Residential Refrigerator User Guide

danemayer

Our new owner-written Residential Refrigerator User Guide is now posted in the manuals section of the forum. A copy is located with the Frigidaire Residential Refrigerator manuals, in the User Guides section, and in the Troubleshooting section. It can also be found by using the TOOLS button at top of page and selecting HUG - Heartland User Guides.

This guide supplements the manufacturer's manual and explains the components and controls providing power to the refrigerator. To help you in case there is a power problem, we've created a block diagram of the electrical system and a troubleshooting flowchart. There is also a detailed, step-by-step winterizing procedure with pictures.

alethaj

We will pick up our Big Horn 3755FL on Tuesday...it has a residential Refrigerator in it..this will be our first rig with this type of frdge...I am not undestanding how we travel for seveal hours and keep
the fridge running since it is not hooked up thru the LP gas system??...explanation in dummy terms please...

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
The residential fridge runs off 110volt power produced by the inverter. A separate battery, charged by your truck while traveling is hooked to the inverter which inverts the 12V DC power into 110V AC power for the fridge. When you get to the campground, simply plug into the CG shore power and the fridge will draw power from the CG power supply.

danemayer

With the residential refrigerator option, Heartland supplies 2 batteries. The batteries supply 12V DC to an inverter. The inverter changes 12V DC into 110V AC to run the refrigerator. When you plug into shore power, the refrigerator receives power from the campground pedestal. When you unplug from shore power, it receives power from the batteries/inverter.

As the guide points out, if the RV has been in storage, you may have to turn the inverter ON using the remote switch inside the coach. If you have other questions, the guide may contain the answers. If there's something not answered there, ask away.

alethaj

We will pick up our Big Horn 3755FL on Tuesday...it has a residential Refrigerator in it..this will be our first rig with this type of frdge...I am not undestanding how we travel for seveal hours and keep
the fridge running since it is not hooked up thru the LP gas system??...explanation in dummy terms please...

Thank you for the information....the dearlership where we are purchasing the unit said something about an invertor but I didn't understand what they ment....will look at the manuals
when we have the unit at home.....it is nice to have a place to come to when questions arise...Happy travels to all

jbeletti

....it is nice to have a place to come to when questions arise...

That's one of the main reasons this forum exists. Owners helping owners. One day soon, you'll be contributing to the community with things you've learned along the way. Until then, please leverage the brain trust here on the forum - we're all happy to help.

MandA

We recently became owners of a landmark with a residential frig. My wife ask this frig is large how will all things inside ride on the road, could then get all turned over or spilled while traveling. Gas rv frig had guards to keep things on the shelf. Any advice will be appreciated.

davebennington

We use expanding rods from camping world placed across the front to keep everything in place, so far it has worked well.

dave

jbeletti

We recently became owners of a landmark with a residential frig. My wife ask this frig is large how will all things inside ride on the road, could then get all turned over or spilled while traveling. Gas rv frig had guards to keep things on the shelf. Any advice will be appreciated.

We use Fridge Binz - link. They're sold in a lot of places. We have at least 2 of varying sizes on each shelf.
FridgeBinzDividedDeepTraysAll_x.jpg

boatto5er

Tension curtain rods work also. And they are usually available at Walmart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldelmer1

How do you turn the residential refrigerator off? I know you push the button on the front, but is there a way to power off as if you pull the plug?

boatto5er

How do you turn the residential refrigerator off? I know you push the button on the front, but is there a way to power off as if you pull the plug?

The refrigerator has an on/off switch. I also turn off the inverter when not using the fridge.

danemayer

As there are 2 power sources, the equivalent of "pulling the plug" would be to take 2 steps:

• Interrupt 120V AC power
    • turn off the circuit breaker in the main panel
  • Interrupt 12V DC power or the inverter output
    • Either turn off the inverter using the local switch on the inverter, or remote switch in the control panel, or
    • Turn off the 12V DC Power Cutoff to the inverter, or
    • Unplug the transfer switch from the inverter, if they are separate units.

oldelmer1

Thanks Dan, do you unplug yours? or just leave it in the OFF(display) position?

- - - Updated - - -

The refrigerator has an on/off switch. I also turn off the inverter when not using the fridge.

Gus, when I turn off the refrigerator switch, the display is still powered on and shows a status of OFF.

danemayer

Thanks Dan, do you unplug yours? or just leave it in the OFF(display) position?

- - - Updated - - -

Gus, when I turn off the refrigerator switch, the display is still powered on and shows a status of OFF.

Tom,

I don't have a residential fridge. But having looked at some of the manuals, I believe some make/models still draw some power for their circuit boards even when turned off at the refrigerator. Some may have a secondary way to shut off the control boards via a keypress sequence. Others may not.

When in storage without shore power, you'll want to turn off both 12V DC cutoff switches near the batteries. That will ensure that there's nothing drawing power.

If you're turning it off to work on something, but need power elsewhere in the coach, I'd follow the steps given previously.

oldelmer1

Thanks again Dan, I like to unplug things when not in use, so I will hit the breaker and the inverter.

G_S

We just bought our Landmark Key West a few weeks ago. The refrigerator is beautiful, if only it worked. The dealership and frigidair are having trouble finding a repair shop that will work on them in an RV. Any suggestions ?
The power is on lights and panel go on, but will not get cold. Has anyone had this problem? Is it something I can do myself?

G_S

danemayer

We just bought our Landmark Key West a few weeks ago. The refrigerator is beautiful, if only it worked. The dealership and frigidair are having trouble finding a repair shop that will work on them in an RV. Any suggestions ?
The power is on lights and panel go on, but will not get cold. Has anyone had this problem? Is it something I can do myself?

G_S
Hi G_S,

If you have a 2016, depending on when built, it may have door latches screwed into the top of the refrigerator. Heartland was doing this a while back and the screws sometimes punctured the freon lines. If you have those latches, call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. They'll probably have to get you a new refrigerator.

And you may want to call them even if you don't have those latches.