Idaho Falls Idaho to Bozeman Montana - Travel Route

DesertThumper

We are taking a road trip to Bozeman Montana for my brother in laws graduation. We plan to arrive there on May 1st of this year.
We plan to take US 20 from Idaho Falls to US 191 along side of west Yellowstone.
Anyone familiar with this route? If so, any suggestions to be aware such as over pass, hill grade, disperesed campsites, gas stations etc. We did pick up a book recommended by a few members here called "Next Exit". We plan to use it but wanted to check in with everyone here for real time highway experience.
Thanks in advance!

Al & Lisa

DesertThumper

I have not read the book yet. You might be right.

From our house, will be taking interstate 15 in Ca to utah. Maybe that book was purchased for the early half of the trip. I just took a quick glance at the book and your right.

wdk450

I drove that route with the Bighorn (as far as West Yellowstone at first) a couple of years ago when I went from California to Yellowstone and then on to the Gillette, Wyo. Heartland National Rally. It was Memorial Day Weekend (end of May) 2012, and there were snow squalls and 30 degree temperatures mid-afternoon leaving Idaho and going into West Yellowstone. There is a fair grade coming out of Rigby to St. Anthony on US 20. There are some places with gas and food along the way, but West Yellowstone is the major city in that area, with every service you could need. I traveled the 191 to Bozeman on another day during my stay without the trailer just to sightsee. It is a little winding as it follows a river canyon most of the way, but no big grades I can remember. The biggest question mark will be the weather and road conditions. These are mainly 2 lane highways. Winter hangs on a long time near Yellowstone.
With questionable weather, you may want to go an all Interstate route - I-15 to I-90

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Al, that is the fastest way to Bozeman. Bill is correct...."if you dont like the weather now...wait 10 minutes" (old Montana saying). Snow and blizzards can happen in May. 20 is a good road...but top off your fuel in Idaho Falls and Yellowstone, cause there is not any fuel until Big Sky on 191. There are places to pull off the road along the way. 20 is a very pretty drive, so take a camera. If the weather seems iffy......ask someone in Idaho Falls what roads are open. Last time I went...15, 90, 20 and 191 were closed but that was in November. BTW, cell service can be iffy some places on 20.

DesertThumper

<p>
Just got home from work. Thanks Bill & Bob for the feed backs. Your suggestions are very helpful and we appreciate it. What we will do is plan to stay driving on interstate 15 to 90. If the weather seems fair when we get closer to our departure date, we will re-evaluate. From Bozeman, were headed to my wifes parents ranch in central MT for 4 days then to Grizzly RV Park for 3 days. So if we dont end up taking Us 20 to Us 190 on the way up, then we will end up heading out from the ranch to Grizzly RV the scenic way. We will be doing a few days at Zion RV Resort as our last stop before heading home. I wish the dates were a little lined up with the rallys during our travel as I discussed with T and T. Next time.</p>

Manzan

Desert, one thing no one has mentioned is that just east of Butte, you go over the Continental Divide. A steep climb for an interstate but doable. There is another pass on I-15 on the Idaho-Montana that is 500' higher at 6800'+. At those elevations you can encounter snow almost any time of year. I-90 is well maintained since it is the major truck route across the northern states. We go across on 90 at least one a year.

DesertThumper

Good to know.... my wife mention about the divide but not as detailed as you explained. You mention the climb is doable. I guess chains should be purchased and brought with us. Would I have to buy tire chains for all tires? That is 12 tires....

All input would be great.

Manzan

Hope someone answers this Desert. I have wondered about that myself. I would think a single pair on your outside dualies would be fine but not sure about the trailer. One set? The semis have chains on their trailers by law here.

Bob&Patty

Al, going the 15 to the 90, you will cross the divide 4-5 times. Chains...well maybe. They try to keep the roads open and clear...but.The big issue is going down the east side of the Rockies from the the 15. Its steep, curvy and can be windy. The same way with the Bozeman pass and it does have gates that close if it snows too much. I would take extra fuel for your geset, extra food, water and blankets. The 15 to 90 is about 200 miles farther (4-5 hours) than the 20 to the 191. This is all assuming you are taking your TH with you. May can be a very iffy month in the northern states as far as weather goes. Just be prepared, cause I have seen snow (blizzard) in July. We just returned from ND. A week ago Tuesday in Aberdeen SD it snowed (blizzard) enough in 3 hours to cover our SUV from tires to roof. It looked like a giant marshmello setting in the driveway. The only thing sticking out was the mirrors. Not trying to scare ya.....but stuff can happen and fast up north.

brianharrison

I travel the I-15 quite a bit back and forth between CA and Alberta. Chains for PASSENGER VEHICLES (not tractor trucks) are required to be carried in states that have this in their motor vehicle laws. Montana and Idaho are not mandatory chain carrying states for passenger vehicles, like ours trucks and towing trailers. You will not get stopped and fined in these states in my experience for NOT having chains (cables) during winter months in a passenger vehicle.

Now common sense says don't travel during inclement weather, especially mountain passes.

When I have travelled Oregon, Washington - I carry cable chains (x-pattern similar to this) for the front axle of my trailer, most requirements state cable/chains are required for one set of braking axles on the trailer. I do not carry cables/chains for my truck; - I argue the tires are on the 4x4 truck are traction tires and do not require chains. This can be dicey in the states where it is explicit that winter traction tires need the snowflake in the triangle symbol.

Hope this helps.
Brian

EDIT: Found this link for summary of state chain laws...

DesertThumper

This is great info and we appreciate your feed backs! It looks like I wont worry to much about chains but we will keep a close eye on the weather one to two weeks before heading out in case we need to cancel all the reservations we made for the camp grounds.

I notice that some of you mention the up and down grades on the interstate. I assume all heavy tow are going slow anyways. I should be ok with that but the curvy parts of the interstate is something I am concern. Pulling our RW400 through there would be an issue? Thanks again for your suggestions...

Bob&Patty

Al. Brian is correct about the curves on the 15. Its the downgrade on 90 when you get into Montana. Also the curve on 90 through the Bozeman pass. The road tilts the wrong way in the east bound curve...so you have watch your speed and a high wind can be a little scary. Dont ask how I know, but it took both lanes to save it. If the wind is too high they will close the 90. This is the reason we will normally take 20 to the 191. I know all this because we have property in MT. and my daughter lives in Bozeman and we travel there alot. OH, BTW, they are working on the road in the Virgin Gorge now and it is down to one lane both ways. North bound is a pretty good climb and south bound is curvy and steep also...so watch your speed going down. Aint trying to scare you.....just advise you.

DesertThumper

Al. Brian is correct about the curves on the 15. Its the downgrade on 90 when you get into Montana. Also the curve on 90 through the Bozeman pass. The road tilts the wrong way in the east bound curve...so you have watch your speed and a high wind can be a little scary. Dont ask how I know, but it took both lanes to save it. If the wind is too high they will close the 90. This is the reason we will normally take 20 to the 191. I know all this because we have property in MT. and my daughter lives in Bozeman and we travel there alot. OH, BTW, they are working on the road in the Virgin Gorge now and it is down to one lane both ways. North bound is a pretty good climb and south bound is curvy and steep also...so watch your speed going down. Aint trying to scare you.....just advise you.
Sounds good bob. Great heads up. Now if the 20 & 190 weather condition permits at the time we hit the road, would that be a better way to take when it comes to grades and wind? Just a question.

Bob&Patty

Al, the 20 to 191 would be the best and shortest way weather permitting. I talked to my daughter yesterday. Not much snow in West Yellowstone (the town) but good snow in mountains. She went snow mobileing yesterday. Bozeman should get rain and snow today. If you want, PM me with your PH# and I can call my daughter and get the scoop before you leave about the weather and road conditions.