2013 Dodge mega cab / 2014 cyclone 3110 toy hauler too high in front ??????

thirdtimeround

Anyone suffering from the nose of their toy Haulers being too high in front? MY Dodge is all stock. Mega cab 4x4. Using a Reese Picture frame adapter and a Curt Q20 slider hitch. I have one set of holes in the pin plate that would maybe give 3''. Problem then is the hitch pin plate would probably hit the bed sides and gate. The only fix I see is raising the trailer axles with blocks as the truck sits dead level with the 5th wheel hooked. Ideas????? Mike

DW_Gray

Could you post a side view picture of your rig? What is the current clearance between the nose and bed-rails?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

DW_Gray

Unfortunately I'm away from my desktop. There are instructions on the forum. It may be helpful to switch to the advanced mode of posting. Look for the picture icon. Someone will be here soon to help you.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

danemayer

When you post a reply, above the text box where you type, there are various controls for font, font size, color, emoticons. "Insert Image" is the third button from the right. It should allow you to browse your computer to upload a picture file.

Cjackg

The Curt hitches usually have 3 height adjustments as install setting. Which height setting is yours using?

I will soon be dealing with a similar setup for a 3110 and am very interested to hear how this is resolved.
Maybe some other 3110 owners with similar tow equipment can help resolve this?

Last edited:

thirdtimeround

Adjustment is at the lowest point . There is no further adjustment on the 5th wheel. There is another set of holes about 3'' higher on the pin plate. Problem there is, it looks like it will hit the bed sides and tailgate. Oh that nice plastic cover would not fit anymore without being sliced and diced quite a bit. I have no problem doing that, I'm worried about the truck bed. Mike

porthole

Retired
One of the deciding factors when I bought my new truck 3 years ago was the bed height.

Of the big three, SRW or DRW, the Ford dually was 3-4" lower at the bed. IIRC, the GM SRW was the highest "fender height. Not only are SRW's riding higher from the start, but GM raised the height of the bed/box side panels.

Problem then is the hitch pin plate would probably hit the bed sides and gate.

Not sure what you mean here.

Adding blocks would be the last thing I would consider, but may be necessary. Are your axles under or over the springs? Under giving you the most height.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
My son and I replaced the center equalizer hanger with some taller ones on our last fiver and it leveled the coach perfectly. If I remember right we went 4 inches taller. We spent more time jacking up our coach than we did installing them.

http://www.pacifictrailers.com/6-triangular-trailer-equalizer-rocker-bar-13-10-EQ-310-082600/

Anyone suffering from the nose of their toy Haulers being too high in front? MY Dodge is all stock. Mega cab 4x4. Using a Reese Picture frame adapter and a Curt Q20 slider hitch. I have one set of holes in the pin plate that would maybe give 3''. Problem then is the hitch pin plate would probably hit the bed sides and gate. The only fix I see is raising the trailer axles with blocks as the truck sits dead level with the 5th wheel hooked. Ideas????? Mike

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I had the same issues as you with our Sundance and safely correct I by........
First maintain a 6" bed rail to bottom of 5er clearance by adjusting your bed hitch height.
Install a pinned spacer block between the bottom of the spring pack a top of the axle perch. (need to buy longer Ubolts).
Consider larger dia. wheels and taller tires.
Trim the bottom of he hitch pin plastic cover so it's not lower than the steel hitch in plate.

taken

Our 30C was also nose high. I had raised the pinbox to it's topmost holes and dropped my hitch to it's bottom holes and I was still nose high. So, I added the bolt on version of the Correct Track 2 system. My axles didn't need alignment, but the system also gives you a 2" lift which got me as close to level as I am going to get behind my F350. You could do the same.

Cjackg

Our 30C was also nose high. I had raised the pinbox to it's topmost holes and dropped my hitch to it's bottom holes and I was still nose high. So, I added the bolt on version of the Correct Track 2 system. My axles didn't need alignment, but the system also gives you a 2" lift which got me as close to level as I am going to get behind my F350. You could do the same.
I thought the new Cyclones came with Correct Track already installed.... Is this different from the HL installed feature?

taken

They just started coming with it installed. Not sure if the op has the factory version (weld on) or not but if he doesn't, the bolt on version gives a 2" lift.

Cjackg

but, does the HL factory version give some lift to the Cyclone height, or only the bolt on version...?

danemayer

There are 2 versions of CorrectTrack. The after-market bolt-on version raises the trailer 2". The factory install is welded and doesn't use the brackets that cause the 2" lift, so no lift.

I'm not positive, but I'd be surprised if the after-market version could be installed where the factory-installed version is already in place.

thirdtimeround

Guys appreciate all the ideas. Spoke to Lippert today. About Rust and nose high. 1st ,axle is below the spring and I asked about axle blocks/spacers. I got a big no ! 2nd , I have to try and adjust the pin box up to the next set of holes about 3''. The plastic cover I can slice and dice to make work. 3rd, Lippert said I should run 2-1/2 -3'' of 5th wheel to bed rail clearance ,then I asked 1 more time and he said 4'' would be just fine. All those figures sound very close to a (bad ending to a good day). Your thoughts???? I'm down all the way with Curt Q-20. We agreed that the pictures I sent showed my truck being perfectly level, so no lowering the truck. I asked, is it (not safe) to not have an un- level rig,Yes sir. Isn't bad to be loading the rear most axle more than the front,yes sir. Not to mention tires,Yes sir. Rust was agreed is heavy but not their fault . So I have no real answers ,other than Your Check has been cashed, Good luck.

danemayer

4" bed rail clearance is pretty thin.

Reading all this is seems like the truck sits high and I don't see anyone posting that they have the same truck and don't have a problem.

What size tires are on the truck? Maybe there's a lower profile tire that would help.

taken

I gave you an answer. Raise your pinbox as high as it can go. Lower your hitch as low as it can go. Then add Correct Track to gain 2" if still needed. It's a cheap easy fix. Not sure why you're calling Lippert and making more out of it than is necessary.

Hippy

I have the same problem with my 3110. I have to figure out what to do. That's part of the reason I lost my spare a month ago.

Hippy

The photo you see has the airtrailer pin box which kept loosing air and sat to low in my bed even though the trailer was almost level.
Eventually the pin box did minor damage to the inside of the bed.
A Reese pin box was recommended so I switched and now it clears the bed but the front of the Cyclone is to high.