Portable Generator to run 15K BTU air conditioner

SailorDon

I have a 2014 Wilderness 2175 RB with 15K BTU air conditioner.

I have run my travel trailer with full A/C, microwave, refrigerator, etc. with an 8K emergency generator I use for power outages.
No problem. Just plugged in the shore power cord to the 20 amp socket on the gen set.

The 8K gen set is big, heavy and noisy.
I'm looking for small quiet gasoline engine generator that I can put in the back of my pickup truck for "dry" camping with no hookups.
The air conditioner is the big reason for120VAC, but the microwave would be nice also.

Any recommendations for a small, quiet "camping" generator?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Don, I use a Boily 3600. Works very well. Quiet and not extremely heavy at about 65#. Our BH has the 15K a/c.
Not trying to dis the Honda or Yamaha gennys either but if you want to save a few bucks...

SailorDon

I got confused about my A/C rating. It is actually a 13.5K Coleman Mach I. This gives me the option of a lower power generator.

I have read posts on this and other websites about using a Yamaha EF2400iSC for a 13.5K A/C unit. Apparently this will run for a while, and then they have to replace the $900 controller board when it burns out.
For an additional $200, there is the Yamaha EF2800i, but it is in an open frame design which is likely to be noisy. It would probably work and at 68 pounds, light enough for me to lift into the bed of my pickup truck.
For another $200, I could move up to the EF3000iSEB, which would run my A/C unit. The problem is that it's dry weight is 136 pounds. That means I need a hoist or a ramp to get it loaded into my pickup truck. I guess the extra weight is due to the electric start (which I don't need).

I don't want to go the solution of using 2 X 2000 watt generators because of the problems associated with maintaining 2 units.

bigdob24

I have 2 Honda 2000s and it takes both to start the 15K . I can sometimes run just one for battery charge and microwave.
they are a bit pricy but worth it in the long run

pegmikef

I have 2 Honda 2000s and it takes both to start the 15K . I can sometimes run just one for battery charge and microwave.
they are a bit pricy but worth it in the long run

I too use the Honda 2000s and often only have to run one of them. In the cooler months I only carry one (if any) of them. They weigh 55 pounds. Maintenance is minimal and easy. I do, however, keep a log and try to keep the hours fairly matched so I can do the the maintenance tasks to them at the same time. They ran the 15k A/C in my North Trail just fine, but I am having a little trouble getting them to run the 15K A/C in my BH. Now that it is warmer, I will try to resolve the issue.

SailorDon

"Dually" 2000 W generators seems to be common in the RV camping group.
I see only one benefit and that is each unit weighs 50 pounds, which most people can handle without ramps, hoists, dollies, forklifts, etc.
The cons are several.
$400 more for the "dually" 2000's with special connector wires.
Twice the maintenance (oil changes, spark plugs, filters, etc.)
Twice as much filling up the gas tank.
Double the noise (If one unit makes 53 to 59 dB, how much noise do two units make?)
Occupies more space, more hold-downs required.

The Yamaha EF3000iSEB weighs 136 pounds. It comes with electric start. If I can get it down to 100 pounds by removing the battery and electric starter, gearbox, etc. and just use the manual pull start, I might have something that will work for me. And the noise level will be less than the "dually" 2000's. (The EF3000 is rated at 53-60 dB.)

Update on Yamaha info.
The EF3000iSEB weighs 154 pounds.
Yamaha makes the EF3000iS without electric starter and battery and it weighs 136 pounds.

It looks like I'm stuck with a bare minimum of 136 pounds.

Last edited:

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
The two Hondas to me are no louder than the single but that is just me. Also I have a single fuel can with two outlets that the gens draw from so only one place to add fuel if I am running extended like when I am tailgating when they run from noon Friday to about 9 am Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

d_fergie

I run the Buffalo tools Sportsman LP generator, weighs 100 lbs, I carry a 40lb bottle to run it when camping ...

SailorDon

I run the Buffalo tools Sportsman LP generator, weighs 100 lbs, I carry a 40lb bottle to run it when camping ...
68 dB is noisy compared to comparable Yamaha and Honda at 59 dB. That is approximately twice as loud.
The generator will be located in the bed of my pickup truck with no access to propane.
Not a good choice for my intended use.

SailorDon

The two Hondas to me are no louder than the single but that is just me.
To me, two identical annoying sound sources are twice as loud as one annoying sound source. To put it in numbers, the 59 dB rating of the 2000 Honda when (the sound pressure level) is doubled is approximately 69 dB.
That's getting right up there with the 74 dB sound level of my 200 pound North Star 8000 watt emergency generator. And that is very noisy. I only use it in power outages.
But that is just me.

Last edited:

Bogie

I use a Boily 3600 also. It runs my 15K BTU AC with no problem at all. It's very quiet and I can lift it myself (read "old guy" here).
I began looking at others, but chose the Boily over Honda and Yamaha save $$ and still have a high power rating. Also,I had just purchased the 5er and the wallet was still a little thin.
I put 22 hours on it last summer and had no problems.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
I run the 2 / honda 2000's and very happy, but Champion has a 3100 inverter generator that sells for about $900.
Saw a demo for it at an RV show, not a bad unit.
Should fit the bill, check it out.

I need to check prices of generators to busk with one of me guitars,the local Halfords store will have hopefully a car battery will do just as well.

Sent from my Lumia using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum Flippedcanvas. Lots of good people and information here.
Are you using Swipe or Voice Recognition with Tapatalk on your phone?
Do you have a Heartland product there in the UK?

Peace
Dave

Well touchscreen keyboard on lumia & swype ova LG Prada,ta again buddy I'd not be in here if it wasn't for ye.
P.S. Another great forum on tapatalk too its:
www.altcountrytab.ca/forum
P.S. I'm not into cars as such cos don't drive but from time to time I'd love camping.

Sent from my Lumia using Tapatalk

jassson007

To me, two identical annoying sound sources are twice as loud as one annoying sound source. To put it in numbers, the 59 dB rating of the 2000 Honda when doubled is approximately 69 dB.
That's getting right up there with the 74 dB sound level of my 200 pound North Star 8000 watt emergency generator. And that is very noisy. I only use it in power outages.
But that is just me.

Like I said it is what I do. I can stand over mine and have a conversation at normal levels when both have run up to power the ac. I can't do anything like that standing 10 feet from a lawnmower generator like yours and I cringe when I see them in our tailgate area. I am not sure how you are getting that the db rating doubles when the two are running but oh well. Hope you find something that works for you.

SailorDon

I am not sure how you are getting that the db rating doubles when the two are running but oh well.
When you say the "dB rating doubles" (which I never said), what do you mean?
The sound pressure level doubles (twice as loud) when you have two sound sources instead of one.
A rule of thumb approximation for twice the sound pressure is to add 10 dB.

jassson007

To me, two identical annoying sound sources are twice as loud as one annoying sound source. To put it in numbers, the 59 dB rating of the 2000 Honda when doubled is approximately 69 dB.

Right here