Cyclone 4200 - thoughts on rear patio

Swaydaa

Has anyone thought of not adding the expense of all the rear patio features (awning, season door, etc.) and just using the side patio. The big gripe I hear from some 4100 owners is that when you have the couches in the garage with table set up it's a pain in the butt to pass through to the patio. Has anyone thought about shutting down the back patio and just using side patio and using the extra money on other features? thoughts?

jeffdee

Re: Cyclone 4200 orders

We do not set up the benches in the garage so there is never an issue getting to the patio. The benches are nice to have on a rainy day if the patio is not used but the bench (bunk) has a queen mattress on it all the time for the couple that camps with us so we don't make it into a bench. The table tops are strapped to the top bunk which is rarely lowered and always pinned.

alex00

I was thinking of getting a folding table that could easily be moved out of the way to get to the rear patio. If I had the option of two patios on mine I would probably only go with the side one. I'm not sure I will use the patio enough to justify the expense of two. The only advantage I can see to a rear patio over the side patio is for narrow spots, or spots where you can back the trailer over water or some kind of drop off. If you can justify the expense it might be nice to have two patios so you can use one if the other is blocked.

jeffdee

The patio is perfect for when you do have a steep drop off over looking a great view. However, you have to remember to unload your "toys" on level ground to avoid over-compressing the hinge springs. I have used my patio many times. It has been an enjoyable option for us along with the tv mounted in the garage.

scottyb

I use mine all the time. If I had two, I would probably use both of them as often as possible. I wheel my Weber gas grill out of the garage and onto the patio and do me some grillin. I also like to cook bacon and eggs on the side burner in the AM. Can't imagine not having the patio or the grill.

Attachments

• IMG_2380.jpg
    IMG_2380.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 126

porthole

Retired

just my opinion, I think the rear patio usability has a lot to do where you live and camp. Here in the northeast, which is where we camp mostly, the rear patio would be a waste of money. There just are not enough campgrounds that offer the room or the view. We have my version of the rear patio and I think I used it twice, although I can only remember using it one time. And without a rear awning, the sun beating down on the black ramp can make it very hot.

alex00

If you venture away from the campsite, do you fold up the patio and lock the ramp door? Or, do you lock the slider into the living room, and hope no one pilfers the garage while you are gone? I can see that being one advantage to the side patio on the 4200. I have the three season wall, but the travel lock would only keep someone without the ability to tear paper out of the garage.

scottyb

I lock the sliding door and the side garage door. The only time I have closed the patio is when severe weather was coming, in MO last year.

remoandiris

I use mine all the time. If I had two, I would probably use both of them as often as possible.

+1. Biggest problem would be finding CGs with room enough for both. There are times when I can't find a CG in the area I want with sites long enough for the rear patio.

scottyb

campsitephotos.com can be very helpful as well as Google Earth for site selection. I was able to use these on my Big Bend - Lajitas - Ft Davis trip last year and was able to use the patio everywhere we stayed. I try to find sites along the perimeter of a park that do not have obstructions like trees or fences at the end. Ravines, lakes, and rivers are perfect. We just have to unload the Mule before backing over a slope.

ILH

We use our patio all the time - love it. I think it would be more difficult to find sites wide enough, rather than long enough. Just my opinion.

We use our patio all the time - love it. I think it would be more difficult to find sites wide enough, rather than long enough. Just my opinion.
if your side awning goes out....you have plenty of room for the side patio..love it!

SteveC

Hello All,
My wife and I had a 2014 Big Country 3596RE and loved it, but now we want to travel more and I have a motorcycle, so we decided to go for the 2015 4200. We pick it on Monday and have our first trip planned for end of September to Estes Park, CO. We do plan on bringing the scoot and utilizing both patios, if possible. We are planning to remove the upper bunk in the garage, as all of our rigs only sleep two, plus our three mutts. I have seen concerns with the patio's warping so will see how that plays out. Keep rolling.

porthole

Retired
This past week we again had the opportunity to have a "room with a view". Backed up to the Juniata River in central Pennsylvania.
I put the rear "patio" out, stood on it for 10 minutes and figured, nope, not an option we would use. Too far from the fire and kind of like being up on a pedestal.
We don't have a rear awning, and the patio would be something I would not even consider without an awning option.

But, this is why it is good to have choices.

Attachments

• photo 1 copy.JPG
    photo 1 copy.JPG
    464.1 KB · Views: 74
  • photo 2 copy.JPG
    photo 2 copy.JPG
    449.5 KB · Views: 86
  • photo 3 copy.JPG
    photo 3 copy.JPG
    510.7 KB · Views: 72

BLHFUN

Hello All,
My wife and I had a 2014 Big Country 3596RE and loved it, but now we want to travel more and I have a motorcycle, so we decided to go for the 2015 4200. We pick it on Monday and have our first trip planned for end of September to Estes Park, CO. We do plan on bringing the scoot and utilizing both patios, if possible. We are planning to remove the upper bunk in the garage, as all of our rigs only sleep two, plus our three mutts. I have seen concerns with the patio's warping so will see how that plays out. Keep rolling.

Awesome news Steve! We have the same unit and will be in Estes mid September. Can't wait! We use both patios all the time. Backed up to the river is kinda cool Have fun!