ATF: Landmark - Problem with factory installation

During delivery testing of our new coach, we discovered that the washing machine was not draining and was not continuing with its cycle. A conversation with the manufacturer indicated that there is a bad pump which will be covered under warranty.

My dilemma is that the unit is so tightly installed and immobile that it cannot be accessed to make the repairs.

Can someone provide some assistance? We are without our sheets now for 2 weeks because the door is locked, and we can't even get to the bypass for the door lock.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Savannah2014, welcome to the forum. A great place with great information.
I would suggest that if you are having a problem with the wash machine you contact your dealer.
I believe that this is something that would be covered under warranty.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

Sounds like you plan to do the work yourself.

If you have the Splendide stacked units, the dryer will have to be taken out first. There should be a bracket holding the units together and perhaps one holding it to the trailer. Don't know your floorplan, but if in the front corner of the bedroom, you might want to take the mattress out of the bedroom and use the bed platform to place the dryer and to work on the washer.

Or you might make an appointment with an authorized service location with the understanding that you'll wait while it's fixed.

jbeletti

...We are without our sheets now for 2 weeks because the door is locked, and we can't even get to the bypass for the door lock.

If I recall correctly, you remove the lower plastic base cover of the wash machine and behind there is a lever that allows you to release/open the locked door.

Note too that you will likely need to remove the door and maybe door frame to pull the wash machine out into the hallway for the repair.

jbeletti

Okay - I have the scoop for you on how "I" would remove my wash machine.

First, some dimensions:
  • 23-1/2" - Wash Machine Width
  • 23-1/2" - W/D Closet Width (frame to frame)
  • 25" - Hallway opening at top stair (measured from edge of pocket door to bathroom door hinge)
Based on the above, the wash machine "will" make it downstairs on the kitchen floor to be repaired. It will "not" come out of the closet without removing the right-side door frame.

Here's the steps I would take:
  1. Please cardboard or packing blanket on kitchen floor where wash machine is to be worked on
  2. Unplug both wash machine and dryer from AC power
  3. Shut off both hot and cold water valves to the left of the wash machine
  4. Grab a large towel and if needed, a pair of Channel Lock pliers and remove both the hot and cold water lines from the supply valves. Drain any water onto towel
  5. Remove plastic trim panel at bottom of wash machine and dryer - they both pull straight off easily
  6. Look for the green handle/lever on the bottom right corner of the wash machine to the right of the debris filter (round black thing). Pull down on the green handle - it's the Emergency Door Release. Door should open
  7. Remove screws and L brackets at the top left and right of the dryer - they tie the dryer into the shelf above it
  8. Remove the screws from the bracket on top of the wash machine that tie the dryer to it
  9. Remove 2 screws and strike plate from right side closet door trim
  10. Pry right side closet door trim off them wall by pulling towards the hinge side of the door way
  11. Using a good pair of pliers, remove all the brad nails sticking out of the right side door opening and any that may have stayed in the removed door trim
  12. Remove the closet door by removing the hinge screws from the door trim (6 screws in all). Do not remove the screws or hinges from the door itself. You will now have about 24" if width for removal
  13. With the help of a friend, remove the dryer, carefully walk it downstairs and place it on the floor in front of the TV. Note that you may have to push backward, then lift up a bit to disconnect the dryer from the bracket that holds it onto the wash machine
  14. With a friend, as best as you can, lift the wash machine up and over the drain tray and out into the hallway. It will be heavy!
  15. As carefully as you can, walk the wash machine down the stairs and set it on your cardboard or packing blanket
  16. Invite the servicer in to replace the pump
To reinstall - I guess, reverse most of the above steps.

Below are a few pics.

Upper Bracket for Dryer - there is one on each side.jpg Lower Dryer Bracket.jpg Emergency Door Release.jpg Strike plate and Vertical Door Frame.jpg

All good advice. Thank you all for the very detailed responses- it hhelped me put together an attack plan.

Turns out that the dryer, when stacked on top of the washer, is held in place by a small bracket that is easily accessible behind the bottom access panel of the dryer.

The entire stacked assembly is held in place by (1) the shelf above and (2) the drain pan below. The shelf above must be completely disassembled and removed in order to get the entire stacked assembly to move at all. With the shelf removed, the dryer can now come out.

NOW the washer can be tilted back and the lower access panel can be removed. The washer access panel CANNOT be accessed the way it sits in the drain pan- the drain pan is a shallow plastic box that protects the RV in case the washer leaks or overflows- the pan has 1-inch high side walls all the way around and is mounted in place. It's actually a pretty clever total assembly to keep everything in place and preventing shifting while traveling, but that enclosure makes it impossible to open the access panel on the washer without entirely disassembling the unit. I would say this is a design flaw- the washer is not ideal for the assembly.

Now let's discuss the washer. Splendide's answer to warranty service is to give me the name of the nearest service center and work it out with them. The nearest service center is 38 miles away in New Jersey and they refuse to travel to me, so looks like I'm taking it to them.

I realize things happen and given the complexity and luxury of our coach, I'm really pleased that this is the only significant problem (that I know of) with our delivery, but the entire ordeal has spoiled what should have been a grand experience that we have planned for the last 10 years. This stacked unit was not cheap- and for Heartland to choose a company that provides such poor warranty service is really kind of sad. It's not like we've been traveling for a year and this happened- Splendide delivered this washer to the factory with a bad pump and now, not even our dealer can help me get this sorted out. Heartland is completely disavowing any responsibility, and I gather from my conversations with Splendide that they are only in position to provide good factory support if you are within 10 miles of their HQ in Oregon.

Bottom line: Factory prep for washer / dryer: excellent idea. Factory-installed washer / dryer: never again.

jbeletti

Your install must be a bit different than mine as I was able to pull the cover off the washer to access to release lever. My guess is the washer pan in yours was mounted farther back than mine. Sorry about that.

With regard to Splendide, the service your are experiencing is really a function of the dealer. Dealers have their own rules, not unlike an RV dealer, or dealership that handles any brand of anything.

In the half dozen sets of Splendide units I've had, I had trouble with one washer on it's first use. I found a mobile RV tech that was Splendide authorized. Unfortunately, a freak storm delayed his arrival and had to move on. I ended up taking it into a Camping World.

You may want to call around to find a mobile RV servicer that is Splendide certified.

Sorry for your trouble and wishing you the best on your repair.

danemayer

Now let's discuss the washer. Splendide's answer to warranty service is to give me the name of the nearest service center and work it out with them. The nearest service center is 38 miles away in New Jersey and they refuse to travel to me, so looks like I'm taking it to them.
Hi Savannah2014,

I'm not sure what you were expecting.

When you have a warranty issue, manufacturers expect you to return to your dealer for service. The dealer typically shields you from details of warranty coverage. So even though the appliance warranties are provided by their respective manufacturers, by going to the dealer for service, most times, you won't even know the behind-the-scenes details. They just fix it. That's what would have happened in this case if you had taken it to your selling dealer.

I know that for many of us, returning to the selling dealer doesn't work all the time, if at all. But it doesn't even have to be your selling dealer. Our dryer was repaired under warranty by a non-Heartland dealer near us. The same dealer did all our warranty work. Heartland authorized the dealer for warranty claims and they already had a relationship with all the appliance vendors because most are commonly used on many different RV brands.

It's also possible to hire mobile techs, but of course their travel-time charges are not covered by Heartland or anyone else.

When we decide to do our own repairs, it's like becoming a general contractor, and all the details of the process fall into our laps. Sometimes that's easier. Sometimes not. Many of us have done our own work and Heartland is usually pretty supportive and will often send parts directly to us under warranty. Of course Heartland doesn't stock repair parts for washing machines, so in that case, Splendide policies govern the situation.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Duane, since the op is from DE I would have to think they are talking about Camping World on 295 but that's just a guess.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2