. The garage was empty and the fresh tank was 3/4 full thus making the fifth wheel hitch heavy. The air bags were later added to eliminate the rear spring bounce. The Firestone air bag kit was less than $400 and only took 3 hours for me to install. It greatly improved stability while towing. I have a crew cab, 6.5' bed, SRW, 3:55 rear ratio, non-locking, 2WD. I average 9.5 to 10.5 mpg while towing. I still have good acceleration while climbing bridges over the Mississippi River. This truck is my daily driver getting 15 mpg in town and 21 mpg on the highway.

However, when it comes to towing any of these big Cyclone toy haulers, I would be more comfortable doing so with a DRW. I would feel much better during a long distance tow. My next tow vehicle will be DRW, 4WD.

Your 2013 truck will do the job and you may be completely satisfied. Your towing capacities are slightly improved from my 2010. Your truck will not be overloaded. Your truck is rated for a 3383# slide in camper. The hitch weight of the 3110 will be much less than that. Probably between 2600# to 2850# fully loaded if you utilize your garage with some toys. I haul a golf cart - 1100#.