Adding Plexi-Glass to Screen Door

Has anyone added plexi-glass to the entrance screen door to be able to keep it open in weather when you use a/c or the furnace?

jnbhobe

Has anyone added plexi-glass to the entrance screen door to be able to keep it open in weather when you use a/c or the furnace?

A lot of us have added plexiglass and there are different ways of doing it. Ours are held in place with velcro spots.

Birchwood

We installed Lexan and used L clips to hold it in place.Its ok but would like to have the option of using screen on some days.Would like to purchase a screen /storm door as I don't like the clips,velcro or glue.Anyone know where I can purchase a fully working storm/screen door?

Majestic

We had them in our last unit and were looking for a replacement, didn't buy, sold first but they said they had them. Need measurements when you call.

Snow

We took ours to our local glass shop ,took it off for them they installed 1/8 " plexy on it !it fit in the groove already in the door looks like factory !all you have to do to take it out is bow it a little and pops right out !the only negative is that it Adds a little weight but it works great and looks great we leave the door open all the time ⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We have put Lexan in the screen door on our last 4 campers over the years. We just go to Lowes with the measurements of the top and bottom screen sections. They will cut a square piece for you which works great on the bottom section, just pop it in the grooves inside the side of the door. The top piece you will have to use a craftman knife to score the arc of the top piece. Have needle nose pliers to help carefully pop the scored piece off. Then carefully pop it into the grooves on the top. We put a couple of small screws at the bottom of each piece to hold it in place. We are getting ready to do it again with our new Key Largo.

Gizzy

We took ours to our local glass shop ,took it off for them they installed 1/8 " plexy on it !it fit in the groove already in the door looks like factory !all you have to do to take it out is bow it a little and pops right out !the only negative is that it Adds a little weight but it works great and looks great we leave the door open all the time ⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️

Did the same thing except we had them install Lexan. I simply removed the screen door, delivered it to a local glass shop and picked it up the next day. They only charged $10 or $15 to do it for me. Was worth the few extra dollars not to worry about me making a mistake and perhaps cracking, cutting wrong or just screw it up some other way. No stress.

jbeletti

I've added this many times. Used plexi most times and Lexan once. On this coach, I recently added smoked plexi.

Click here for details and pics.

Dave49

I've done it with plexiglass and once I put it into place I use screen spline to hold it snug so it don't rattle. Leave it a little long at one end and you can grab it, pull spline out and remove plexiglass when wanted. Use the roller you use on the spline to push the same spline right back in. Works good.

Dave

jbeletti

I've done it with plexiglass and once I put it into place I use screen spline to hold it snug so it don't rattle. Leave it a little long at one end and you can grab it, pull spline out and remove plexiglass when wanted. Use the roller you use on the spline to push the same spline right back in. Works good.

Dave

Great idea Dave! I'll be adding a spline tool to my shopping list. I kept the old spline - so I'll reuse that.

ParkIt

That is a great idea Dave, I've got extra spline and can get plexliglass cut to fit at a local hardware store. Wasn't sure the best way to set it up, yours is an optimal way to do it.

ILH

I finally added plexi to the forward door on my RW. I had been really hesitant to take on the job - but it went really easily. My biggest suggestion to others is to buy the special plastic scoring tool for plexi glass - it makes cutting much easier and safer from errant cracks.

The top rounded corners were a challenge - but if you take your time and score the plastic deeply, and add radial score lines outward from the cut lines, you'll be safe.

Anyway, the first trip of the season is in two weeks... So we'll see how we like it.