what tools to take with you

Capt7383

We will be picking up our new Big Country 3070 in about ten days. I want to assemble a tool kit to have in the coach at all times,(Murphy was an optimist). What do you guys suggest? I don't even know if this unit will be metric or sae. Will it have allen screws or torex, philips or square drive. If it was a standard house I wouldn't even ask but this is our first rv and I'm not sure what is needed tool wise.
Thanks in advance

porthole

Retired
Almost every screw in your trailer will be a square drive. Some may look like a torx, but those are 8 point and a square drive will work.
There will be some Phillips and underneath you will find 5/16" self tapping hex head screws

Tools I like to have available;
Electric screw driver and bits. The Milwaukee 12 volt line is my tool of choice for that.
At least a 1/4" and 5/16" nut driver for the above driver.

The rest of these can all be the inexpensive variety form Home Depot - Lowes etc.
Cheap digital VOM - volt ohm meter
12 volt test light
Spare fuses
Screwdriver with replaceable bits.
Bag of 12" wire ties
Wire cutters, vise grips, adjustable wrench
2 pound maul

Non contact voltage tester, see this thread for some very good info.
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...Hot-Skin?highlight=non+contact+voltage+tester

Tools to take your wheels off if needed on the road.
That is a good start. Those that are handy tend to carry more.

Wiring repair kits, water plumbing repair kits etc

And Jon is spot on with his trailer, and since you are in Ohio - he'll have the resources you don't in a pinch.

stevenssr

We will be picking up our new Big Country 3070 in about ten days. I want to assemble a tool kit to have in the coach at all times,(Murphy was an optimist). What do you guys suggest? I don't even know if this unit will be metric or sae. Will it have allen screws or torex, philips or square drive. If it was a standard house I wouldn't even ask but this is our first rv and I'm not sure what is needed tool wise.
Thanks in advance

Congratulations on your new 3070 from a fellow 3070 owner! In addition to what everyone else mentioned, I carry a fuse kit bought at Atwoods (lots of extras) and a battery charger. If the unit is brand new, some bath and tile caulk will come in handy for the shower door track. Feel free to PM me if you need help with anything on your unit.

Scott

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Apart from having one of everything, a good compressor will come in handy.
Some carry a 120 volt and others a 12 volt.

Peace
Dave

iawoody2

I carry portable jumper cable/compressor. You simply keep it charged up and is completely portable. Use it to add air if needed just carry it to the tire as needed. It has a 140psi capacity.

scottyb

Air compressor. Cordless drill and impact. 4-way lug wrench, 20T hyd jack, to name a few. This is on top of my usual truck toolbox full of wrenches and socket sets that goes everywhere with me, every day. I also carry an assortment of basic pvc fittings and pieces of pipe 1/2" - 1", along with glue and primer. I've had to repair broken water lines before so that I could have water.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Add to the list a bottle of Super Glue, roll of Gorilla tape and some Rescue tape. A couple of 6" Irwin Quick Clamps and a caulking gun, too. Silicone spray and WD-40 are good to have on hand, as well.

Bobemuzzy

This is not a tool but I suggest carrying a complete wheel set of bearings ( front and back ), races, rear bearing seal, cotter pin and bearing grease for on the road repairs.

scottyb

This is not a tool but I suggest carrying a complete wheel set of bearings ( front and back ), races, rear bearing seal, cotter pin and bearing grease for on the road repairs.

Good idea. Even if you will not be the one making the repair, having the correct parts would be a bonus.

Capt7383

Thanks much for the replies, I wouldn't have thought of some of them. Who knows maybe nothing will ever break

AAdams

Congrats on the new rig. Since it is new all of your water lines will be PEX ( red and blue water lines) so a ratcheting crimping tool and crimp rings. Also a couple 1/2" plugs for PEX pipe. If you can't fix it on the spot you will be ale to plug the line and still use water everywhere else in the unit.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Almost forgot the most important "tool." Your credit card (or stash 'o cash). There will always be something you need but don't have and will quickly learn where the nearest parts store is.

caissiel

I have carried 2 spare springs for the past 15 years. Used often on previous SOB but so far never during the 5 years with the BC.
When new a center pin sheared off. Springs were not installed properly at factory.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk