Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Transmission fluid change DIY

1. Print this Post   #1

Transmission fluid change DIY

I got 36K miles on the truck and it's due for a trans oil change. Also I got the Mag-hytec standard dish trans pan. My question is should I take it to the dealer or just do it myself? The Mag-hytec has a threaded plug right in the bottom which makes for an easy change, but the dealer includes a band adjustment for the $125.00 oil change. It's not shifting funny or anything abnormal, just due for a change. Am I wasting $ taking it to the dealer?
    Rich & Barb and our pets/family-Bailey (Border Collie/Lab mix), Scotty and Samantha (cats)
    HOC# 1576
    2006 Dodge 3500 SRW, Firestone Ride Rite air bags, Pacbrake PRXB.
    2008 Bighorn 3100RL, 110 watt solar, 2000 watt Triplite inverter, Olympian catalytic heater, TST Tire Pressure and Temperature Monitoring System

2. Print this Post   #2

I have the same truck only a 2005 and the Mag-Hytec deep pan. I did mine myself. It is really pretty easy to do and you can re-use the trans pan gasket that came on the truck.

3. Print this Post   #3

I have been out of it for a while, but the "includes band adjustment" is an old term that as far a I know has not applied in 15 or 20 years. It is a sales tool to make you feel like your getting your money's worth. I don't think the band can be adjusted any more.
    Jim and Bette
    04 GMC CC Dually D/A, MaxBrake, Riderights
    09 Bighorn 3670RL #9E011439
    Disc Brakes
    HOC #1003
    Heartland Owners Club Information

4. Print this Post   #4
    Senior Member - Past Moderator Ray LeTourneau's Avatar

wazz_zup! If you have the drain plug, do it yer-self. Without the plug it can be a bit of a messy job but still easy enough to do but, I would use a new gasket just to be safe. The GM Allison has a plug and external filter and I do mine once a year.
    Ray & Lin
    R.I.P. Suzi
    R.I.P Bart

5. Print this Post   #5

The Dodge comes with re-useable gaskets on the transmission and differentials. I took the gasket off my stock pan and used it on the Mag-Hytec pan. My transmission temps dropped 8* to 10* with the addition of the Mag-Hytec pan and more fluid capacity. On an 06 if your truck is shifting okay there is no band adjustment needed.

6. Print this Post   #6

Good deal. I'll order the filter from Genos and get 'er done.
    Thanks amigos.
    Rich
    Rich & Barb and our pets/family-Bailey (Border Collie/Lab mix), Scotty and Samantha (cats)
    HOC# 1576
    2006 Dodge 3500 SRW, Firestone Ride Rite air bags, Pacbrake PRXB.
    2008 Bighorn 3100RL, 110 watt solar, 2000 watt Triplite inverter, Olympian catalytic heater, TST Tire Pressure and Temperature Monitoring System

7. Print this Post   #7

Have used the following method myself to flush out the old fluid. It works very well, is fairly easy, and gets about 95% of the old fluid out. Just draining and refilling your pan still leaves a couple of gallons of trans fluid in the torque convertor.
    http://mdt.volvospeed.com/repairs/al...tf_filter.html

8. Print this Post   #8

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter11 View Post
    I have the same truck only a 2005 and the Mag-Hytec deep pan. I did mine myself. It is really pretty easy to do and you can re-use the trans pan gasket that came on the truck.
    Hunter, did you install the Mag-Hytec yourself or have someone do it? I am considering this purchase for my truck, but haven't decided if it is worth it yet. How much ATF did you have to buy for the change?
    2015 Ram 3500 Dually
    2008 Cyclone 3795

9. Print this Post   #9

I have my transmission fluid and filter changed every year. I have them use Synthetic Oil because I pull my Bighorn. I put over 20,000 miles on my truck each year. I also have them change the oil in the transfer case and rear end with Synthetic Oil.

While I was reading as much as I could about my Ford F250 I found that it was recommended to use Synthetic Oil when pulling heavy loads.

This may be over kill but it keeps me comfortable about the condition of my transmission.
    FWIW
    BC
    Travel safe & may God bless
    Bob Curry & Trevor
    2016 F350 CC SRW LB 4WD
    Ruby Red 08 Bighorn 3400RE #9948
    Mor/Ryde 7k IS, 8k DB * 17.5 Rims w/G114 GY Tires
    Bigfoot Auto Leveling
    Escapee 96030 * Fulltime since 10-08-2007
    Club Member # 1081

10. Print this Post   #10

The first one is the hard one because you need to drop the pan full of fluid - messy. After that it's easy. IIRC I use almost 2 gallons of ATF per change - that's not all of it but since I change on an accelerated interval I figure the new mixes with the old and the average fluid age is good.
    Dave Lindemulder
    2001 Volvo 660 2004 Dodge 2500 CTD
    2009 Heartland Cyclone 3210

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast