Toilet does not hold water in bowl

WeRWilsons

Hi everyone,

I have a Bighorn 3100, I believe the toilet is made by Sealand? Anyway...the ball valve in the toilet will not close all the way and allows the water in the bowl to drain. I have sprayed it multiple times with a water proof silicone and worked the mechanism with the water off. Seems liked that worked briefly one time, but since then the problem persists. Anybody have any idea what I can do to adjust that valve? Appreciate the help.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

WeRWilsons

If you have a Sealand 210 toilet, here's the manual for it from the Tools section at the top of the page. Could be either there is some mineral build up on the seal that needs to be cleaned, bad seal, or the spring cartridge needs replacing due to old age. If you have a different model, you should be able to find the manual on the Dometic or Sealand website.

http://manuals.heartlandowners.org/manuals/Plumbing/Toilet/Sealand/SeaLand_Toilet_SC_210.pdf

Perfect...Thanks John... I will download it and hopefully be able to follow the diagrams to get the problem resolved. Appreciate the response

Birchwood

Take the bowel off and get rid of the mineral deposits on the rubbers.Apply some vaseline lightly to the rubbers.You may also want to clean the plastic ball very lightly.If this procedure fails order new rubbers from Sealand/Dometic.

JohnDar

Almost forgot. If you've never changed the seals on the toilet since it was installed (2008?), then it's a good chance that's the problem. Replacement is easy and about $30, if I recall. Had to do mine two years ago due to the bowl leaking. You can get the parts at most RV parts dealers, or order them online.

Rrloren

Had similar problem and while you may need to replace seals as suggested I would first try a standard toilet brush and swirl it around the seal real good then see what happens, that worked for me.

aatauses

I am not sure of the age of the toilet, but if you call Sealand with the vin number they may??? send you the rubber seals. Takes about 1/2 hr to change out---remember to turn off water and disconnect the vacuum hose before starting.
al
currently Graham, WA

WeRWilsons

Thanks everybody for the great suggestions...I will certainly try to get the problem resolved using all of your suggestions.

happykraut

I've successfully repaired a leaking bowl on another SOB by running a cotton swab around the valve "seat".

wdk450

I regularly do the standard bowl brush, have replaced the seal last Fall, used the seal conditioner chemical. Still the seal intermittently leaks, leaking out the column of water between me and the sewer gasses. Lately I have added stepping on the pedal about 5 times after each use to hopefully clear the seals/ball of any debris. It seems to hold water much more of the time now.

jnbhobe

I was told to press the petal all the way down and slide your foot to the side and let it slam shut, that has worked fine for me for two years unless the grandkids are with us.

wdk450

I was told to press the petal all the way down and slide your foot to the side and let it slam shut, that has worked fine for me for two years unless the grandkids are with us.

You'd better have the seat down when you do this. Mine splashes back at me when I do this.

JohnDar

Neither has mine. I replaced the OEM seals four years ago. No problem since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WeRWilsons

Thanks for all the advice...got to the point when the ball valve would not open at all when we were attending the Oregon chapter rally. Went to Porters RV and just purchased a whole new toilet and thanks to John Kramer and Chuck Hale I was able to get it installed and toss the old one in the garbage!!! Honestly felt great throwing it away!!!