RV Washing Blue Beacon

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I've been to four BB's and they are all the same, get in line and wait. It's worth it though...

porthole

Retired
Decided to try the BB wash on the way home from Dover. Before our trip all I got to do was the roof and front cap, and the trailer had not been washed since last year. There are multiple BB's that are listed on the website as being 8% higher in cost, and the New Jersey station is on that list.

We did:
pickup/van 15.50
camper/trailer 27.00
rainx trailer 13.00
rainx pickup 6.00

Total with tax - 65.81 Gave a $15 dollar tip.

I read on several reviews that it is suggested that if you are going to tip to give it to the crew boss when you start the wash. Our boss was going home at the time, so the tip was at the end.
One marker light blew off and when I picked it up they went right away to get a manger, no big deal, the light was already cracked and on my list of things to replace.

The truck and trailer looked great, all of the black streaks were gone which was a real bonus. They don't dry and maybe not rinse perfect, we have a few streaks of dirty water the streamed from the ride home. But, I'm thinking a less then 1 hour wash now will make the trailer look great.

I might just make this a stop on the way home from all of our south trips.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
This is high praise knowing how particular you are Duane. I will be stopping at a BB on my way to Va this weekend

porthole

Retired
I actually asked Kary how to care for the exterior of my new partial painted BH ... he checked direct with the paint division and was told to never use the typical wash/wax liquid cleaners, but suggested Blue Dawn liquid detergent (remember that's the detergent that got all the hype for cleaning the oil off the birds from that Gulf oil spill). Then they sent me a Precision Painting pamphlet on proper care ... washing and waxing.

I wash only with the Blue Dawn now and it sparkles nicely.

Dawn is a detergent and will remove any wax you have applied. I personally would not use it on the RV unless I was trying to clean off oil stains or diesel soot stains.

And it is the number one product used in cleaning at oil spills, where any products other then water can be used, such as at decon stations.
And because of it's unique abilities it was frequently used around fuel docks at marinas until the feds stepped in. A couple drops of dawn in the water would quickly dissipate a small fuel spill.

BTW, if you have soot stains from your truck, I have found using Simple Green every time we got back to the dock would do a good job of keeping the transom clean.

porthole

Retired
This is high praise knowing how particular you are Duane. I will be stopping at a BB on my way to Va this weekend

Kevin, if you have a smart phone - there's an app for that :cool:

The Jersey BB is right off the turnpike. Problem is you can see the bill board from the high way, you just can't see the wash.
Once off the interstate it is at the truck stop that has the CAT scale (not the Love's stop).
You have to go through a "toll booth" but parking is free under 2 hours or a $50 fill up.

Once through the gate bear right and head up the hill. The wash is a large blue building.

And when you go through that gate - stop far enough away to get out and push the button. Otherwise when you open your door you will hit the concrete pad. Don't ask me how I know :mad:

ILH

I had never heard of Blue Beacon before. Turns out there are a couple of locations in Ontario ... but unfortunately nothing close to me :(