ATF: Cyclone - No Auto leveling - big mistake?

BLHFUN

Pull up, disconnect truck, turn system on, hit level up button.... Walk away! We've had it both ways and will never own another unit without the auto level system.

Shugh

We first bought a cyclone 4000 last year that only had hydro legs on the front with scissor jacks on the back. With really crappy luck each time we had to setup was in a down pour. We decided to upgrade our rig this year to add more features our 4000 didnt have and one of the options was the levelling system. Well being down in Florida where it rains more than its sunny during the summer Im so glad we did upgrade. It took less than a min to have the rig level and setup.

We started with a base model 4000 now have fully loaded 4000.

danemayer

We first bought a cyclone 4000 last year that only had hydro legs on the front with scissor jacks on the back. With really crappy luck each time we had to setup was in a down pour. We decided to upgrade our rig this year to add more features our 4000 didnt have and one of the options was the levelling system. Well being down in Florida where it rains more than its sunny during the summer Im so glad we did upgrade. It took less than a min to have the rig level and setup.

We started with a base model 4000 now have fully loaded 4000.

Hi Shugh,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and thanks for joining in the discussion.

gregattaway

Nice feature but the "return to where you started" does not work on ours (2015 hd rig) ... I get and error code ... but then again the place where I bought (boerne tx) it did not check out the rig before dumping it on us ... 9 hr walk though and we knew nothing more than when we started ... but then again we only spent $67K ...

Last edited:

remoandiris

It costs around $3K. I have it on this coach, didn't have it on the last one. It is nice, but not necessary. The vast majority of sites I have stayed on have been close enough to level. The few times I had to use 2x12s under the tires on one side of my last coach can be counted on one hand.

I do not think I will spend $3K for it next time. Plus, it is one more system that can break.

Freckles

Founding New York Chapter Leader-Retired
We ordered level up on our Bighorn by my wives request !! Due to the bed position side to side many times the Rv would settle to our head board side after getting setup !! No issue now just push the button and everyone is happy !!

Freckles

Founding New York Chapter Leader-Retired
Good catch Duane !!! Beth is my one and only!! QUOTE=porthole;378312]Just how many do you have?[/QUOTE]

scottyb

After 2 years, I finally ran into a situation where I could have used it. The place was about 3" off level side to side and it was hot and humid. I was sweating bullets in the 15 min it took me to get it leveled.

One question I have is, what do you do if you are stopping for the night and do not want to unhook? Can you still level up the trailer while connected to the truck? Also, does it have a return to "hitch level" function?

jbeletti

...One question I have is, what do you do if you are stopping for the night and do not want to unhook? Can you still level up the trailer while connected to the truck?...

With Level Up, you should NOT hit the Auto Level button while still connected to the truck. Doing so could really mess up the RV. What I do is go into manual mode, drop the front jacks, then the 4 rear jacks. Then I put enough pressure on them to stabilize. Personally, I'm okay with extending the rear jacks a bit if the rear of the coach is low.

I am NOT comfortable extending the front jacks much more than just to stabilize. Here's the reason... If I need to extend the front jacks while still hitched, in order to raise the front of the coach, I am, in effect:
1. Pulling my hitch apart
2. Putting a huge downward force on the upper deck of the coach*

* In my opinion, some owners may have caused their own upper deck frame welds to weaken or fracture by repeatedly trying to level while being hitched by running those front jacks to such an extended position to really put a LOT of stress on the front of the coach. I have even heard of someone lifting the truck rear wheels off the ground. In that case, I think they did it once, just not thinking it through and not knowing the dynamics involved and just hit Auto Level. Oops.

Just my opinion.

Seren

One question I have is, what do you do if you are stopping for the night and do not want to unhook? Can you still level up the trailer while connected to the truck? Also, does it have a return to "hitch level" function?

With the B&W Companion hitch and auto leveling, it takes me all of like 3 minutes to unhitch and level. Then maybe 3-4 minutes to retract and hitch. Unless it is pouring rain, and just stopping for a night we always unhitch, except for a rare time we treat ourselves to the pleasures of dry camping at Walmart.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
With Level Up, you should NOT hit the Auto Level button while still connected to the truck. Doing so could really mess up the RV. What I do is go into manual mode, drop the front jacks, then the 4 rear jacks. Then I put enough pressure on them to stabilize. Personally, I'm okay with extending the rear jacks a bit if the rear of the coach is low.

I am NOT comfortable extending the front jacks much more than just to stabilize. Here's the reason... If I need to extend the front jacks while still hitched, in order to raise the front of the coach, I am, in effect:
1. Pulling my hitch apart
2. Putting a huge downward force on the upper deck of the coach*

* In my opinion, some owners may have caused their own upper deck frame welds to weaken or fracture by repeatedly trying to level while being hitched by running those front jacks to such an extended position to really put a LOT of stress on the front of the coach. I have even heard of someone lifting the truck rear wheels off the ground. In that case, I think they did it once, just not thinking it through and not knowing the dynamics involved and just hit Auto Level. Oops.

Just my opinion.

I agree with this process as it is what I do dry camping hooked up. My front jacks go down until kingpin lifts off saddle like I was unhitching and that leaves no pressure on truck in either direction.

porthole

Retired
Jim - you lost me.

For the most part, while hitched up, hitting auto level typically will not work.

The process begins by retracting the landing gear, lowering the coach well below level to get a baseline.
If the gear is completely retracted at the start, an error message usually pops up.
If the gear is down already to stabilize, it will not lower the trailer when looking for the baseline.

That said, I don't see how it can mess up the trailer.

As far as "your" hitch goes, max upward travel is limited by a, IIRC, 4" bolt and large welded washer. It is on the right side of the large fore/aft pivot bolt (that should only ever have a special EP grease or it is doomed to fail).

I could see where trying to lift the truck could be a cause for concern. But, hopefully no one actually tries that.

LevelUp works great for changing trailer tires, but not for the trucks rear tires.

porthole

Retired
Scott, my procedure is to lower the landing gear. How much depends on the site elevation.
Between my trucks air suspension and the hitch I have a lot if room to play with.

But, I typically will try and fore/aft level, raising the trailer as needed but not so much as to start lifting the truck. That means using whatever play is in the hitch.
I have found side to side level is more of a comfort thing then fore/aft is.

When in manual mode you can watch the display. Using either the left or right side rear jacks the display will indicate the level offset and change dynamically as you operate the jacks.

Something to keep in mind. If you have the fronts extended to take out all of the hitch play is to be aware of any front jack relative position changes with the rear jack extension.

jbeletti

Duane,

If one extends their front landing gear while hitched, then hits Auto Level and if the trailer was quite a bit nose-low, once the system lowers the rear levelers, it's quite conceivable that the front landing gear will attempt to auto extend to correct the nose-low attitude that it will try to lift the truck (in essence). I say this is bad. Taking some pressure off the hitch as one may do when unhitching is one thing. Lifting the truck using the hitch - again, I say bad.

Last edited:

porthole

Retired
Ok, I see what you mean you now.
Manual operation when hitched up should be considered S.O.P.

Duane
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD