Possibly trading our Big Country for Gateway

brlr2000

We have a 2009 BC 3300RL, and really like it, but saw a 2013 Gateway 3200RS for $**K. Does that seem like a good price? I realize the insulation in the roof is lower R-value. I've only seen photos. How much less cargo space in the basement? Also, I see that the Fresh Water Tank is quite a bit smaller. Does anyone know of any other major differences? We are fulltimers, so we are looking for a quality product.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Not trying to deter you but I would possible look at one before moving forward. Gateways are a great product but since it doesn't have a drop frame, storage in the basement is greatly reduced and tanks capacity are less. Since you are living fulltime, this might be a challenge.

GrumpyOneandTwo

We have a 2009 BC 3300RL, and really like it, but saw a 2013 Gateway 3200RS for $**K. Does that seem like a good price? I realize the insulation in the roof is lower R-value. I've only seen photos. How much less cargo space in the basement? Also, I see that the Fresh Water Tank is quite a bit smaller. Does anyone know of any other major differences? We are fulltimers, so we are looking for a quality product.

I have a Gateway 3200 RS. The basement storage is not bad but won't be as much as you have now. Inside there is plenty of storage, at least for us there is. The moveable island absolutely is a PITA! I definitely would not try to fulltime in my Gateway. Don't get me wrong, the Gateway is a beautiful RV. We love ours. But we rarely spend more that 5 or 6 nights in it at a time. We did 3 weeks at Fort Wilderness last November and was sure ready to get home.

Good luck on your next choice.

Mike

brlr2000

Not trying to deter you but I would possible look at one before moving forward. Gateways are a great product but since it doesn't have a drop frame, storage in the basement is greatly reduced and tanks capacity are less. Since you are living fulltime, this might be a challenge.

Hopefully, I will be able to see the one I found online. I can probably do OK with a little less fresh water tank capacity. The pictures look like the basement is maybe 6 inches shorter. For most boxes, that won't be an issue, but for outdoor chairs, tables, etc., it could be a little bit tight.

brlr2000

I have a Gateway 3200 RS. The basement storage is not bad but won't be as much as you have now. Inside there is plenty of storage, at least for us there is. The moveable island absolutely is a PITA! I definitely would not try to fulltime in my Gateway. Don't get me wrong, the Gateway is a beautiful RV. We love ours. But we rarely spend more that 5 or 6 nights in it at a time. We did 3 weeks at Fort Wilderness last November and was sure ready to get home.

Good luck on your next choice.

Mike

What don't you like about the island? Any other reason that it's difficult to camp for more that 5 or 6 nights...besides the fresh water capacity?

GrumpyOneandTwo

The moveable Island has to be secured each time you move. There is 4 locking casters and 4 tie down straps. The tie down straps hook to 4 cleats on the Island itself and 4 cleats in the floor and tightened by a draw tight buckle. The Island must be positioned just right to keep the slides from hitting it when brought in. There is a floor cleat in each slide out floor. You must unhook these before letting the slides out. Be sure to remember this. If you go see one be sure to ask them to demonstrate how to secure the Island.

Also we didn't realize we would miss not having a sofa to nap on!!! The 3200 has 5 recliners but no sofa or sofa bed. They do give you a inflatable mattress to lie on the floor, if you wish. But we are 65 y/o and that don't work well for us!!!!!!

I am not sure on this but I think I read in my paperwork somewhere that full timing in the Gateway will void the warranty. Check with the dealer on this.

Don't get me wrong. The Gateway is a really nice rv. It is the nicest unit we ever owned. I just don't think I would full time in it. BUT, it might work for you. Just check it out. Make a list of questions for the dealer. If you are satisfied it will work for you by all means buy it!!!

Mike

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
In the hiarchy of brands, Gateway is lower than Big Country. There are probably many features lacking, seen and unseen, that make it so. I am pretty sure the target market for a Gateway is not full-timers.

That said, if the features and floorplan work for you, go for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OhShoot

We went with the 2014 Gateway 3500RL , got it from camping world , we liked it because the island did not have to be moved or locked down , microwave is cheep but we are going to put a GE convection microwave in it anyway tv was cheep one so I took that one with the wall bracket and mounted in the bed room , bought a nice double arm swivel tv wall mount and a 42" samsung tv and put it in the livening room , added some extra shelf in some of the cabinets , we tested it out in the cold 10 degree weather for a week in our back yard with the electric fire place and one small electric heater and was nice and toasty at 70 degrees with out the propane heater ever used ,and yes the electric heater did cycle on and off the heat stayed in the rv great . the 3500rl comes with 2A/C units standard so I'm sure we will be nice and cool in the summer , only diff in basement on bighorn and gateway was 4" hight , no big deal to me , I don't want the extra weight of junk I didn't need anyway. Took the two dorky shelf of each side of the bed slide out went to the hardware store bought some stain and boards and refinished them to match the wood work and mounted in place of dorky shelf , now have more room around the bed , took the cheep foam mattress out put 2 4" memory foam toppers together both 4.2 pound density bought off eBay and unzipped the cover that was on the cheep mattress and installed the memory foam zipped it up and wala memory foam mattress for half the price. Adding a pur-flow water filter sys 2 stage , when it warms up , will also be adding the stacked washer and dryer in the bed room closet , we love ours the wife picked it out and is very happy . But we will be changeing out the blow max tires to Goodyear ones before we travel anywhere .hope this helps and good luck.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
OhShoot - wow, you'll did some great modification to your Gateway. If your schedule is open, bring it over to the TN Rally in May and show her off. All of us folks love to see modifications that others have done to their coaches. So with that said, go ahead and call to make your reservation and let us know when you register.