Shopping for Tow Vehicle for Bighorn 3610RE - Help ! SRW vs DRW

8amps

I have read through heaps of posts on this topic, but just wanting confirmation that I am coming to the right conclusions.
We purchased a 2010 Bighorn 3610RE. We don't have a tow vehicle yet (everything said to buy the trailer first and then get the truck to tow it). So... now have the trailer, and shopping for a tow vehicle. Since we can't weigh it, we have to go by brochure weights and what has been reported here for actual weights.

We are looking at used diesels, and each one varies on payload capacity and GCWR.

I was thinking a 350/3500 (1 ton) would be sufficient, but I'm seeing that the payload in the Ford & Dodge are too low. (Haven't checked Chevy's yet) However, we're concerned about maneuverability of a dually since this will be our run around vehicle too. GVWR of trailer is 16,000 and pin weight (unloaded) is 2200. What that will be loaded, I'm guessing (emphasizing guessing) at least 3,000.

Husband and I are going to be full-timing with our 80# yellow Lab, starting within the next 90 days.

I read posts on here where this trailer is towed by 3/4 ton up to MDT. Would appreciate thoughts on 350/3500 SRW vs DRW. Thanks.

MTPockets

DRW.... We started with SRW and after all was done with full loading for full time we were 600 lbs over on the payload max. I wish I had done better research before I made the mistake. We now have DRW as our only vehicle and have no regrets. I would guess most stay with SRW, simply judging by what I see in campgrounds, but most are over their rating. I couldn't live with that. Do it right.

danemayer

Hi 8amps,

We have a 2011 Rushmore which has a floor plan and weight similar to the 3610RE. We're heavy in front with the on-board generator and washer/dryer, along with a basement full of heavy stuff. At last summer's weigh-in, we were carrying quite a bit of stuff in the truck as well as the trailer and that put us about 200 lbs over on payload for our 2011 GMC 3500 SRW 4x4 CC Longbed. Normally we're right around the payload spec. The towing capacity is a bit higher than the trailer weight. The truck handles well. Never had a problem with crosswinds and we go up and down the rocky mountains without problems.

That said, most people who have driven both SRW and DRW prefer towing with the DRW.

Birchwood

You probably don't want to get stressed each time you load something into your RV.As you stated the pin weight loaded will be around 3000lbs.You don't want to exceed the GVWR of your tow vehicle.My dually has a GVWR of 11400 lbs and I am probably only 500 lbs below this value.My Landmark has a GVWR of 16550 lbs so I have to watch my loading.We use the dually as a run around in FL with no problems, other than my wife won't drive it, but many women do.

whp4262

I have read through heaps of posts on this topic, but just wanting confirmation that I am coming to the right conclusions.
We purchased a 2010 Bighorn 3610RE. We don't have a tow vehicle yet (everything said to buy the trailer first and then get the truck to tow it). So... now have the trailer, and shopping for a tow vehicle. Since we can't weigh it, we have to go by brochure weights and what has been reported here for actual weights.

We are looking at used diesels, and each one varies on payload capacity and GCWR.

I was thinking a 350/3500 (1 ton) would be sufficient, but I'm seeing that the payload in the Ford & Dodge are too low. (Haven't checked Chevy's yet) However, we're concerned about maneuverability of a dually since this will be our run around vehicle too. GVWR of trailer is 16,000 and pin weight (unloaded) is 2200. What that will be loaded, I'm guessing (emphasizing guessing) at least 3,000.

Husband and I are going to be full-timing with our 80# yellow Lab, starting within the next 90 days.

I read posts on here where this trailer is towed by 3/4 ton up to MDT. Would appreciate thoughts on 350/3500 SRW vs DRW. Thanks.

I'm not a Ford guy and have no desire to own one so one of the other guys will have to provide information on Ford trucks. Most of the older 1-ton Dodges and chevys had pretty good payload capibility but lacked in towing limits. The transmission was the weak link for these trucks, not enough gears and the transmissions were torque limited pretty bad. The Cummins engine is in my opinion one of the best options out there for light truck diesels. The early chevy trucks had injector problems and the injectors were located under the valve covers so when they went bad they would leak diesel into the engine, not good for the bottom end. The engine was redisigned later on and the injectors were located in pockets in the valve cover so if they leak diesel won't delute the engine oil. In 2011 chevy increseased the output of their diesel backed up with a six speed allison transmission and exhaust brake. They also redisgned the frame of the truck to handle the payload and much needed towing capibility. Dodge followed suite in 2013 redisigning their frame, increasing the output of the cummins and offering a Aisin six speed transmission that is comparible to the Allison. So my recommendation would be a 2013 or newer Dodge or a 2011 or newer Chevy/GMC should take care of your needs. DRW vs SRW depends a little on your own preferrance but my choice is DRW. I have carried and towed heavy loads with both and I prefer the DRW because it will usually carry more weight, it eliminates the tire sidewall roll you can get with a SRW and if you blow a rear tire the remaining tire will usually carry the weight long enough to get out of traffic and stopped. My daily driver is a DRW, once you get used to the size it's not that bad to maneuver.

alex00

Go for the DRW. All things being equal on the truck (cab, bed length, wheelbase) the DRW version won't be any less maneuverable. The times I have had any difficulty was because of my length. The width of the rear fenders rarely ever comes into play. When it comes to parking, since the wide fenders are in the back, it doesn't make a difference. You can still get in and out, and so can the cars next to you. The major drawback to a DRW is the extra two tires you need to buy every few years. But, to spend a few extra hundred on tires every so often, to me, is a small price to pay for having the right truck.

I'm on my second DRW in ten years, and would never go back. In ten years of ownership I have never had a moment where I wished I had a SRW because of a maneuverability standpoint. Plus I'm a huge fan of the dually wheels. I think DRW trucks look pretty sharp.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Any of the big 3 trucks from 2011....350-3500's (Dodge 2013) and up will do the trick. Any of these trucks will at a premium in price used, so shop carefully. These trucks also have the DEF systems (thanks to the tree huggers).You do not need a MDT. I went from a SRW to a DRW and would never go back. If you go with SRW/DRW long bed....you do not need a slider hitch. Well you dont really need one with a short bed (6' +).

I do how ever disagree with WHP4262 on 2 points. The Allison trans has never had any issues and in 2006 GM started installing the 6 speed Allisons in there HD trucks.

The injector issue was only with the engine VIN #1 and GM stepped up and added a 10 yr-200K warranty to those owners. They stopped using that engine design in mid 2004....10 years ago.

As a side note, it has been said that Allison helped Ford and Dodge redesign there respective tramsmissions.

whp4262

Any of the big 3 trucks from 2011....350-3500's (Dodge 2013) and up will do the trick. Any of these trucks will at a premium in price used, so shop carefully. These trucks also have the DEF systems (thanks to the tree huggers).You do not need a MDT. I went from a SRW to a DRW and would never go back. If you go with SRW/DRW long bed....you do not need a slider hitch. Well you dont really need one with a short bed (6' +).

I do how ever disagree with WHP4262 on 2 points. The Allison trans has never had any issues and in 2006 GM started installing the 6 speed Allisons in there HD trucks.

The injector issue was only with the engine VIN #1 and GM stepped up and added a 10 yr-200K warranty to those owners. They stopped using that engine design in mid 2004....10 years ago.

As a side note, it has been said that Allison helped Ford and Dodge redesign there respective tramsmissions.

Bob, I thought the Allison went back further then 2006? But I agree on the dependability, I haven't heard much negative on the transmission. I was just in Wolf Pen Gap ATVing a couple weeks ago and the guy next to me had recently bought an older, 2003 I think, duramax dually. Real nice looking low mileage truck for it's age but he had injector problems after he bought it and had to replace them at his own expense because it was beyond the 10 year mark so thought I would mention the problem in the post.

emm4273610re

We've had our Ram dually now for over ten years and just ordered another. I like to stability towing our 3610re. I also use it for everyday use driving to work and whatever. The only thing is if you're one who has to park up front of every store it may not be for you. You get to park away from others which also reduces parking lot door dings. My wife loves driving our Ram, won't pull into the garage but drives it no with no issues. You can't go wrong with any of the Big 3. Just remember towing is the first part of the puzzle, you need to stop and maneuver safely.

8amps

Thanks for all the input! So DRW it is. :) Now is 4x4 a necessity?

Found a used 2007 GMC 3500 DRW with 50k miles, original owner. Going to see it tomorrow hopefully. Drove a 2012 Dodge 3500 DRW with 47K miles but it is quite a bit more. Used to tow horsetrailers.

Appreciate all the responses and thoughtful answers.

8AMPS

donr827

Not a chevy man but check around and see if the 2007 engines and trannys had any problems like the 6.0 ford diesels had.
Don

Kbvols

I had a 2001 Chevy HD with dura max LB7 it had the Allison transmission. I had 100,000 miles on it no injector issues.

emm4273610re

Found a used 2007 GMC 3500 DRW with 50k miles, original owner. Going to see it tomorrow hopefully. Drove a 2012 Dodge 3500 DRW with 47K miles but it is quite a bit more. Used to tow horsetrailers.

8AMPS
Up here in New England I use the 4 wheel drive mainly in the winter. Dually's are lousy in the snow anyhow but the 4x4 helps me. Can't speak for everyone. I have used it a few times in campgrounds that had muddy roads/sites. If you don't go with the 4x4 I'm sure if you have an issue there will be someone around to help. (I would ). :)

Birchwood

8AMPS
If you go with a four wheel drive be sure the front wheels have independent suspension(like GM uses) or your ride will be poor.If you will be in snow go with the 4 by 4 .I use a 2 wheel drive for the Landmark but we live in FL during the winter.Have never required 4 wheel drive at a campground.

whp4262

8AMPS

If you live in town, drive mostly freeways and paved roads and stay at improved campgrounds 4WD is probably not a necessity. I wouldn't own a truck without 4WD because I have a need for it. I live in the country, my driveway is 1/2 mile long and dirt. Pulling the Cyclone up the driveway after a hard rain in 2WD tears up my road up so I use 4WD. I also drive on slick roads and pull other trailers occasionally and stay at camp grounds that can be a little muddy. My dually empty with the heavy diesel up front can get stuck on it's own shadow so the 4WD is worth the investment for me.

danemayer

We stayed in a campground in Montana a few years ago. We had reserved a space in their upper section but on arrival, the only spot they had was in the lower section where the ground was soft due to recent rains. On departure, we barely got out in 4 wheel drive. Would not have been able to get out without it.

alex00

8AMPS
To me, 4x4 is just like any other safety feature on the rig. Are seatbelts and airbags necessary? Only if you crash. I would much rather have the security of 4x4 for the two or three times I've "needed" it. It also comes in handy for taking trips to the snow. Don't forget about resale value too. Most people want 4x4 (compare 4x4 to 2x4 trucks sitting on a lot) so the resale would likely be better. If it won't break your bank, I say get it.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
AMP, the 2007 is a great truck. I had one and it was a pulling fool but was a 4WD 2500 SRW. We averaged 10-11 MPG pulling. Our new truck, 1tn DRW is alot more stable in turns and crosswinds. If you going to be driving in hilly country, you might look into having a Banks exhaust brake installed. You don't need a tuner installed. BTW, don't skimp on oil, fuel, and air filters....use the OEM/GM ones.

WHP, you are correct. GM started using the Allison in 2001 behind the Duramax. The Allison transmissions have been around alot longer than that. The trans used in the HD pickup truck is a downsized version of the ones used in cement trucks.

8amps

Hi all, just a quick pop in, what a day! But bottom line we are proud owners of 2007 GMC SIERRA 3500 classic 4x4 dually
More details to follow!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Hi all, just a quick pop in, what a day! But bottom line we are proud owners of 2007 GMC SIERRA 3500 classic 4x4 dually
More details to follow!

Congrats! We need pictures next. Btw we love our 2004.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk