Buying new tow vehicle - advice

We are new owners of a Cyclone 4200 Toy Hauler currently on order. What are your recommendations for a truck to pull 20000 lbs. We don't want to listen to a truck dealership's spiel but would rather start with advice from Heartland owners. Please respond with make/model, engine, transmission, rear end, reliability, gas mileage towing, etc.. Thanks so much! So excited to get started and become part of the Heartland family.

Ralph and Tandy Fuller
Austin, Texas
RV Beginners!

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Although I'm very happy with my Ford, any of the big three 1 ton Dual Rear Wheel models should work for you. It really boils down to your personal preferences on looks, ride, etc.

Lou_and_Bette

Agree with Gus on personal preferences but for my 18000 pounder, my F450 doesn't work up a sweat, makes me feel secure on hills and in traffic, and rides sweeeeeet. Not the best on fuel mileage but better than m old 2008 F450. Lou

MTPockets

Although I'm very happy with my Ford, any of the big three 1 ton Dual Rear Wheel models should work for you. It really boils down to your personal preferences on looks, ride, etc.
This nail it ........... I personally appreciate the Ford dually fender which is smaller and allows me to better access the fifth wheel hitch handle. The Ford seems to sit lower at the tailgate when not loaded as well; but again, personal preference should prevail.

scottyb

We are new owners of a Cyclone 4200 Toy Hauler currently on order. What are your recommendations for a truck to pull 20000 lbs. We don't want to listen to a truck dealership's spiel but would rather start with advice from Heartland owners. Please respond with make/model, engine, transmission, rear end, reliability, gas mileage towing, etc.. Thanks so much! So excited to get started and become part of the Heartland family.

Ralph and Tandy Fuller
Austin, Texas
RV Beginners!

WOW Ralph! Welcome from another Austinite. Did the RV show put you over the top or had you already made your choice? I believe you may be the 1st 4200 on this site. As mentioned, I think you will do fine with any of the Big 3's duallys. The 4.30 gears would be nice for towing, but towing is only about 20% of my miles and that too much for every day driving. The 3.73's pull the 18K rigs no problem, even if they are a couple thou over and in the mountains.

RollingWhiteThunder

Dave & Shelly
For me it's big trailer, big truck. IMG_20140126_100143391_HDR.jpg Have 2000 F-350 Power Stroke, DWR and this tows so much better. Stable in the wind, and stops on a dime. If I did anything different I would go to a HDT, I would never go backward. Just my 2 cents worth.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Your TV will depend on its use. Will it be a daily driver or just a TV. A daily driver...then a MDT is out. If it will be strickly a TV...then MDT is the way to go. You can find them cheaper than new 350-3500 and will handle the 4200 CY great. At 20K any 350-3500 will be at its max.

scottyb

HL's site does not give the GVWR of the 4200, nor it's dry weight. It does show that it still comes standard with 3 x 6K axles. Just curious what it really weighs and how they derived at the 20K GVWR with 6K axles.

I logged 38K on my F350 in a year. No way would I do that in a MDT.

alex00

Ralph and Tandy Fuller
Austin, Texas
RV Beginners!

Congrats on the 4200. I'll just say get a Ford or Ram 350-3500 with the Diesel, best tranny option, and at least a 3.73 but preferably a 4.10 rear end. Ram has a super detailed towing guide, hidden on the website. A well equipped Ram 3500, crew cab, 4x4 with a 4.10 will tow a 28k trailer. (Yes, 28k for the trailer, with a 37K gross combined.)

The ford 350 or 450 will handle the 4200 just as well, if equipped with the diesel, DRW and the right axle. I think GM is trying to catch up for 2015, but I don't know their specs.

Welcome the the site, and please please please post pictures of your 4200. Most of us have only seen the photos Heartland has up on their website. When do you take delivery?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Standing in a 4200 at a show I heard a salesperson say a 3/4 ton would tow it, but if you are going into any hills or mountains a 1 ton was a better choice. Luckily, the woman he was talking to said, "I don't want to skimp on the truck. I'd rather be safe than sorry."

Don't believe a salesperson!!! 1 ton or more! And make sure it can carry the loaded pin weight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DW_Gray

HL's site does not give the GVWR of the 4200, nor it's dry weight. It does show that it still comes standard with 3 x 6K axles. Just curious what it really weighs and how they derived at the 20K GVWR with 6K axles.

My 4012 came with three Lippert 6K axles and it's rated for 20,400 pounds GVW. I have since upgraded to Lippert 7K axles because the 6K wouldn't hold up. So with a maximum on the 6K axles and approximately 3.6K on the pin, you could get 21,600 pound GVW. But the problem is, all the pin boxes out the door are rated a low 18K. That I believe is the weakest link. On the other hand, my Trail Air pin box doesn't know it's towing over 18K. If I recall correctly, before Lippert bought-out Trail Air, the pin boxes were rated for 21 or 22K.

alex00

My 4012 came with three Lippert 6K axles and it's rated for 20,400 pounds GVW. I have since upgraded to Lippert 7K axles because the 6K wouldn't hold up. So with a maximum on the 6K axles and approximately 3.6K on the pin, you could get 21,600 pound GVW. But the problem is, all the pin boxes out the door are rated a low 18K. That I believe is the weakest link. On the other hand, my Trail Air pin box doesn't know it's towing over 18K. If I recall correctly, before Lippert bought-out Trail Air, the pin boxes were rated for 21 or 22K.

I logged 38K on my F350 in a year. No way would I do that in a MDT.

I wonder if HL bumped the gvwr up to include the pin weight since so many of the DRW trucks now tow in the 22k+ range. I have to imagine that there is nothing significantly different about the cyclones that they only include the axle ratings to account for the gvwr. It seems like every other trailer adds axle and pin weight to get gvwr. It would be comforting to know that the triple axle cyclones were easily capable of a 20k gvwr but they chose to go to 18 for other reasons.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Alex00, the Ford and GM 3500 trucks were rated the same since 2011 except for the 450. It was not until 2014 that the Dodge trucks were rated higher than Ford and GM.

scottyb

Alex00, the Ford and GM 3500 trucks were rated the same since 2011 except for the 450. It was not until 2014 that the Dodge trucks were rated higher than Ford and GM.

Yep, they jumped from max tow rating of 21500 to 30K from 12 to 13. :confused:. Talk about pencil whipping the competition.

Miketnsa1

Personally I would wait for the 2015 F450 coming later this year. Ford is returning to the 10 lug 19.5 Commercial Rubber...Bigger Disc's in the rear than front at 15.35"! I have a 09' Ford F450 King Ranch and it is a Beast! For 08'-10' the F450 weight was 1400lbs heavier than the F350 and when your towing Big Loads a heavy TV is your friend...Don't know if the 2015 will weigh 1400 more though? Also love the massive Dana 110 4:30 rear end...this rear end is used on many Diesel Pushers! I'm about the turn 100k and my 19.5 tires can still pass inspection...Btw forget what the reviewers say about the hard ride empty the F450 was made to tow Big Loads and rides quite nicely with 4,000-5,000lbs sitting in the bed! ;-)

Bohemian

GVWR
GCVWR
Max conventional towing
Max 5th wheel towing
Max payload

For the specific truck you are buying. NOT the brand, NOT the model, NOT the general configuration. Those beautiful 20" wheels can take 1000 lbs off the max payload.

Buy big enough to have a nice comfortable reserve.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
When it comes to the best or right truck it depends on who you ask. My best advise is to look at the weight you want to tow, look at the weight rating of the tow vehicle and if the brand and type you want meets those requirements and is in your price range then go for it. Asking which brand, type and equipment is right is asking to get 1000 different answers all of which are right.

Miketnsa1

GVWR
GCVWR
Max conventional towing
Max 5th wheel towing
Max payload

For the specific truck you are buying. NOT the brand, NOT the model, NOT the general configuration. Those beautiful 20" wheels can take 1000 lbs off the max payload.

Buy big enough to have a nice comfortable reserve.

For the "Specific" truck I'm referring to (2015 F450) a 1000lb loss in payload means absolutely nothing as this rig can legally scale an astonishing 40,000lbs--Even "if" 19.5 Aluminum Wheels and Rubber added a 1000lbs (which is hard to believe)--The added confidence of rolling through Quartzite, AZ. in 115 degree temps on cooler running, less flexing commercial rubber with 105psi far out weigh the extra weight--Not to mention 19.5 rubber can add 3X the tire life...Your right its NOT about Brand (I prefer a cummins all day long) but he asked about a TV--And unless Dodge and Chevy have a secret weapon? When the 2015 F450 comes out in a few months it will be the MOST CAPABLE rig to tow a super heavy loaded Toyhauler--Can current Dodge and Chevy do the job also? You bet! I have no specific brand loyalty--When I hook up my Cyclone 4200 full of fluids and a Smart Car in the garage? I want the Highest Payload Period--Whoever builds it?

Dryer

Personally I would wait for the 2015 F450 coming later this year. Ford is returning to the 10 lug 19.5 Commercial Rubber...Bigger Disc's in the rear than front at 15.35"! I have a 09' Ford F450 King Ranch and it is a Beast! For 08'-10' the F450 weight was 1400lbs heavier than the F350 and when your towing Big Loads a heavy TV is your friend...Don't know if the 2015 will weigh 1400 more though? Also love the massive Dana 110 4:30 rear end...this rear end is used on many Diesel Pushers! I'm about the turn 100k and my 19.5 tires can still pass inspection...Btw forget what the reviewers say about the hard ride empty the F450 was made to tow Big Loads and rides quite nicely with 4,000-5,000lbs sitting in the bed! ;-)
What kind of fuel mileage do you get pulling your trailer?