Question for you full timers out there

evolvingpowercat

I just took early retirement and am considering full timing. Was thinking of establishing residency in Wyoming or South Dakota to avoid paying state income tax on my retirement income. I know a lot of full timers do that. Have anyone of you that have done that upgraded their vehicle or travel trailer as a South Dakota or Wyoming resident? What did it cost as a South Dakota resident?

Sales Tax?

Personal Property Tax?

Fees?

Any experience would be appreciated.

scottyb

Randy, there are a lot of Non-resident Texans too. I can't speak for the other states, but in Texas you only pay tax on the difference between your trade-in and your new purchase.

B

BouseBill

Randy, The boss lady and I have been full timing for a while now and have always used a relatives address...up till now. We are in the process of joining with Americas Mailbox in Box Elder SD. Just got tired of all the hassles of not having our own address for insurance purposes and vehicle registration.
Contact one of the mail forwarding services in Wyoming or South Dakota, they are more than willing to work with you ($$) but, really not that bad fee wise. Check out their web page and you will have a lot of your questions answered. NOT pushing Americans Mailbox just using them as an example. Good luck on your retirement, and have fun.

Bill

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We have done it several times in SD...you pay 3% excise/sales tax on a vehicle, and only on the difference between trade in and purchase price. Tags cost us just over $300 a year on the fiver (2013), truck and car (both 2011).

There is no personal property tax in SD...the above are our only expenses in SD other than renewing license every five years...AND one of the lowest states for car insurance rates.

evolvingpowercat

Thanks so much! My employer, Sprint, did a small job cut and I volunteered and I was selected. As a result get to early retire a year sooner than I had originally planned. Very excited. We get a great separation package, very fair. I was with Sprint for 18 years.

Now just have to figure out what to upgrade to. Am looking at getting a used 24 to 26 foot motor coach.

We use Alternative Resources in Sioux Falls. Very friendly and helpful. We decided to go there after we compared registration fees from the state we lived. We went full time, sold our house and signed a statememt that we would live in South Dakota when we decide to give up full timing.

simsfmly

Ohio Chapter Leaders-retired
Randy,

We upgraded to our BigHorn in Ohio as an SD resident.

Paid the 8.25% Ohio Sales tax, then got rebated minus the 3% owed to South Dakota. No personal property taxes included. No fees for any of the transactions.

Hope that helps.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Randy,

We upgraded to our BigHorn in Ohio as an SD resident.

Paid the 8.25% Ohio Sales tax, then got rebated minus the 3% owed to South Dakota. No personal property taxes included. No fees for any of the transactions.

Hope that helps.

We have upgraded three times through SD...each time we registered directly with SD, never in the state of purchase...once was Maine, once was Ohio and the last in Texas. Our mail forwarding service in Emery, My Home Address, always handled the paperwork without any issues...

azbigfoot

Great question by Randy. For the Texans out there what does vehicle registration typically run for a 2013 pickup and a 2013 fifth wheel? I'm curious because my wife and I (early retirement too on April 1st) are looking to change our domicile to Texas.

danemayer

My annual TX registration renewals are $68.50 for the Truck (GMC 3500) and $123.50 for the Landmark.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Our fees are $87 for the truck and the trailer is $102 for the trailer. Each county has different fees and charges.

Kiltedpig

I was told to establish SD residency 6 months prior to purchasing a 5er and truck. Coming from CA this makes a lot of sense. Am I on the right path?

Niles

A friend of ours changed from SD to TX because of health insurance. And I know nothing about this just repeating what I was told. But he said that the health ins in SD would not cover him as a full timer. He had the mail service like you all are talking about so I am wondering what he did wrong or did he?

rnewk52

You do not want to register your vehicles in Wyo. We save $500.00 per year on the 2008 Chev, and almost $1000.00 per year on the 2012 Bighorn. We use Americas Mailbox in Box Elder S.D. and have had zero problems when updating any of the vehicles. Go to their web site and most if not all your questions will be answered. If you need to talk to a person you won't find any one more friendly or helpful. We did not establish our address prior to registering our vehicles. We did it all at the same time we joined Americas Mailbox.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
In Kaufman Co, TX $67.50 for 2004 3500, $122.50 for 2010 ElkRidge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
Be VERY careful about using a relatives address!!!!!!! It can cost you dearly in the end. There are many court cases about this and they DO NOT end up good for you!

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Be VERY careful about using a relatives address!!!!!!! It can cost you dearly in the end. There are many court cases about this and they DO NOT end up good for you!

Please explain and back up with cases if possible. Just curious.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk