locked out of the livingroom door!

chiefneon

Howdy!

First day on the road in our week old Cyclone 4000 and when we stop for the evening we're locked out. The livingroom entry door deadbolt we could not place the key in to unlock. The key slot was in a horizonal possession and key would not work. Thank goodness we have two doors and or a TH ramp. Once inside I still could not get the deadbolt to work. I had to disassemble the lock. After some working on it I now can use the deadbolt inside the TH but the key part does not work. We are forced to use the upper lock which everyone has a key to. We stopped into Camping World yesterday to get a replacement lock. They stated they do not stock them it is a Heartland part, and might find one at a Heartland dealer. "I bought it at Camping World, I thought they were a Heartland dealer"! Anyway I need a new lock. Anyone else had this problem? I was considering upgrading to a keyless entry lock, any recommendion on that one? Such is the life of a fullime RV'er, could be worse like spring cleaning and yard work in the old sticks and bricks.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

jbeletti

I believe Fastec had a recent recall on some RV entrance door handles/locksets. Give Heartland Customer Service a call Monday morning to see if your unit falls under the recall and regardless, if they can ship you a replacement handle out under warranty. 877-262-8032.

pegmikef

Since you are under warranty I would email or call Heartland directly. I had the exact same problem after I first bought my BH and Heartland sent me a whole new lock assembly and it sounds like you wouldn't have any problem changing them out. They sent me a label to send the old one back. I think Fastec just sends you the cylinder to change out and some folks have had trouble with that. The new lock they sent me worked perfectly until I changed it out a few weeks ago for keyless entry. Make sure you have your VIN when you call or email them.

donr827

Several years ago I locked the door and pulled the key out without bringing the key back to the neutral position, straight up and down. I could not get the key to go back in. Called a locksmith who came out and used tools to realign the tumblers. Worked perfectly after that. I have heard from someone at a cg that they used a hammer and gently tapped the key until the key reseated the tumblers.
Don

alex00

Howdy!

First day on the road in our week old Cyclone 4000 and when we stop for the evening we're locked out. The livingroom entry door deadbolt we could not place the key in to unlock. The key slot was in a horizonal possession and key would not work. Thank goodness we have two doors and or a TH ramp. Once inside I still could not get the deadbolt to work. I had to disassemble the lock. After some working on it I now can use the deadbolt inside the TH but the key part does not work. We are forced to use the upper lock which everyone has a key to. We stopped into Camping World yesterday to get a replacement lock. They stated they do not stock them it is a Heartland part, and might find one at a Heartland dealer. "I bought it at Camping World, I thought they were a Heartland dealer"! Anyway I need a new lock. Anyone else had this problem? I was considering upgrading to a keyless entry lock, any recommendion on that one? Such is the life of a fullime RV'er, could be worse like spring cleaning and yard work in the old sticks and bricks.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

Chief,

My 4000 with the fastec lock is doing the same thing. It lets me remove the key in the horizontal position. This is one of the symptoms of the fastec lock recall, if I remember correctly. If you call fastec they should ship you one, as long as you can wait for the shipping. I would assume Heartland doesn't have the updated locks or they would have put them on our units. I wouldn't get one from them, because it might still have the issue. I'd go straight to the lock company for their recall.

800-837-2505

sbuckman

Took this from the Fastec Company page where they have the recall letter:

NHTSA Recall # 13E0392

If your key is stamped with one of the following key codes,
you have an affected lock: HF-304, HF-307, HF-308,HF-309, HF-311, HF-313, HF-315, HF-316, HF-320, HF-322, HF-323, HF-328, HF-331, HF-335, HF-336,HF-339, HF-342, HF-343, HF-347, and HF-349.If you no longer have the original keys, the cylinder key code can be found on a white label attached to the main body of the lock.

Simply remove the four interior mounting screws and remove the interior paddle handle and plate assembly to view the label.
Regardless of what key code is on your lock, the lock is affected by this recall program if you can remove the key from the deadbolt cylinder in the 9 o’clock position after engaging the deadbolt.
To determine if your lock’s deadbolt operates properly, you should cycle the deadbolt cylinder through all of its operating positions with the user keys. If you can remove the key in 9 o’clock position while the deadbolt is engaged, your cylinders need to be replaced with a new set of cylinders as part of the recall program.

Here is the address to the actual PDF file : http://www.fastecindustrial.com/recall/Fastec Cylinder Recall letter.pdf

chiefneon

Howdy!

I called Heartland customer service this morning and they are shipping me a new door latch.
Thanks for the help.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon