Both entry doors are cracked on inside...how to fix?

dougw

So my '10 3010 has a horizontal crack in each entry door. Both are in the white panel on the inside of each door. One looks like it started from the window cutout towards the outer edge. The other door runs from each side.

Has anyone else had this happen? Any idea if the inside panel can be replaced instead of the whole door?
Any idea who makes the doors or does heartland make there own?

thanks

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Doug, I dont think that HL makes the doors. Replacing the inside panel?? I dont if it can be done. The doors have a foam core in them and it may be glued to the inside and outside panels. Other than it looks bad....maybe it wont hurt anything.

dougw

image.jpg

Rear door

image.jpg

Front door

it does does look like the frame might come off and new inserts could be installed. However you might be right that the plastic is molded to foam.

RoadJunkie

I would probably cover the existing door panel with a thin sheet of similar material rather than try to unbond the cracked material. I would prepare the surface by trying to afix and smoothe the cracked sections so they don't buldge through. I don't think i have ever seen this type of issue with the doors. Hummmmm.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
You might contact HL and they can tell you the door supplier based on your VIN#. The supplier of the door might have a longer warranty than the coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Doug, thats weird. What else is strange is....our door inside panel is very thin aluminum. Our Horn is 6 years old now. SO....maybe the door manufacturer has gone to plastic. This issue could be caused by shutting the door very hard at times and causing the weight of window to flex the door skins in and out. A word of caution....when you remove the trim screws....make sure someone holds the outer trim and glass. I dont know how well the glass will bounce.

porthole

Retired
Doug, I looked at my doors (no cracks).

It looks like if you take the 4 screws out at the bottom, the aluminun channel that surrounds the door edge will come off.

The panel looks like the standard "sanitary" panels that are available at home depot. The Sanitary panels are made for kitchens and bathrooms, are about 1/16"-1/8" thick fiberglass or plastic. They come in 4x8 sheets. Take your measurements with you and you can get the panel cut to size.

When I had my windows out I do not recall the panel being laminated to the foam core.

porthole

Retired
I have. To rip to size I have used a circular saw and jig saw.
If it works for you the easiest is to have the help at home depot use their panel saw to get the length and width you need. Then use a jig saw for the window and radius corners.

Practice cut on the scraps first. If using a cicular saw, good side down and watch your speed.

happyappy

My entry door has several cracks in the inside panel that look just like that. I'm considering using a sheet of laminate like would be used on countertops to cover the door.

I'll be watching this thread for other ideas...

ICamel

If using a cicular saw, good side down and watch your speed.

I have cut lots of laminate and composite material with a circular saw or table saw. Reversing the saw blade so the teeth are facing backwards when cutting does a fantastic job.

Last edited:

dougw

Well I dug into my rear door today to see what to expect before trying this repair. I removed the lower frame by removing the 4 screws. Then I removed the door lock, and the outside door latch holder. To get the door frame off and the insert out I had to take a thin knife and go around the inside and outside edges. There is a thin bead of sealant on the frame.

The inside plastic is indeed glued to the foam insert. Fortunately for me I have access to a foam cutting hot wire so I should be able to get the plastic off the foam. I did think that I could take a piece of dental floss between a couple of pieces of wood and use it as a saw, but...just a thought....not sure it would work.

Here are a few picks. I put the door back together till I come up with the plastic sheet. T.b.c.

Sorry images are rotated.

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    535.4 KB · Views: 125
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    581.1 KB · Views: 108
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    474.3 KB · Views: 105

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Using the hot wire might damage the plastic sheathing. Try using a heavy weight monofilament fishing line with two wooden grips ( dowel rods) at each end. The method is used to remove mirrors that have been glued to walls.

dougw

Well 1 door is done. Came out pretty good. Wouldn't even notice if you didn't know.

I bought 2 sheets of the .09x4'x8' fpr white sheets. The sheets are maybe twice as thick as the original sheet which works good because after I cut of the old sheeting it takes up the gap of some of the missing foam. After removing the door insert the wife and use some 1/8" white string and used that as a saw to cut off the old sheeting. I screwed down a 2x4 on the workbench so when we sawed it off the door would press up against the board. Once that is removed the rest was pretty easy. I used a small battery powered circular saw to cut the new sheet down to a more workable size. Then we laid the old sheet on top of the new sheet and traced the outline. Then we used a dremal with a cutting bit like a router and cut around the outline and cut the lock and window out. We used a file to clean up the edges. The new panels are not brittle and cut easily without chipping. Then we glued the panel onto the foam with 3m77. Reinstalled the window then the door panel into the frame with some silicone sealant. Reinstalled the rest of the hardware.

It took about 4 hours with the 2 of us.

Dave49

I have 14 hairline cracks in my door between the window and outside edge of the door. They are very fine cracks and as straight across as can be. Almost looks like its intentional. Some are as close as an inch apart, in fact that's what most of them are. Hardly can notice them so not going to worry about them at this time but this thread will be kept here.

Dave