New Axle needed - urgently

Am just wondering if anyone knows where we can get a new axel for our Big Country 3510 in a quickly. (meaning inside of a week). We are stranded in Marshall, TX and we visited a dealership yesterday (near Marshall Texas) and they said that the earliest (best guess) would be a week-10 days. We cannot 'afford' to be in the United States that length of time as our time in the States is running out (we are Canadian).

Hubby trying to get a better photograph of this but he is having a hard time crawling under the rig as he bruised his ribs yesterday (in a mishap) and isn't moving around well.

it's been 'an adventure' to say the least.
:)

2014Apr20-4.jpg

jnbhobe

Re: New Axel needed - urgently

I would call Heartland and Dexter in the morning Have your serial # and your picture ready to send them. They may know of one locally.

MTPockets

Three other things come to mind if I were in that situation, 1) contact Heartland service and explain the situation/ask for advice on expedited shipment. 2) contact Dexter axle. 3) visit local trailer business for advice/assistance.

jbeletti

Here's Dexter's number:

Contact Dexter Axle

Product & Service Information

To order by phone:
Contact us from from 7am-6pm EST (Monday-Friday)
(260) 636-5311 or (260) 636-2195

For questions about online orders
Contact us from 7am-6pm EST (Monday-Friday)

For product information or service & warranty
Contact us from 8am-5pm EST (Monday-Friday)
(574) 295-7888

wdk450

May I ask (in order to maybe help you better):

A. Is your rig single, dual, or triple axle? I don't know the wisdom of mixing axles/brakes brands.

B. What is wrong with your present axle? Are you SURE it is beyond repair?

C. Have you talked to a truck alignment shop? (They also align - i.e. bend- , maybe fix, trailer axles).

Good Luck!!!

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador

There is a Lippert facility in Longview, 23 miles from Marshall. Their number is 903-758-1572...call them in the am.

danemayer

If you need a new axle, Dexter will need to understand the urgency. I had an axle replaced last year and I was told they make the axle assemblies as they are ordered. There is nothing stocked. Even so, it didn't take too long - but not a day or two.

Also, if you need overnight or 2nd day shipping, the additional shipping cost is likely to be pretty high for a large, heavy part like an axle.

jimtoo

Check for Tractor Supply in the area. They keep some axles in all the stores,, don't know if they have one with 6--7k rating, bur worth checking.

Jim M

TXTiger

I am not an Immigration Lawyer but due to the fact that your husband hurt himself in combination with the vehicle breakdown you may be granted an extension of your stay in the USA for a short time to get the repair completed. It can't hurt to ask.

olcoon

I agree with Tony, I'd think that due to the circumstances, you should be able to get an extension. Also, I wouldn't stop looking because of what 1 RV dealer told you. There may be another one around that could get one, also probably any type of utility trailer shop may have one in stock.

happykraut

A large truck repair facility can straighten axles. I've had it done on one of my previous SOB's.

Last edited:

You would think so, Dan (re Dexter would need to understand the urgency). We called them this morning. They really didn't want much to do with this, so they sent us on to a distributor. We asked 'who'... they said 'look it up on the internet'. Yes... they were a BIG help. NOT.

So... we've been on the phone, playing phone tag etc with a distributor since 8:00 this morning. Nothing resolved yet (and it's 1:00pm) Hopefully THIS day isn't wasted. :(

If there is an axle nearby, we will drive and pick it up (which will save time, I'm sure... not to mention shipping).

Dexter was no help at all, Jim. They sent us on to find a distributor. We asked 'where'. They said 'look it up online'. Thanks... for nothing. :(

Here's Dexter's number:

Contact Dexter Axle

Product & Service Information

To order by phone:
Contact us from from 7am-6pm EST (Monday-Friday)

For questions about online orders
Contact us from 7am-6pm EST (Monday-Friday)

For product information or service & warranty
Contact us from 8am-5pm EST (Monday-Friday)
(574) 295-7888

Answers:

a) Our rig is has 2 single axles (4 wheels). It's a Big Country 3510 - 38' in length.

b) Yes... needs to be replaced. The threads on the spindle are stripped. The spindle was bent on impact and the repair place won't repair it (because of liability, etc)

c) Yes... hubby and his friend went to local places here to see if they would do a repair etc. Nope.

May I ask (in order to maybe help you better):

A. Is your rig single, dual, or triple axle? I don't know the wisdom of mixing axles/brakes brands.

B. What is wrong with your present axle? Are you SURE it is beyond repair?

C. Have you talked to a truck alignment shop? (They also align - i.e. bend- , maybe fix, trailer axles).

Good Luck!!!

I now know how to crawl under the rig and find the information we need to get a new axle (the Dexter Axel #). Not an easy feat, but this lady did it! :) My poor hubby is not moving too quickly because of the injured ribs. Now if only we would get a phone call back telling us they found one, I'd be a happy camper.

wdk450

I looked on Google Maps and RVServiceReviews.com and without going into nearby Shreveport, Lousiana, the best sounding RV service place i came up with was in Tyler, Texas. If you haven't called them already try:
Tyler RV Center
985 East N.E. Loop 323, Tyler, TX 75708
903-597-1471

Good Luck!!

JonV

60 miles seems a long way todrag this thing on just 3 wheels though.

I looked on Google Maps and RVServiceReviews.com and without going into nearby Shreveport, Lousiana, the best sounding RV service place i came up with was in Tyler, Texas. If you haven't called them already try:
Tyler RV Center
985 East N.E. Loop 323,Tyler, TX 75708
903-597-1471

Good Luck!!

Willym

Jon/Eileen,

A couple of items regarding your concerns with overstaying in the US - just from a tax POV. The tax year is now 2014, if you stay later now, you may just have to delay your arrival time in the fall so that 183 day limit is not exceeded for this year. There is also a medical exemption that allows longer stays - but you'll need to submit IRS form 8843 to cover it. Finally, there is currently no automatic exchange of arrival departure data between the US and Canada. Unless one country asks then other for info, then neither know how long your stay has been. However, as of June this year, an automatic info exchange system will be introduced.

Good luck getting the axle fixed, I expect to see you both in Kingston in May!

JonV

Thanks for the information Bill. We'll definitely have to start filing the 8840 form too. I understand there changes coming in that regard.

Are you folks going to the Ontario Capter rally in Niagara Falls? If so we'll see you there.

wdk450

Maybe if you explain your complete situation the distant servicers might do on-site service for you, or if they have the axle deliver it to the local RV servicer you are working.

Plead your case!! I like to think we Americans are caring and helpful, especially to people from other countries exploring our beautiful country.

Are there any East Texan HOTEL members, or Shreveport area HOTEL members who can help this couple out??? Maybe pick up and deliver an axle?