DIY Slide Topper Install

navyAZ1

Word of advice some of you may already know about this if you have read Jim Gratz article concerning installing slide toppers yourself. Jim stated that when ordering your slide toppers make sure the parts person also orders the "awning rail" if this is a new install. The "awning rail" is the strip that mounts on the exterior wall of the coach that the topper fabric slides into to hold it to the coach. This rail must be ordered in addition to the "hardware kit", and the particular slide topper you need, it is not included with the topper no matter what the parts person tries to tell you. I ordered mine from Heartland since they gave me the best price. I stated to the parts folks twice to be sure and order the "awning rail" like Jim told me to, each time I was told "don't worry it will all be there". Well it wasn't and now I'm delayed yet another week or so on the install while I wait for this part to be delivered. The good thing about this is Heartland Parts folks admitted their error and are shipping the necessary parts tomorrow, and they will pay for the additional shipping cost, which is a lot due to the length of the item it must be shipped by a OTR trucking company. Just wanted y'all to know what to order. Safe travels to All.

ptysonjr

We were just in Golden Co for a week with 45 to 80 mph winds. Everyone with toppers in the park lost em or they were torn. Not trying to discourage you just inform you to be mindfull of high winds with them. I doubt they slept much either with the wind flapping them non stop.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have been in 70-80 MPH winds three or four times in the SoCal desert. When it goes over about 70, I just pull my slides in and ride it out. You are right, it can be a bit unerving. However, in the long run I believe the positives outweigh the negatives and I would get the toppers again. Trace

Last edited:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
When the winds get high enough to rip off the slide toppers then you should pull your slides in MHO. At that windspeed you should pull in your slides even if you dont have toppers.