Is Our Truck Enough For A Landmark

fdmckee

DH and I are looking seriously to upgrade to a Landmark. We now have an Everest 344J, but want something better before we retire.
We have already seen a Big Horn 3670 and fell in love with that floorplan. Then we heard about the Landmark and love the Augusta and possibly the Pinehurst floorplan, but won't know for sure until we have seen them in person. What we really want to know is if our truck is enough to pull one of these fine 5ver's. We have a 2004 Ford F350 King Ranch, 2x4 crew cab, 6.0 diesel. It is not a dually, but we are willing to add a bigger hitch (have a 16K now) and air bags, if necessary. We just don't want to fall in love with the Landmark, then find out we can't do it.
So what do you experienced Landmark owners think? Do you think we can pull it off? Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated and helpful.
Danette & Fred

BluegrassMan

Hi FD:
I don't feel that you should have ANY problem towing the Landmark. I towed my Grand Canyon for the past 2 1/2 yrs. with a 96' Dodge 2500HD V10 with 3:54 gears. I also had Airlift system on it, just to keep everything level and keep a good ride. I felt that the Dodge was a little light in the "brake" dept, on mountains, and the engine was getting some miles on it, I was over my weight limit for the truck; So I moved up in size and weight of a Tow Vhicle.

Tom of Ypsi

I do not believe you will have any problems towing with either one of you choices. With both floorplans you will be close to maxing out if loaded for fulltiming or carrying a lot of extra stuff. Braking is another issue and again you will be alright depending on how you load, too much weight and not enough brake. When we bought our Landmark we were told to go to a 20K hitch to be on the safe side since the max weight on the my Landmark is 16K and I believe the new Landmarks are 16.2K. Whichever model you choose you will have a quality coach built by a quality company. Good Luck

fdmckee

Thank you BluegrassMan and Tom for your information. We really appreciate your input and it looks like we can continue looking at the Landmarks. :) We are more than willing to change to a 20K hitch and even air bags and we will continue checking out the braking. Maybe we'll even go to our Ford dealership and see what they say. Again, thanks so much!!
Danette & Fred

Pulltab

Do the homework on the trailer and truck as far as weight limitations go. Don't just take someones word on a forum that you are ok to tow something. Just because someone else would do it doesn't make it right! Just my honest opinion.

I have been down this road of thinking what I had could pull what I bought and I am here to tell you that you won't like the results. Can you pull it , yes, is it safe ? can you stop it is the real question! Don't go over your head and get yourself in for more than you are willing to deal with.

BluegrassMan

Pulltab:
That's what I was hinting to when I told FD that I upgraded to a heavier truck. I changed because my Dodge wasn't up to the task with a heavy trailer. I just didn't want to tell him "You gotta buy a new truck". Nothing is worse than needing BRAKES downhill in traffic backups !!! Been there, got the skidmarks in my shorts to prove it! Now with the F450 I feel safe, Heavier trucks also have bigger wheel bearings,axles, etc.

Pulltab

There is not an easy way to tell people that they probably need a larger truck, cause that is not what they want to hear. But finding out your truck is NOT enough is even harder to swallow!

I am not saying it is or it isn't larger enough, only the numbers can tell the truth. I can tell you I have the largest GCWR Dodge had to offer last year in a 2007 at 23,000 lbs. Our bighorn is near its max weight allowance of 14,000 and we are REAL close but not over the limit. Don't fool yourself, like bluegrass said, skid marks in your underwear are one thing, on the road it is another!

theharveys

When my DW and I went from a 27' travel trailer to a 38' fifth wheel, I told her (and she agreed), the we needed to buy a new (to us) truck. We went from a '94 Ford One-ton dually to a Ford F550. It has pulled our large (SOB) fifth wheel all over the country without issue. Recently, we ordered a brand new Landmark Augusta and I am glad to have the F550.
It is chipped and equipped with high performance exhaust, as well as some other assorted performance parts.
It has 4:88 gears, but if I keep the speed down, I can get 10 MPG towing.
In anticipation of towing the Landmark, I am getting ready to spend $1500.00 on high performance brakes including slotted rotors, high performance calipers and pads. I may even get an exhaust brake installed.
Yes, it rides like a truck when unhitched, but once you throw 2000 or 3000 pounds onto the hitch, the ride is quite pleasent.
Given the choice, I would rather have too much truck then "just enough".
I would go to an HDT if the DW would let me. I have seen some awfully nice Volvos out there. Can you say 500 HP and a 10 speed autoshift transmission? No towing issues there!

ladymc53

Hi, new poster here. We're looking at the Augusta and Pinehurst. We purchased a 2008 Dodge 3500 1 ton, diesel dually with exhaust brake at the end of December. Was told by the dealer that it would haul 20,000 lbs. We recently put a 20K Husky hitch on it. We currentlly have a 1999 Newmar Mountainair, 15,000 loaded and the previous truck, which was smaller (F350 V10) pulled it fine. Now that we have the Dodge it will pull everything alright. The Pinehust isn't that much bigger than the Newmar. Thoughts please? Thanks...still looking and appreciating the beauty of the Landmark's.

jbeletti

Pinehurst has a GVWR of about 16,000. If your truck is truly rated at 20,000, I think you'll be in good shape.

By the way, I too favor the Pinehurst and have one on order. I'm moving to it from a classic Landmark, a 2005 Landmark Mt. Rushmore.

Jim

Pulltab

Hi, new poster here. We're looking at the Augusta and Pinehurst. We purchased a 2008 Dodge 3500 1 ton, diesel dually with exhaust brake at the end of December. Was told by the dealer that it would haul 20,000 lbs. We recently put a 20K Husky hitch on it. We currentlly have a 1999 Newmar Mountainair, 15,000 loaded and the previous truck, which was smaller (F350 V10) pulled it fine. Now that we have the Dodge it will pull everything alright. The Pinehust isn't that much bigger than the Newmar. Thoughts please? Thanks...still looking and appreciating the beauty of the Landmark's.

Dodges Website lists the new 2008 3500 dually properly equiped at a GCWR of 24,000 lbs, I guarantee you the truck is gonna weigh 8,000lb minimum. That would leave you at best 16,000towing capacity . True it WILL haul that much but how safely. Never trust what a dealer tells you I got burned on that one.

That is on a quad cab, a regular cab is only 23,000 The truck would have to be rated at minimum of 28,000 GCWR to pull 20,000 and that puts you well into the CDL area for license.

Last edited:

Blessed

I have a Landmark Monticello with a GVW of 18,000# and a towing weight of 16,000#. I pull it with a 2006 Dodge 3500 SRW short bed with the 5.9 Cummins. It tows great. I agree that the real issue is brakes. The best thing I did was to have Mor-Ryd install disc brakes on my trailer and I installed a BrakeSmart controller on my truck. My unit will now stop faster than than when I was pulling a 9000# travel trailer.

haole

DH and I are looking seriously to upgrade to a Landmark. We now have an Everest 344J, but want something better before we retire.
We have already seen a Big Horn 3670 and fell in love with that floorplan. Then we heard about the Landmark and love the Augusta and possibly the Pinehurst floorplan, but won't know for sure until we have seen them in person. What we really want to know is if our truck is enough to pull one of these fine 5ver's. We have a 2004 Ford F350 King Ranch, 2x4 crew cab, 6.0 diesel. It is not a dually, but we are willing to add a bigger hitch (have a 16K now) and air bags, if necessary. We just don't want to fall in love with the Landmark, then find out we can't do it.
So what do you experienced Landmark owners think? Do you think we can pull it off? Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated and helpful.
Danette & Fred

The 2004 F350 SRW can tow 13,100 with an auto and 12,900 with a manual. The biggest issue you'll probably have is braking.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/rv_trailer_towing/2004/2004_default.asp

I'm pushing the limit on my 07 King Ranch and if it's a fast yellow, it's possible that you will have a challenge stopping. I'm still playing with the brake controller settings, but haven't had issues otherwise.

fdmckee

Thank you everyone for your input. We will take all of your advice into consideration and we're also going to go to our Ford dealer where we bought our truck and see what they say about towing. Want to also check out that Mor-Ryd disc brakes and BrakeSmart controller that Blessed mentioned. I'm sure those will help tremendously, but won't do anything until we talk to Ford. Again, thank you all for your responses!! :)

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I moved from a 40 foot Alfa Gold 253 to the 2007 Landmark Golden Gate. I have towed both units all over this wonderful country. I have had both units weighed and believe it or not both GCVW is identical. They both maxed out at 16100 pounds travel weight. I do not travel with full water tanks as that adds almost 1000 pounds. I will say the most difficulty with both units is stopping on a downhill run. Be sure to have the selling dealer adjust your trailer brakes properly before leaving their lot. I tow with a 99 Ford F350 with a 7.3 diesel and it is equipped with a full Banks power pak system and air bags on the rear suspension. The Landmark hitch weight is quite a bit more than the Alfa was and I have to run more air in the air bags to keep the truck level. I just upgraded the Landmark suspension tothe Mor-Ryde IS system with never-lube bearing and disc brakes. The trailer now will stop and I don't white knuckle panic stops as with the disc brakes it makes all of the difference in the world. Oh yes, I forgot to mention I also have and exhaust brake on the truck and would not drive in the mountains without one. I have almost 200000 miles on the truck and have only had to change brakes on it twice. Drive defensively and anticipate stops and you can tow all over the place. Happy traveling.
Jim & Sheila Gratz
jmgratz@windstream.net
99 Ford F350, with Banks
07 Landmark Golden Gate

Oldlthrnecksgirl

Hisyoungercuterwife
We pull our Bighorn with our GMC 2500 HD, and STOP with no problem. We will end up with a Landmark and a bigger truck. Pin weight is the issue more than anything for us,,, duellys don't add to the pin weight capacity nor do some of the larger sounding trucks like a one ton.

truknutt

Committed Member
We pull our Bighorn with our GMC 2500 HD, and STOP with no problem. We will end up with a Landmark and a bigger truck. Pin weight is the issue more than anything for us,,, duellys don't add to the pin weight capacity nor do some of the larger sounding trucks like a one ton.

OLNG,

I'm confused by your dually statement. I pulled the rear spring specs for the 2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD & 3500HD and found a substantial difference between the Single Rear Wheel (SRW) and Dual Rear Wheel (DRW):
2500HD (SRW) is rated at 6,084 lbs http://www.gmc.com/sierra/2500HD/specsCapabilities.jsp

3500HD (SRW) is rated at 6,500 lbs
3500HD (DRW) is rated at 8,200 lbs http://www.gmc.com/sierra/3500/specsCapabilities.jsp

Granted these are Rear Spring Capacities and not actual pin weights but if the spring capacity increases it stands to reason that the pin weight should also increase, doesn't it? :confused:

Stepping up from the 2500 to the 3500 SRW gets you little in weight gain but the size of the brakes should be the issue here. I have both a Ford F-250 & F-350 and can tell you that there is a B-i-i-i-i-g difference in brake rotor mass!

Just my 2 cents worth. Thanks for listening,

Dave

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
OLNG,

I'm confused by your dually statement. I pulled the rear spring specs for the 2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD & 3500HD and found a substantial difference between the Single Rear Wheel (SRW) and Dual Rear Wheel (DRW):
2500HD (SRW) is rated at 6,084 lbs http://www.gmc.com/sierra/2500HD/specsCapabilities.jsp

3500HD (SRW) is rated at 6,500 lbs
3500HD (DRW) is rated at 8,200 lbs http://www.gmc.com/sierra/3500/specsCapabilities.jsp

Granted these are Rear Spring Capacities and not actual pin weights but if the spring capacity increases it stands to reason that the pin weight should also increase, doesn't it? :confused:

Stepping up from the 2500 to the 3500 SRW gets you little in weight gain but the size of the brakes should be the issue here. I have both a Ford F-250 & F-350 and can tell you that there is a B-i-i-i-i-g difference in brake rotor mass!

Just my 2 cents worth. Thanks for listening,

Dave

Dave.... the brake size is the same on GM 2500 and 3500 trucks--12.8 x 1.5 ....245.5 sq. in. www.chevrolet.com/silverado/specifications Ken

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
Dave:
I think she is a bit confused about a lot of these numbers. There is one thing that seems a bit odd though. I have a brochure that was given to me at a dealership that lists the weights and payloads and GCWRs of various models of trucks that GM produces. The numbers on the website are somewhat different than what are in the brochure.
Maybe the brake rotors on the Fords are substantially different between the F-250 and the F-350, but when I was looking to upgrade the rotors on my GMC the part numbers for the rotors between the 2500HD and the 3500HD were indentical. So, based on that I am assuming that the braking ability of my 2500HD is similar to the 3500HD. I will concede that the 3500HD DRW would be better based on the fact that there are 6 tires, on the DRW, in contact with the ground vs. only 4 on the SRW. But this subject, on this website, RV.net, and on the Diesel Place, has been beaten to death. I do know that my Big Horn is about the limit that I will tow with my truck. We try to load it intelligently and have been carefull about not loading it to the point that we exceed the GCWR of the truck that we have. Our plans include upgrading to a Landmark, when I retire, and at that time I will definitely be upgrading to a MDT.
Fred

Oldlthrnecksgirl

Hisyoungercuterwife
Could someone please pass the salt? I need to eat my words! I did misunderstand the many conversations I have had with DH so from now on I will only comment on things I KNOW about!! Sorry if I have added any confusion.

Now, have I mentioned that I love my kitchen?? lol,,, sheepishly Lizzy