Tow Chains broke free

EandJ

This past weekend coming home, our tow chains broke free from the frame right after we took off.

I have no idea how this happened, same length as always, hooks in same place on tow vehicle, front jack all the way up, hitch bars tightened the same as we have been using for the last year. Basically we went through all our steps that have worked fine for the last 3-4000 miles.

Anybody have any ideas? The chains appear to have been welded underneath the A-frame portion of the trailer, aft of the front jack. Do I just take this to a local welding shop and hope for the best - that the weld will hold better?

My 1-year HL warranty ended about a month ago, is this by chance covered under a separate warranty for the frame?

My main concern is figuring out what caused them to break free, and if they are fixed, will they be strong enough to do the job they are supposed to?

jbeletti

Eddie - I can't speak for Customer Service covering this post warranty, but give them a call today at 877-262-8032.

EandJ

Eddie - I can't speak for Customer Service covering this post warranty, but give them a call today at 877-262-8032.

Thanks, I will. I was wondering if the chains were techinically part of the frame, and maybe it was covered under a separate warranty for longer than one year. If not - thats OK too - but it never hurts to ask.

Phil Smith

Retired South Carolina Chapter Leader
I'm wondering if the chains might have had an extra twist or two making them shorter. That is how U-Haul frequently shortens safety chains if they are too long.

TomSt

Past New Jersey Chapter Leader
When I had a TT I used zip ties to take up slack that way on a sharp corner the tie broke not the chain

Mark-Mullin

I do believe it is illegal to twist chians to shorten them DOT regulations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD