Thread: ATF: Edge - Slide rubber barrier deployment

1. Print this Post   #1

ATF: Edge - Slide rubber barrier deployment

Is there an optimal or predicted manner of barrier deployment when the slide is engaged in either the extending or retracting motion? Reason for the question: There are 4 rubber barriers that protect the interior of the coach at all points along the slide / coach periphery. When my slide is fully extended or fully retracted, the rubber weather barriers on the top and sides do not appear to fully deploy properly; in other words the barrier proper is folded over on itself and / or not fully flat against the exterior wall of the slide. This problem allows water intrusion during rain events. In order to make the rubber barriers deploy properly (I think) I have to reach into the partially folded rubber and literally pull it into position to what I believe is the correct aspect. This leads to the next question: Are the corners of the top barrier intended to overlay the end run of the side barriers? If so, what correcitve action can I use to make that happen? Currently, since these barriers do not appear to properly deploy, this secondary problem is a recurring one as well. I fully intend to provide pictures of the various aspects of all points of this communication, however, I am not able to do so at the moment. I will wait for a reply to this message and determine the next course of action.
    Thank you,
    Scott Neprud

2. Print this Post   #2
    Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders TravelTiger's Avatar

Re: ATF: Edge - Slide rubber barrier deployment

Erika Dorsey
    Founding
    Texas - West Chapter Leader
    Erika & Tony with two traveling cats, Mambo and Tango
    2016 Big Country 4010RD
    2010 ElkRidge 34QSRL (gone)
    2008 NorthTrail 21FBS (gone)
    2016 GMC Sierra SLT 3500 crew cab, long bed, DRW, 4X4
    B&W Companion 20K hitch, Reese 5th Airborne Pin Box, 507 TST, Torklift Glowstep Revolution Steps,
    MorRyde SRE4000, Winegard Trav'ler, Furrion High-Speed Observation Camera, SmartPlug 50amp Connector
    Visit our blog at http://mammothtravels.blogspot.com/
    HOC #1733

3. Print this Post   #3

When I first got my Edge used I had similar issues but after I manually corrected the barrier positioning at the corners one time the issues were resolved. Here is how I have my corners:

The top barrier goes above the side barrier on both sides when slide is extended.
    The side barrier goes outside the bottom rubber barrier on both sides when slide is extended.
    The bottom barrier goes inside the side barrier on both ends.

On my Edge slide all 4 of the barriers are flat against the side wall when side is extended with the corners configured this way.

On my 2011 Edge M21, it was not like this when I first got it at least on the lower corners and I had manually position the rubbers this way once. After I corrected them they have always stayed correct when slide extends.
    Last edited by evolvingpowercat; 04-16-2014 at 12:16 PM. Reason: correct error
    Randy
    2011 Heartland Edge M21
    Manhattan, Kansas, USA

4. Print this Post   #4

Hi Randy,
    Thank you for the assist. I am going to go experiment with how you have presented the settings and check the barrier movement in both motions.
    Thanks again,
    Scott
    Scott & DeWaun, traveling with
    2 Corgis and 1 slighty brain damaged Husky mix.

5. Print this Post   #5
    Founders of SoCal Chapter Bob&Patty's Avatar

Scott, if you have an awning on your Edge. Use the awning release tool to pull out the seals/flaps. The seals/flaps will only help deflect water away, they are not the slide seals. If your awning is electric...then there is no tool. If you clean the seals well, you can spray them with "dry silicone". Just as a note....if you are getting water in the coach with the slide out. Then the seals on the slide are the issue. With the slide extended, look and see if you can see light coming through. If so, you will need to adjust the slide.
    Bob (Old cranky), Great wife Patty, 5 great kids, 11 grandkids

Callie the wonder dog (we are still wondering) and 1 crazy cat "Baby" (RIP at 18 years old). Callie misses her Kitty.

2013 GMC 3500 HD DRW C/C L/B with all the goodies (the grey ghost). AirLift 5000 with auto leveling. 34 gal custom auxillary in bed tank. Spray in bed liner and rubber mat. 16K Husky hitch.

07 2955RL BIG HORN #5103

58 Belair 2dr hardtop, low and slow custom.

HEARTLAND CLUB MEMBER # 1056