Char broil - The Big Easy

szewczyk_john

Just wondering if anyone on this forum cooks with The Big Easy from Charbroil? If so what have you cooked in it and how have they turned out? For those that do not know, The Big Easy is a device that runs on propane and is called an infra-red cooking device. It is sold as an oiless turkey fryer. I have been frying turkeys for over 20 years ands this thing is awesome. It gets the same results without the mess of the oil fryer and cleans up so much easier and faster. I will have it at the National Rally in June for a turkey dinner.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
And you're only a couple of sites down from us. What time is dinner? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottyb

Just wondering if anyone on this forum cooks with The Big Easy from Charbroil? If so what have you cooked in it and how have they turned out? For those that do not know, The Big Easy is a device that runs on propane and is called an infra-red cooking device. It is sold as an oiless turkey fryer. I have been frying turkeys for over 20 years ands this thing is awesome. It gets the same results without the mess of the oil fryer and cleans up so much easier and faster. I will have it at the National Rally in June for a turkey dinner.

I have one and have used it for turkey, cornish hens, and pork ribs, so far. The ribs probably need to be wrapped in foil after searing so they cook more slowly. I think it does almost as good as deep frying a turkey and has the advantage of using dry rubs and possibly stuffing a bird. No more wasting of 4 gal oil, and cleanup is a breaze. Takes equal or less time from start to finish. It will be traveling in the Cyclone this year.

A friend of mine uses his to cook a pork butt. After searing, he wraps it in foil and adds onions and chiles. It falls apart when he opens the foil. I'm going to perfect this before race season.

szewczyk_john

So far I have done 4 turkeys, 3 chickens, chicken drumsticks, chicken wings, & 2 hams in mine. I plan on doing experiments with it this spring to see how versatile I can make it. I have seen others post about meat loafs, breads, prime ribs and pork butts. this thing makes the best potatoes I have ever make. I think that it will be used a lot for camping.

Miller0758

Has anyone done a spiral ham and if so, did it remain juicy and how was it placed in the basket? Any other info would be appreciated. Turkey's and roasts have always turned out perfect provided I didn't stuff too large of a bird in the basket ... Needs to be less than 16lbs.

szewczyk_john

I have not made a pre sliced ham but I have tasted some. not as juicy and the end seemed to dry for me. It was still tasty but but I would rather have a whole ham. I have gotten away with a 19 bird with no issues. I have thought about buying the SRG model which allows a bigger bird but they are considerably larger than the big easy.

Miller0758

I have not made a pre sliced ham but I have tasted some. not as juicy and the end seemed to dry for me. It was still tasty but but I would rather have a whole ham. I have gotten away with a 19 bird with no issues. I have thought about buying the SRG model which allows a bigger bird but they are considerably larger than the big easy.

Thank you John ... I'll try the whole ham.

GWRam

So far I have done 4 turkeys, 3 chickens, chicken drumsticks, chicken wings, & 2 hams in mine. I plan on doing experiments with it this spring to see how versatile I can make it. I have seen others post about meat loafs, breads, prime ribs and pork butts. this thing makes the best potatoes I have ever make. I think that it will be used a lot for camping.

We have used ours so far only for turkeys and butts. You mentioned chicken wings. What kind of rack are you laying the wings on and where did you get it? Big easy wings would be great.

szewczyk_john

Car-broil's web site. They sell a shelf that fits into the basket, I have two of these. They have a half shelf that allows you to hang drumsticks vertically. I believe they come in a pair. You will not believe how good the drumsticks are in the big easy. potatoes are the best when made this way also. check out char broil forums for recipes and ideas but be careful a lot of those recipes are for the SRG which is different than the big easy.

Rockin_Dollar_B

New Mexico Chapter Leaders-retired
I am thinking about purchasing The Big Easy and wonder if the Smoker, Roaster, Grill will be too big for storing in the belly of our whale. I also wonder about the clean up of this grill? I like that I can use it for grilling as well as roasting as the other one only seems to be for roasting and smoking. Both look like the clean up would be the same. I would love to hear from those that use either one of these units about the cooking, cleaning and ease of storage. Thanks so much--Shelley :D

szewczyk_john

I have the big easy and we love it. you can cook a lot of different things in it and they all come out great. Clean up is a breeze. You can basically clean the vessel, the basket and any accessories with just a wiping of wet rag. The drippings tray needs dumped and then washed out. We still travel with our sons so it is really nice to be able to make a whole ham, turkey, 2 chickens(at the same time), or roasts for a dinner and then have t he left overs for another meal or lunch the next day.

I have had the best corn on the cob and baked potatoes made using TBE.
For us, we keep the unit in the garage of our toy hauler, but I think I could get it to fit into the belly of my unit. We have always carried an extra 15 lb propane bottle for grilling so I did not look at that as another extra thing to bring TBE has 3 inch legs that can be removed if that helps. The smoker is bigger and not sure if it will fit standing up.

I know of other users that have made breads and pizza in their unit. There is a small learning curve to using it but once you figure it out, you'll be using it more and more. These units are very efficient and the propane last longer using TBE then when I used my old turkey fryer unit.

the only negative thing that I will say about this type of cooking (infra red for those that do not know) is that use the device until the internal temperature reaches a certain point. This can very widely based on the outside temperature and wind. It is difficult to have food done at a certain time due to this.

Any other questions, just ask.

Rodbuster

A lot of good reviews....how about cooking good old fashion hot dogs and hamburgs? Wouldn't really want to take 2 grills on a trip.

Maybe I missed it, and this question has already been addressed. If so, please disregard.

Dick

szewczyk_john

I have never made hotdogs but I have done corn dogs and they come out super crispy. I have made burgers in it on shelves and just thought that were ok nothing special. Then I wrapped bacon around the patties and placed them into a special basket that stands them on edge and they were great.

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
First I do not own a Big Easy but based on the reviews it is a great way to cook a turkey, roast or large piece of meat. Personally if you want to take in up a notch there are some smaller / portable wood pellet smokers. They cost more and are bigger and heavier the the Big Easy but they cook like a convection oven but you also get the additional flavor of smoke. Traeger, RecTec and Green Mountain all have portable smokers.

szewczyk_john

I do not care for smoked meats, just not my cup of tea. I know of other users that do use the SRG and smoke with it. you can do the same with TBE by a simple modification to the bottom of the unit but I have never done it, just saying that it can be done. I have seen TBE for under $90.00 at home depot and lowes.